Hi. Your pix go here now.

I'll trust that maths. How much is your gallon price that youre moaning about?

Our energy price set rate runs out next month and after that its a guaranteed 100% rise to about $500 /month just for electric and gas. Yippee!
Making serfdom great again.

I paid $8.19 for electricity, and $30 for gas last month. Gas appliances used in the month of July were dryer and water heater.

I'll trust that maths. How much is your gallon price that youre moaning about?

Our energy price set rate runs out next month and after that its a guaranteed 100% rise to about $500 /month just for electric and gas. Yippee!
$5ish. I'm not saying it isn't bad but you don't have the commute burden most Americans do.

I have to drive for work though, lets see how long is england, ok so my commute would be Nottingham to Leicester everyday for office stuff. More usually cause I have to go to contract sites for absolutely no reason than other write a report that "Yup everyone is doing what they're supposed to." We're also specifically prohibited from taking public transport. They think NOTHING of sending you to Newport News (200ish miles) as a daytrip. I've complained they have to start reimbursing miles or geographically concentrate their offices but all the management the "work from home crowd" was like it's not that bad!

Actually when I worked for the Best Buy this was also a thing. My manager lived in Chicago and worked from home. I was in DC and she would complain deliveries slowed down about 4pm everyday and I was like yeah CAUSE TRAFFIC ON THE BELTWAY DOESNT MOVE and DC has 10 second lights.

Last edited:
220817955image0000001.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
My latest dumb invention - the deck dick.

Sets a 1/8" space between deck boards, and aligns with the joist below and acts as a guide for putting in screws. Makes things go together real fast.
Amazon product ASIN B006SJKAXE
I mean that's the first one that popped up but it's a pretty common solve. Thing is if you can use a screwgun and eyeball it youll get paid a lot more. One time I saw a buncha dudes do a composite deck in 20 minutes with no misses. I'd go into detail about the process but I doubt anyone cares.

Last edited:
Making serfdom great again.

I paid $8.19 for electricity, and $30 for gas last month. Gas appliances used in the month of July were dryer and water heater.
Important update: it was $8.18 for electricity. That's the connection fee, plus taxes, because I've got net metering credits with my solar PV array.

Important update: it was $8.18 for electricity. That's the connection fee, plus taxes, because I've got net metering credits with my solar PV array.
What's the KwH price

I used to live in a tiny town that weirdly had it's own electric utility because they owned a hydro station and it was like 2c per KwH

What's the KwH price

I used to live in a tiny town that weirdly had it's own electric utility because they owned a hydro station and it was like 2c per KwH
My price per kwh is currently 0, because I have a few thousand kwh banked in my net metered account.

Current scheduled 0-450KWh rate with the utility is 7¢, 451-900 is 12¢, and additional is 14¢, before taxes. I used 1400, produced 900, and pulled 500 out of the credit (it's down to 4700, but I should start banking again in September). There's a $7.11 connection fee, for reasons, I guess.

• Gravy
Reactions: ZRH
My price per kwh is currently 0, because I have a few thousand kwh banked in my net metered account.

Current scheduled 0-450KWh rate with the utility is 7¢, 451-900 is 12¢, and additional is 14¢, before taxes. I used 1400, produced 900, and pulled 500 out of the credit (it's down to 4700, but I should start banking again in September). There's a $7.11 connection fee, for reasons, I guess.
Yeah in NY National Grid is terrible about fees. I used to pay like a $30 connection fee even when using like 2 KwH. That's what I keep telling my landlady is um it's not usage that is eating up the electric it's the fees from BGE. They add on like a clean energy fee, and a connection fee and all kinda shit.

Yeah in NY National Grid is terrible about fees. I used to pay like a $30 connection fee even when using like 2 KwH. That's what I keep telling my landlady is um it's not usage that is eating up the electric it's the fees from BGE. They add on like a clean energy fee, and a connection fee and all kinda shit.
We have the "cost-effective energy saving program" 3.637% fee, and the "city-county franchise" 3% fee, then gross receipts tax (which is assessed on the total after the other fees, of course).

I haven't updated my spreadsheet in a while, but the guaranteed rate (total guaranteed output/total cost of installation of the PV array) was 12¢/kwh.

The total guaranteed output is quite conservative compared to what it's actually producing. I also paid off the loan in substantially less time than the HELOC prescribed, so I paid less in interest than I could have, bringing the total down about half a desk.

The bottom line is that I paid up front in 2016 for 25 years of electricity, and haven't paid anything but the connection fee since.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Amazon product ASIN B006SJKAXE
I mean that's the first one that popped up but it's a pretty common solve. Thing is if you can use a screwgun and eyeball it youll get paid a lot more. One time I saw a buncha dudes do a composite deck in 20 minutes with no misses. I'd go into detail about the process but I doubt anyone cares.
If I built decks for a living, I'd be able to eyeball everything and get it perfect every time. But I don't build decks for a living, so my dumb DIwhy-er ass is better off using dumb tools like this.

And yes, I could have bought a tool instead of designing one. But I can whack out something in Fusion 360, print it and have something in my hands long before the Amazon truck shows up.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
If I built decks for a living, I'd be able to eyeball everything and get it perfect every time. But I don't build decks for a living, so my dumb DIwhy-er ass is better off using dumb tools like this.

And yes, I could have bought a tool instead of designing one. But I can whack out something in Fusion 360, print it and have something in my hands long before the Amazon truck shows up.
I gotcha, yours looks more efficient. I dont build decks either I just pick up stuff as needed. It's sorta that farmer mentality, might need it later and then someone asks if I have a solution for something and I've got just the tool? It's a bit of an addictive feeling. I've toned it down what with renting and the like.

I guess we do get spoiled by amazon in metro baltimore, we have same day delivery on like most shit so it's basically like you can go to work in the morning, need a part, prime it and itll be there after lunch.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
I gotcha, yours looks more efficient. I dont build decks either I just pick up stuff as needed. It's sorta that farmer mentality, might need it later and then someone asks if I have a solution for something and I've got just the tool? It's a bit of an addictive feeling. I've toned it down what with renting and the like.

I guess we do get spoiled by amazon in metro baltimore, we have same day delivery on like most shit so it's basically like you can go to work in the morning, need a part, prime it and itll be there after lunch.
A 3D printer is still better in this case. :p