Hawt History of an old boat

"If you pick at a scab, it'll just take longer to heal"
Its probably a good thing that I like to pick at things while I'm working on other stuff, but damn it gets annoying sometimes.

I noticed that with the recent rain a leaf had gotten trapped under one corner of that bad patch next to my most recent repair, so I kind of picked at it. Then I went and got some tools, aaaaaannnnnd.....

Ich8sNy.jpg

O23hAbO.jpg

It kind of looks like the boat got dropped on a block or something? Looking at the imprint, it kind of reminds me of when Marv got a brick thrown at his head.

h4n4zljqnvovfo2nke96.gif

It was separating from the hull at least 1-2 inches in all around. It probably would have held if the boat was just floating, but getting on the water, flexing, getting hit by the waves and such, I gave it a 50-50 split on whether it would come up.
I mean, it's definitely a good thing I picked at it and went for it, but damn is it annoying to keep finding this shit.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
My hair is long. I found a cute lil hairband of the wife's in order to keep my hair out of my eyes and sweat out of my work.
@Immigrant, you can save any and all of these

So many bugs got in here till I turned the lights off and went in.

MkQJd4k.jpg

cWjHIHE.jpg

KdJi7W0.jpg

I don't know if I posted about these stupid ass things. I think I did in the MMS thread? I was looking for new ones cause I'm missing a few.

bR0ZkjG.jpg

Anywho
Ordered some 1/16" 316L TiG welding rod. What I got was undersized. Not sure what was up with that.
I grabbed an old 5HP driveshaft. Vice gripped one end onto the driveshaft and cranked down on it. Didn't work that well.

GkVy2Kz.jpg

MzN4K4J.jpg

So, scratched my head a bit, did some google, found a couple wire-forming videos and scratched my head some more. Fired up Solidworks and made a little dildo.

qoGk13k.png
g02PLRt.png

4.5 hours and a couple yards of filament later. Result is not 100% as tight as I want it to be, but I think it will work, have to finish the mounting eyes but that's nothing. Maybe when I install it I can tension it so it closes the spring up? Or I might just leave it be.

NrGj5LX.jpg

UwdXbJq.jpg

I don't know if I posted about these stupid ass things. I think I did in the MMS thread? I was looking for new ones cause I'm missing a few.

bR0ZkjG.jpg

Anywho
Ordered some 1/16" 316L TiG welding rod. What I got was undersized. Not sure what was up with that.
I grabbed an old 5HP driveshaft. Vice gripped one end onto the driveshaft and cranked down on it. Didn't work that well.

GkVy2Kz.jpg

MzN4K4J.jpg

So, scratched my head a bit, did some google, found a couple wire-forming videos and scratched my head some more. Fired up Solidworks and made a little dildo.

qoGk13k.png
g02PLRt.png

4.5 hours and a couple yards of filament later. Result is not 100% as tight as I want it to be, but I think it will work, have to finish the mounting eyes but that's nothing. Maybe when I install it I can tension it so it closes the spring up? Or I might just leave it be.

NrGj5LX.jpg

UwdXbJq.jpg
It's cool what you did, but is that going to actually spring, repeatedly? Usually you start with untempered spring steel, do all bends, then heat and quench to harden for springiness. I guess if they're not springy enough you at least have your jig so it will be quick if you remake. I think what you want is 1mm "piano wire", which is usually sold untempered. I know the welding wire will harden - but that's going to be hard to dial in right. Muds people use PW for modelforming - torch and quench when done, stiff like a :) hey, it's SUnday morning!
And good job ;)

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
It’s springy on some,level to someone like me. It has coils and looks like it would return to its original shape after flexed a smidge. The pic helps.

I wasn't making springs. I was making cable guides. Does the first thing posted look like it acts like a spring?
Actually yes, there is obviously a coiled section for springiness or someone went to a stupid amount of effort at that area. What, coil wire until it fills a gap in "space"? I'm sure those were intended to guide and spring/flex a bit. If the springiness isn't needed then you repeated the original manufacturing inefficiency - @Jehannum , please berate him properly, my work here is done.

Was there any need to be so surly? Here I thought we were making headway - I've been trying on my end. :):F

See, that wasn't so hard. RIght below the plant we see a cable guide, and it is flexing at one end because the cable is bending it - or did you have to do that? THis explains the need(maybe) or desire to create something springy like that piece - rather than have it try to rip itself off the hull whenever the cable is tensioned. Germans would do something like a swiveling piece. Swiss would go full retard and make a channel the length of the boat. :)

Add: on further consideration, imHo your piece is destined to fail. The thinner wire will flex, as seen. The thinner wire will dig a hole in the cable jacket faster. The thinner wire will work it's way out from under the screws - the original piece was sturdy enough to support itself, not the other way around. I honestly think a thicker piece of wire/rod would have been easier to work. Sure, you'd have to get it hotter but as you made each bend that sob wouldn't be moving around on you. Then when you were done you could take to cherry and temper, harden/soften or anneal as desired. Maybe play with a spare piece of this theoretical spare rod to figure out if you're working with air or liquid hardening stuff. I do that type of thing habitually.

Last edited:

Also, fuck your headway. You tried to get me in trouble at my job. You did an absolutely laughable job at it, but you're a fucking asshole. I neither need nor want to make headway with you. Go the fuck away and leave me the fuck alone.

Nobody contacted anyone,you were never un danger scooter. I merely pointed how careless you were being, potentionally. I had a decent result for my effort. You got it.