WTF Holy crap, have you seen this? V. Quadruple Amputee Gets 2 Thumbs Up

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,249
Steam
asastang
Last edited by a moderator:
likes.png
likes.png

The news I heard earlier was that the nerves will actually grow down the arm, about an 1" a month and pretty much fully restore sensation and movement.
So I guess for the next couple of months he can give himself a stranger.

The news I heard earlier was that the nerves will actually grow down the arm, about an 1" a month and pretty much fully restore sensation and movement.
So I guess for the next couple of months he can give himself a stranger.
its good to see you can find even more success in this story

So here's a question I want the answer to. Please Google it for me.

When they replace an organ or an arm in someone, the organ/arm has the original person's cells. When those cells eventually die, aren't they replaced by the recipient human's cells? (Exclude the bone marrow transplant in this article because that's new.)

So here's a question I want the answer to. Please Google it for me.

When they replace an organ or an arm in someone, the organ/arm has the original person's cells. When those cells eventually die, aren't they replaced by the recipient human's cells? (Exclude the bone marrow transplant in this article because that's new.)

Don't cells replicate so could only be made by the parent cell? That would surely mean that the replacement limb would continue to be made up of the donor's cells wouldn't it? A cell replicates the chromosomes so would a DNA test turn out differently if you took a skin scrape from the donor arm or the rest of the body?

I don't biologe much.

The first soldier to be a quadruple amputee got new arms. They did a transplant of (what looked like) the elbow down from a undisclosed, deceased donor.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/29/health/vet-arm-transplant/index.html

It boggles my mind that we have actually gotten to this point. This is fucking amazing.
@Mortlach I know you'll like this if you haven't seen it yet.

damn that is amazing, surgery has become unbelievable, we can do this, we can replace a hip with two small 1cm insizions...shit what a world

Don't cells replicate so could only be made by the parent cell? That would surely mean that the replacement limb would continue to be made up of the donor's cells wouldn't it? A cell replicates the chromosomes so would a DNA test turn out differently if you took a skin scrape from the donor arm or the rest of the body?

I don't biologe much.
I don't biology much either, but I agree with this logic.

Pretty sure you have to take the anti rejection meds forever, I don't think the human body is able to assimilate the new organ into itself and resequence its DNA to match yours. Would be pretty awesome if that did happen tho

I don't biologe much.

I think there is a condition called chimera-ism in animals (and humans) in which a twin is absorbed back into one body and there are two sets of DNA in one person

Saw it on CSI, so there may need to take that with a grain of salt.

I think there is a condition called chimera-ism in animals (and humans) in which a twin is absorbed back into one body and there are two sets of DNA in one person

Saw it on CSI, so there may need to take that with a grain of salt.
Truth is stranger than fiction. This is an actual well documented condition. I saw a thing about this on the discovery channel (a couple years back) and read a lot about it. Here's a decent article.

http://www.academia.edu/202539/Which_Half_Is_Mommy_Tetragametic_Chimerism_and_Trans-Subjectivity

There was also that case a while back of that girl who's body changed to accept the new organ and she no longer needed anti-rejection meds anymore. I can't find a link but I know I read that one. I wonder if they can get this to happen more with the bone marrow injections and whatnot.