Hi. Your pix go here now.

22062767Resized20220627161508.jpg

what am i looking at
Climaciella brunnea - a wasp mantidfly, which is neither a wasp, nor a mantid, not a fly, but a member of the order Neuroptera (which also includes lacewings, antlions, and owlflies)

• Love
Reactions: fly
Climaciella brunnea - a wasp mantidfly, which is neither a wasp, nor a mantid, not a fly, but a member of the order Neuroptera (which also includes lacewings, antlions, and owlflies)
I’m assuming it gets its name from looking like a praying mantis and wasp has babies?

I’m assuming it gets its name from looking like a praying mantis and wasp has babies?
you got it!
there's a lot of names out there that are like, yep ok I can see exactly why that's the name, and some are just weird.

they have fun with the scientific names, too, like Aha ha, Phthiria relativitae, Carmenelectra shechisme, Trigonopterus chewbacca, Wockia chewbacca, Pison eu, and Enema pan

Those are some severe murder mittens.