Pics Hobby Thread

did you....pay for it? thats like a 900-2000 dollar slab.

Although im not familiar with pecan pricing

Pecan and hickory are currently pretty inexpensive, unless you factor in how many tools you dull when you work with 'em.
Yup. Most nut stuff is pretty cheap unless it has unique figure and that looks like it has voids.

Yup. Most nut stuff is pretty cheap unless it has unique figure and that looks like it has voids.
It was briefly popular, and expensive about 10 years ago, but then everyone started painting their wood furniture and cabinetry white, so wood figure stopped mattering.

It was briefly popular, and expensive about 10 years ago, but then everyone started painting their wood furniture and cabinetry white, so wood figure stopped mattering.
Eh thats that rustic/country thing in diy mags, higher end stuff is still all shellac/French polish. You could also just oil it. It's not really enough for part of a building, maybe a table/ end table set. I mean if the grain is interesting you could do a chest of drawers.

Eh thats that rustic/country thing in diy mags, higher end stuff is still all shellac/French polish. You could also just oil it. It's not really enough for part of a building, maybe a table/ end table set. I mean if the grain is interesting you could do a chest of drawers.
I have a whole load of custom furniture in hickory because I love the way it looks. Part of the reason I bought my current house is that it's got a load of custom cabinetry (installed by complete incompetents) in hickory.

I mourn the loss of the built-in I had at my old house, because it was an amazing piece of work done in hickory - bookshelves on either side of two windows, a spanning bookshelf over the top, and a set of bancos with cushions under the windows for a reading nook, and a set of drawers on either side under the side bookshelves. It took up a whole wall in my dining room, and I loved it.

Seems like everyone's kitchen is painted white now though. I won't do it, but I'm also comfortable with people looking at my bullshit like I'm living with honey oak with routed finger-pulls.

I have a whole load of custom furniture in hickory because I love the way it looks. Part of the reason I bought my current house is that it's got a load of custom cabinetry (installed by complete incompetents) in hickory.

I mourn the loss of the built-in I had at my old house, because it was an amazing piece of work done in hickory - bookshelves on either side of two windows, a spanning bookshelf over the top, and a set of bancos with cushions under the windows for a reading nook, and a set of drawers on either side under the side bookshelves. It took up a whole wall in my dining room, and I loved it.

Seems like everyone's kitchen is painted white now though. I won't do it, but I'm also comfortable with people looking at my bullshit like I'm living with honey oak with routed finger-pulls.
I can't remember what it's called but in the early 1900s built in cabinets/counters weren't popular. There was like one large cabinet that did everything. My grandmother had one. They even had a built in flour dispenser above the countertop.

Anyway I've seen a few made in Birdseye maple and the like.

I don't like white kitchens either, it's very 80s. Tile counters and white painted stuff. If you ever read some fine homebuilding mags from the 80s you'll some really 80s kitchens with drywall returns and just ick.

I can't remember what it's called but in the early 1900s built in cabinets/counters weren't popular. There was like one large cabinet that did everything. My grandmother had one. They even had a built in flour dispenser above the countertop.

Anyway I've seen a few made in Birdseye maple and the like.

I don't like white kitchens either, it's very 80s. Tile counters and white painted stuff. If you ever read some fine homebuilding mags from the 80s you'll some really 80s kitchens with drywall returns and just ick.
I've got a very early '00s kitchen, with dark granite countertops, a fake stone backsplash, and wood grain cabinets.

I need to redo the backsplash and the crown moulding, but I've got a bunch of things higher on the list to address before that, so I'll keep re-gluing the fake stone and ignoring the awful miter joints in the crown and go on with life.

• Haha
Reactions: fly
I've got a very early '00s kitchen, with dark granite countertops, a fake stone backsplash, and wood grain cabinets.

I need to redo the backsplash and the crown moulding, but I've got a bunch of things higher on the list to address before that, so I'll keep re-gluing the fake stone and ignoring the awful miter joints in the crown and go on with life.
Crown should be coped...

Well, mine was mitered, badly.

Probably won't bother with a coped joint on the 270 degree joints, though.
I feel like it's easier most of the time. I've done a lot of finish work and I can't even get miters to look good.