Ontopic History of an Old Car

Oh, hah. Heh. Kinda missed the whole last page of the thread.

Yeah, pretty much what you were doing there, except I was proposing welding the adapter straight to the manifold versus having the adapter bolt on.

Welding cast is a pain in the ass. Brazing would melt the aluminium I'm going to cast these from. Epoxy might actually work, but I would prefer to be able to remove them. If I have to.

Yeah, epoxy isn't gonna hold a dissimilar metal joint together over the wide temperature swings that joint is gonna see.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Gonna need gauges to drive. Past time I actually put them in the car. Need adapters, though so its Solidworks time.

Luna helps. She don't know how, but she helps.
62569ee1d8d91560d0ebede137f034d0.jpg

GTI is now registered and insured, just need to zip tie the new fan controller in place. Time for some road testin' tomorrow.

This post would make perfect sense if you removed the word "controller".

Thoughts?

The rectangular plate is just something I used to put the measurements in. It's not accurate to what the dash is.

Gauges don't fit inside the holes, so you can't use the traditional method of putting it through the hole then using the backing plate to tighten. So, adapter plate that you have to twist lock the new backing plate into.

nEyJP1J.png

faPAf4l.png

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Needs tweaking, but I like it thus far. The hold down that goes over it didn't print accurately, but I can already see it needs work.

And no, final product won't be red.

7ea083a7c154dd677be228d38711b684.jpg

cf5a2c9078ad61cadbbeb660b1025fee.jpg

1ffaef0b3739fe9da1c3f63bf0ec3aef.jpg

32859196645cf251fc3661c0c533d704.jpg

Roll the footage, Jim

So, getting Susie ready for our move to her new garage. She's drivable, gauges are about to go in, everything is going smoothly. Start looking around for a way to register her without paying full registration cost. Friend tells me that he was able to go to the Plant City DMV and get them to run him some sort of "Under construction" tag which allowed you to drive the car between shops while it was getting worked on.
Sounds weird, can't find anything on it, but I have time to visit the DMV and ask, so I do. Lady confirms that's a thing, I just need insurance and $5 and I'm good to go. "Ok" I say, "I'll be back tomorrow afternoon. Thank you very much."

Wander in today and ask them about it. Get puzzled frowns. "Go talk to the lady at #9, she told me yesterday she knew what I was talking about." Lady wanders off, talks to her supervisor and not the person at 9. Supervisor comes over and says "We don have whatevah it is you ah talkin 'bout. We can registah da car fo ya unda normal registration as ye've already had it registahd in da past, but we don have nuffin like that"
".... Ok, well how much will it be?"
"It's a classic, so $38 until ya birthday"
"Holy shit, then how much is it for a full year?"
"$38 fo dah year"
"There's no discount I get for having the car registered for only two months?"
"Nah"

Fucking DMV

• Gravy
God damned Carter carbs.

The Carter YFA carb (later models) have the accelerator pump inside the fuel bowl. All adjustments are inside the fuel bowl. I've had the fucking lid of the fuel bowl off five times in the past hour trying to figure out this shit and it's being an asspain

Lessee...

Got the parts for the carb in. Got it all together and back on the car. Now I've got a surging at idle, so it looks like the PCV is fucked. New Ford part on order, additionally with that and some research it appears that the air filter housing I had on there is no bueno for the proper setup of the PCV system so I have a new air cleaner I need to clean and paint. Gonna look like boo-boo in the engine bay, but it'll run right. I might still attempt to modify the cleaner I have.

Sorta can see the current air cleaner housing here
https://i.imgur.com/c4Os5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Mygq9rs.jpg

New one here. Seen one of these air cleaners where the guy took two of the snorkels on the left and attached both of them and did tubing to holes in the radiator core support so it was effectively a cold air kit.

Last edited:
This dude is my new inspiration.

Holy shit. So much work, so fucking awesome.

Going through the numbers, a couple of the guys are speculating that he'll be at about 450-480HP at 15PSI

Homemade serpentine setup and reluctor wheel setup
yuLiGGg.jpg

trRTwaX.jpg

m0vVsA8.jpg

3wXQniN.jpg

Plenum spec'd out and a fucking nest of snakes

eHIKu0Q.jpg

rnrV04B.jpg

5mxal6C.jpg

x6ZNO4b.jpg

kUnVtki.jpg

Home grown coil on plug setup

mchoQcQ.jpg

ttjUDlc.jpg

iypa8Xt.jpg

All shoved into a '67

aWmmo4s.jpg

Fucking listen to this thing before the turbo is installed.
Unf
So fucking racecar

• Gravy
Take car out for a drive Mondayish.

At end of the drive, stop by someplace and get ~12 gallons of ethanol only fuel. FeelsGoodMan.jpg

Head home, park.

Come in through the garage today, realize that the fuel tank is leaking my nice expensive ethanol only fuel onto the garage floor. No time to deal with it till at least Friday afternoon

Xcudhkn.gif