Pics History of an Old Boat

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,701
Steam
asastang
For all pictures, click them to get a higher res version

So a while back a friend gave me a '60s era Herter's fish finder.

It was interesting, and it works. Looking up information about it made me find out a bit about George Herter, the guy who started Herter's.

George Herter's stores were the inspiration for the big box stores of today such as Dick's Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shop, etc. Herter was a little bit crazypants, but in a good way. Everything he made was award winning and world famous, even if it wasn't. George Herter wrote the copy for all of his magazines, and instinctively knew what would cause his items to sell. Herter's writing genius extended to actual books with such titles as "How to Get Out of the Rat Race and Live on $10 a Month" and a marriage guide titled "How to Live With a Bitch." which includes such wondrous tidbits as "under no circumstances call your wife a bitch."
He did other weird shit, he'd bring in raw aluminum and actually cast it in his factories for the fittings and trim for his boats.

I was visiting my mom's place for Easter this year and the dog chased some turkeys through her neighbor's yard. I saw this boat hanging out in the backyard.
I wandered over and took a look at it. It was fairly solid, and had some very interesting aluminum trim on it. Then I noticed that the bowcap had a Herter's mark on it. Asked the neighbor, Ted, about it. He said he'd had it for about 10-15 years and always planned to do something about it, but never got around to it.

I asked if he had any plans for it and he said that he no longer did, then asked if I wanted to take it home. I said I'd like it, but was concerned about the hull because of how long it had been sitting on the ground.
Ted rolled it over and cleaned it out, it was solid, so I said I'd come over and pick it up. Memorial day came and everyone converged on mom's place and I brought a trailer.

So I started trying to figure out what year it was. Then I ran into more Herter's weirdness. See, Herter wrote the copy for his catalogs. He'd happily change shit up to try and one-up the competition, or because something sounded better.
The Mark III was produced from 1956 to 1961, the '56-57 boats were very similar to each other, the '58 models started to grow fins, and then the '59-61 models had bigger fins and were sometimes mistaken for the Herter's Flying Fish.. The 1956 catalog shows the horsepower capacity at 16 HP, except up to 25 HP for Mercury or Champion motors. I don’t know why this exception was listed, possibly because of transom height or the motor clamping system. In 1957 it jumps to 75 HP on essentially the same boat. This is a mistake or George was pushing on the competition. Herters did have one measurement, amidship width, that differed between the 56 and 57 Mark III, in various catalogs, but there was no consistency. Usually the 56 was listed with 55 in. width and the 57 at 60 in. But, there are also catalogs with the 56 at 60 in. and the 57 at 62.

So I got it home, cleaned it out further, started the disassembly to restore it. Decided that I wanted to do the boat equivalent of a rolling restoration. I'll get it registered, fix the immediately broken stuff, and take it to boat meet. Let people see it as it gets cleaned up.

Unfortunately, as I was cleaning it, I realized the seat supports need some serious love. The previous previous owner before me was not that intelligent. For the front seat support, he bolted it to a piece of pressure treated wood and did not keep it out of the wet. This sets up an electrochemical cell and the chemicals in the PT wood eat away at the aluminum. The difference between these two brackets is at least two decades of chemical reaction.
Happily, I know a guy that does castings, so I'll be able to get a replacement done up with a minimum of effort. In the meantime I'll be using the rear seat's bracket for the front seat.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: gee and adi
One of the other issues I have with the boat is the steering system. The pulleys are nylon and old and coming apart, the steering wheel needs to be replaced, and the steering columns have a habit of rotating. I'll also need to pick up a decent amount of stainless steel hardware to replace a lot of the bullshit that's fucked up.

The column spins because there's nothing preventing it. The two angled pieces basically hold it on with tension. You see a lot of people trying to screw in sheet metal screws to prevent it from spinning. I'm going to put some ribs on the inside then helicoil them, then I'll screw in some screws from the backside of the firewall.

Recently I've started trying to clean the old crappy paint off. I don't want to use any harsh chemicals as I'm not sure what it'll do to the fiberglass. I haven't started cleaning the portside, but I have started the starboard.

Happily a lot of it seems to be coming up real easily.

I've got a '55 25HP Evinrude that should push it to 40MPH or so. Picked it up, the shifter and throttle, and a gas can for $100.

Last edited:
That's pretty damn cool Asa. My Dad's old fishing motor was a 7.5 Evinrude looked exactly like that but was I think a '56. Was the most reliable boat motor I've ever seen and felt stronger than its horses.

That is an awesome project. I'm really jealous you have the opportunity and skills to do something like that.
There's a UK chapter of the AOMCI, the group of old outboard guys that I hang out with. I know a lot of old motors got over there, including some that we don't normally see over here.
If they are at all like the guys over here, they'd be happy to help you acquire the skills and help provide the opportunity.
http://www.tradboat2.co.uk/

That's pretty damn cool Asa. My Dad's old fishing motor was a 7.5 Evinrude looked exactly like that but was I think a '56. Was the most reliable boat motor I've ever seen and felt stronger than its horses.
My first well running motor was a '57 Evinrude 7.5HP. Was a little anemic for my other boat, a 1967 Delhi 12 footer that couldn't get up on plane with it, but it definitely was fun. I've got a second one, and I briefly thought about revising my transom a little bit and running both of them, but it was easier to find a '56 Evinrude 15HP motor. With that I was able to get up to (I think) 24-27 MPH?

Dad still got it?

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: adi
I remember when I was a kid bass pro wasn't a big box store but we had one in a strip mall. It had a bunch of boats in a lot next to it and the store sold almost exclusively fishing stuff, with a few boat things for the basic small boats they had.

Those all disappeared then maybe 5-10 years later the big box stores popped up. In Springfield at their hq they always had a big box store from what I can remember, full of aquariums and stuffed every animal you can imagine. I also remember there being a mcdonalds or something inside the store on the second level.

My first well running motor was a '57 Evinrude 7.5HP. Was a little anemic for my other boat, a 1967 Delhi 12 footer that couldn't get up on plane with it, but it definitely was fun. I've got a second one, and I briefly thought about revising my transom a little bit and running both of them, but it was easier to find a '56 Evinrude 15HP motor. With that I was able to get up to (I think) 24-27 MPH?

Dad still got it?

MDMaqSc.jpg

I think it was sold when they sold the farm and moved to town/retired..

Nowadays I imagine it might seem a little anemic, especially on something fiberglass, but it pushed around a 14ft. Aluminum open tin can with us kids in it just fine.

I think it was sold when they sold the farm and moved to town/retired..

Nowadays I imagine it might seem a little anemic, especially on something fiberglass, but it pushed around a 14ft. Aluminum open tin can with us kids in it just fine.
Just saw the second line, ninja edit?

For the right boat they aren't anemic, it's a combination of things. My fat ass in the back of the boat, a 12 foot boat Vs a 14 foot boat (to a certain extent, a long boat planes better than a shorter boat), general weight placement. A couple of kids well distributed in the boat are going to plane much better than one big dude in the back.
I played around with tiller extensions and the like to try and move to the middle seat. It did a lot better, I almost doubled my MPH, but it felt squirrely so I resigned myself to finding a better motor.

Just saw the second line, ninja edit?

For the right boat they aren't anemic, it's a combination of things. My fat ass in the back of the boat, a 12 foot boat Vs a 14 foot boat (to a certain extent, a long boat planes better than a shorter boat), general weight placement. A couple of kids well distributed in the boat are going to plane much better than one big dude in the back.
I played around with tiller extensions and the like to try and move to the middle seat. It did a lot better, I almost doubled my MPH, but it felt squirrely so I resigned myself to finding a better motor.

Not exactly ninja but thought of more info, yeah.

He always had that motor, but didn't have a boat when we were little. It was cheap to rent a plain Jane open aluminum fishing boat for the weekend or whatever and put that motor on it. 16ft. If he could find it, 14ft. If he couldn't. Him, mom, and 2 kids. I think he knew what he was doing with weight distribution and tiller angle, etc. It would plane.

When we were old enough to drive and take it out ourselves we got a fiberglass something or other with a covered front and steering wheel on it. Called it our "speedboat", haha. Had an old 30 or 35 horse red Johnson on it from the '60's that usually needed a little tweaking to get running and sounded like a f'n diesel coming down the lake but we made it work. He always kept the old trusty Evinrude though until all that stuff got sold, I guess at the farm auction.

Those motors always looked so cool, like they had tailfins like late 50s/early 60s cars.

Not exactly ninja but thought of more info, yeah.

