Hi2u wood rod

Valve1138

I like the AB in the GB
Oct 19, 2004
South Harmon Institute of Technology
Marklar
₥70,389
These are the two of four posts that hold up the front porch roof on my house.

Left:

picture.php

Right:

picture.php

Standard bullshit for the houses in my neighborhood. Deck was framed with pressure treated wood. The posts are regular Doug Fir. Makes a great recipe for water damage. Especially with the fir deck boards that are right against the posts so water get's trapped and rots.:rolleyes:

There's no danger of anything collapsing, the rot is just beginning, but the bottom portion of the posts will have to be replaced with pressure treated.

In short, highly annoying.

At least the weather will be good this weekend so I can take care of this.

This actually is very mild for my neighborhood. One guy had all six of his rot out completely. Another homeowner actually just went through what I am the other week.

replace with pressure treated, but i also recommend booting the things with metal flashing if you can shingle it into the column wrappers above properly.

i hate rotting wood. i'm glad it doesn't seem to do that nearly as often down here.

replace with pressure treated, but i also recommend booting the things with metal flashing if you can shingle it into the column wrappers above properly.

i hate rotting wood. i'm glad it doesn't seem to do that nearly as often down here.

I was thinking Vicor instead of flashing.

But it'll fine when I'm done with it. The decking won't butt right up to the posts so water won't get trapped.

And I'll have a gutter put up so the water won't come crashing down on the corners.

Kind of.

It's odd, on some things they cheaped out on, yet on others they spent a lot of money.

The finish work was all done with birch, which ain't cheap. The plumber did an excellent job, shut off valves everywhere you'd want them.

The electrician cheaped out big time. 100amp service, direct buried wire (legal at the time), and absolutely no wire nuts in the whole house. They actually decided not to use wire nuts. Everything is either crimped and taped, or they left the wire long and stripped a little insulation off to wrap it around the screw of the device if there was something like 3 light switches. :tard:

If vicor gets damp behind it it comes off >.> I put some on after a rain storm once. We get terribad rot here too, and some kinda green mold that actually grows on PT lumber. ><

One post down, one to go.

Ended up installing two additional 2x4 post's to add to the two that were there. That way I didn't have to build a temp support post that just get's tossed anyway. So there's 4 2x4's holding that corner up now.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the other one.

Looks like it's time to sell.

If you put up gutters use the expensive $1 a peice gutter screws instead of the nails. damn nails never stay in.