Pics History of an Old Boat

Inordinately happy with the color match of this. Just a rattlecan from O'Reillys, but its real close to stock. Lower unit had no paint on it previously, now it'll look better than the rest of the motor.

First time playing around with bondo as well, the skeg was all sorts of chewed on, didn't get everything but what I did I'm happy with. I'll upload some before pics and post em.
That looks like Pontiac blue. Good choice.

Not my choice, just the closest to stock

Rkr3pXw.jpg

So, loaded the boat up today, wandered around to the three boat places that have a fiberglass guy near me (one of them was recommended by people as far as 30 miles away, actually)

First guy didn't want anything to do with me.
Second was the guy recommended by most of the people, including the guy 30 miles away. More on him in a bit.
Third was a guy that wanted $275 for the repairs

Guy #2 came out and saw the boat on the trailer and instantly got excited. Wanted to know what year, who made it, where it was from, did I have pictures of it completely together, etc etc etc. Started to take a look at it and noticed the actual issues with it other than my immediate concerns with the cracks and patches that needed to be fixed. He started on a list of what could be done to improve the boat and make it more reliable, modified that list when I told him what these boats were known to do in the case of faults of the boats (mainly there's a lot of twist/flexibility along the central axis, I have been planning to add internal aluminum ribs to help offset this)

In short, he got almost excited about the boat as I am. He started talking about how he wanted to show the completed project on his social media. Then he did the best thing.
He quoted me a price of roughly $1850 for all repairs, about $400 less if I did the sanding/grinding on the interior of the boat to get the gelcoat down. Then I tried to put a little bit of a slow down on his enthusiasm, I told him I was still a student and we talked about that briefly. When I mentioned my major, he recognized that I likely have the skills to do the work myself so he offered to allow me to bring the boat down, he'd teach me how to do the work, and basically only charge me for the materials and the small amount of time he'd be working on the boat. Said that depending on how much time I had, it might take a month and cost $400.

I think I'll be returning to him.

So, loaded the boat up today, wandered around to the three boat places that have a fiberglass guy near me (one of them was recommended by people as far as 30 miles away, actually)

Second was the guy recommended by most of the people, including the guy 30 miles away. More on him in a bit.

Guy #2 came out and saw the boat on the trailer and instantly got excited. Wanted to know what year, who made it, where it was from, did I have pictures of it completely together, etc etc etc. Started to take a look at it and noticed the actual issues with it other than my immediate concerns with the cracks and patches that needed to be fixed. He started on a list of what could be done to improve the boat and make it more reliable, modified that list when I told him what these boats were known to do in the case of faults of the boats (mainly there's a lot of twist/flexibility along the central axis, I have been planning to add internal aluminum ribs to help offset this)

In short, he got almost excited about the boat as I am. He started talking about how he wanted to show the completed project on his social media. Then he did the best thing.
He quoted me a price of roughly $1850 for all repairs, about $400 less if I did the sanding/grinding on the interior of the boat to get the gelcoat down. Then I tried to put a little bit of a slow down on his enthusiasm, I told him I was still a student and we talked about that briefly. When I mentioned my major, he recognized that I likely have the skills to do the work myself so he offered to allow me to bring the boat down, he'd teach me how to do the work, and basically only charge me for the materials and the small amount of time he'd be working on the boat. Said that depending on how much time I had, it might take a month and cost $400.

I read all that and you assholes didnt even kiss at the end??

so i presume the $275 guy would do a half-assed job?

otherwise he seems the clear choice

so i presume the $275 guy would do a half-assed job?

otherwise he seems the clear choice
How so?

In #3, I have the guy do a couple of patches, then I have to do the entire rest of it myself with all of my own tools. Paint, re-gelcoat the interior, so on and so forth.

Guy #2 teaches me how to do everything, I get to use all of his tools, and I improve the boat. I get to paint and gelcoat the boat using professional tools with a guy that does this all day every day. Difference in price of an additional $125 reflects the increase in the amount of materials consumed (for instance, reinforcing the boat will mean fiberglass cloth and resin along the interior roughly where the waterline would be with the boat fully loaded and floating neutrally.)

Maybe I wasn't clear on something in the original post.

ah, i figured they were all the same scope of work.

275 = finished boat vs 400 and you do all the work yourself.