He always had that motor, but didn't have a boat when we were little. It was cheap to rent a plain Jane open aluminum fishing boat for the weekend or whatever and put that motor on it. 16ft. If he could find it, 14ft. If he couldn't. Him, mom, and 2 kids. I think he knew what he was doing with weight distribution and tiller angle, etc. It would plane.

When we were old enough to drive and take it out ourselves we got a fiberglass something or other with a covered front and steering wheel on it. Called it our "speedboat", haha. Had an old 30 or 35 horse red Johnson on it from the '60's that usually needed a little tweaking to get running and sounded like a f'n diesel coming down the lake but we made it work. He always kept the old trusty Evinrude though until all that stuff got sold, I guess at the farm auction.
Smart enough plan, and you don't have to transport the boat either.
I never messed around with the prop either, so that might help.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think in the 60s Johnson went away from the red and the green colored motors and went with a plain white coloring. If it was red and creme colored, it was likely a very late 50s motor.

Those motors always looked so cool, like they had tailfins like late 50s/early 60s cars.
Yeah, I like 'em better than the older opposed cylinder motors like this Speeditwin from 1929

But I think my favorite is the 1954 10HP Johnson QD15. I've got two of them, one has a bad powerhead. I might find another powerhead and get both of them running if possible. It will probably be my first fully restored motor.
They've got these cool ribs on the tower, and a raised Johnson seahorse emblem that everyone goes batty for.

Neither of these are mine, but it's useful for an example.
MuR08dA.jpg

fZ2guX3.jpg

That being said, one day I want to have a polished WaterWitch and a Bendix in my collection. Both of them are very art-deco
3tvc5jc.jpg

The Bendix motors were air cooled

Last edited:
@gee @Jehannum @Domon @Mustard Dispenser

I'm replacing the shaft on the steering column as it was damaged when I removed it from the boat. Originally it was a hollow brass or bronze shaft, threaded on either end for a small nut, and with a couple of holes through it for keys to prevent the steering wheel and the rope pulleys from slipping. It had a plastic bushing on the front and back side of it.
The steering body is cast aluminum.

I'm looking at solid stainless steel, aluminum, or brass rod.
I'll install bushings again once I install the new rod, so I shouldn't need to worry about any sort of galvanic corrosion.

Here's the system, although it's not put together

Last edited:
Smart enough plan, and you don't have to transport the boat either.
I never messed around with the prop either, so that might help.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think in the 60s Johnson went away from the red and the green colored motors and went with a plain white coloring. If it was red and creme colored, it was likely a very late 50s motor.

Yeah, I like 'em better than the older opposed cylinder motors like this Speeditwin from 1929
1ZdSZ0O.jpg

But I think my favorite is the 1954 10HP Johnson QD15. I've got two of them, one has a bad powerhead. I might find another powerhead and get both of them running if possible. It will probably be my first fully restored motor.
They've got these cool ribs on the tower, and a raised Johnson seahorse emblem that everyone goes batty for.

Neither of these are mine, but it's useful for an example.
MuR08dA.jpg

fZ2guX3.jpg

That being said, one day I want to have a polished WaterWitch and a Bendix in my collection. Both of them are very art-deco
3tvc5jc.jpg

The Bendix motors were air cooled
3NQ9Cch.jpg

scyvtE8.jpg

Could've been late 50's. I didn't know exactly, I was like 14 at the time. Looked similar to those green ones but it was red.

And now a want a WaterWitch. :)

Yeah, likely a QD17 or QD18.
KGyFgqZ.jpg

The WaterWitches are pretty machines, aren't they? There is probably a local chapter near you, if you want to go look at the motors and get interested in buying one. Fairly cheap hobby to get into, other than registration I should only be into this one for about $250-300

Yeah, likely a QD17 or QD18.
KGyFgqZ.jpg

The WaterWitches are pretty machines, aren't they? There is probably a local chapter near you, if you want to go look at the motors and get interested in buying one. Fairly cheap hobby to get into, other than registration I should only be into this one for about $250-300

Yup, that's the one.

I'd never seen a WaterWitch before. That thing is a piece of art.

Most stuff where we grew up (Minnesota 70's & 80s) was your typical Evinrude, Johnson, and Mercury, although a friend of mine had a little old 3 or 4 horse that was made by I think Oliver, or somebody that also made tractors.