Pics Hobby Thread

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥83,255
Steam
mattressfish
I've started a new hobby and thought you should know about it. Coffee roasting!

We've got a great local place to get green beans (which is what they are called before roasting). I just chose their base beans which was $30 for 5 pounds. Green coffee is CHEAP! Then I went and picked up a cheap coffee roaster off Ebay. This thing:

So far, I've found about 350g seems to be the sweet spot for roasting with this thing. The roasting is clear from perfect, but you'd expect that for $60. Coffee roasting is a rabbit hole and some of the elite home roasters will run you >$1000. I figured I'd try it out and if I liked it, I could dive down deeper into it.

Anyway, after about 20-30 minutes, and then a 24 hour rest on a sheet pan, @APRIL and I have some of the freshest coffee possible! I'm still a troglodyte and don't really 'get' all the weird flavors that aficionado attribute to coffee like bubble gum, stone fruit, etc. But it tastes good, and that's good enough for me!

Result:

G8LbIDh.jpg

Now post pics of your hobbies.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Kind of a hobby, I spend a lot of time doing service work in a recovery community, which is super rewarding. It involves organizing and putting on presentations in front of a few hundred people, which was way out of my comfort zone, but apparently I do it well. No pics allowed, lol

I fiddle-fart around with old machinery because analog computation fascinates me.

View attachment 16162
You might be a right cunt at the moment but nomograms fascinate me.

I also like repairing watches. Oppressing minorities. Analog photography equipment and lockpicking. They aren't the most spectacularly photogenic things.

received_776292693130871.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of a hobby, I spend a lot of time doing service work in a recovery community, which is super rewarding. It involves organizing and putting on presentations in front of a few hundred people, which was way out of my comfort zone, but apparently I do it well. No pics allowed, lol
whats the measurable outcome of that? Are the presentations educational to help folks aware of help and opportunities, or motivational, or what?

whats the measurable outcome of that? Are the presentations educational to help folks aware of help and opportunities, or motivational, or what?
Mostly to inform members of the different types of outreach we do, ie to Professionals, Corrections work, Treatment Centers, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
That's awesome. Were you actually on the other side of one of those presentations before?

You might be a right cunt at the moment but nomograms fascinate me.

I also like repairing watches. Oppressing minorities. Analog photography equipment and lockpicking. They aren't the most spectacularly photogenic things.

View attachment 16163
How long did it take before you were successful the first time? I remember ordering a kit, and being frustrated within about 15 mintes.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I've started a new hobby and thought you should know about it. Coffee roasting!

We've got a great local place to get green beans (which is what they are called before roasting). I just chose their base beans which was $30 for 5 pounds. Green coffee is CHEAP! Then I went and picked up a cheap coffee roaster off Ebay. This thing:

So far, I've found about 350g seems to be the sweet spot for roasting with this thing. The roasting is clear from perfect, but you'd expect that for $60. Coffee roasting is a rabbit hole and some of the elite home roasters will run you >$1000. I figured I'd try it out and if I liked it, I could dive down deeper into it.

Anyway, after about 20-30 minutes, and then a 24 hour rest on a sheet pan, @APRIL and I have some of the freshest coffee possible! I'm still a troglodyte and don't really 'get' all the weird flavors that aficionado attribute to coffee like bubble gum, stone fruit, etc. But it tastes good, and that's good enough for me!

Result:

G8LbIDh.jpg

Now post pics of your hobbies.
I think I read that if you don't let em rest then they offgas and make fizzy coffee? Have you tried that yet?

I cut handle molds with the laser cutter so I can easily make different handles for my mugs. This was last nights version. I have about 5 more designs to test as well.7AA48525-1C54-45D0-9CFB-E205FC145361.jpeg

• Love
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly and tre
How long did it take before you were successful the first time? I remember ordering a kit, and being frustrated within about 15 mintes.
Im assuming you mean lockpicking.

So, that's how it went for me at first as well. Then it became a job skill so I applied myself a bit. Once you get a few easy locks open you get a feel for it and it is more fun to understand why something isnt working than to be completely mystified. The tools are semi important, understanding how locks work is more important.

It really is kinda something you just need a feel for. There is a guy on youtube called TheLockpickingLawyer who collects gun and posts lockpicking videos. Very informative.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly