Hey all you network folks.

So these things are still giving me a lil hell, I brought them home and I'm gonna get them running or ... DESTROY THEM!!!

So are you a network guy or just THE it guy?

I'm the Network admin, I've just never messed w/ these before and I can't seem to get the radio to turn up so I can at least use web gui. I don't mind being in CLI, but this part sucks. Hell if I can tackle this small part I've got the rest. This is just a contract job still I start my network job at AT&T. Then I'll be mainly working on Frame Relay,MPLS,etc etc.

BTW FUCKING SHIT ORPHAN IS A FUCKED UP MOVIE:eek:

dumbest thing i've ever done networking wise was buy a cisco wireless router for our office. we kept killing them so i figured we'd better go with business grade equipment.

it still sits, unconfigured, having never worked, in a drawer by my desk. a reminder that i'm not a "real" IT person.

dumbest thing i've ever done networking wise was buy a cisco wireless router for our office. we kept killing them so i figured we'd better go with business grade equipment.

it still sits, unconfigured, having never worked, in a drawer by my desk. a reminder that i'm not a "real" IT person.

tomato > *

What were you killing before?

The new Cisco Small Business stuff is actually pretty easy to configure.

Also, stop buying WAPs for the offices, get some dirt on your knees and run some CAT6 through that office.
Got nothing but laptops? pony up for some docking stations.

Last edited:
What were you killing before?

The new Cisco Small Business stuff is actually pretty easy to configure.

Also, stop buying WAPs for the offices, get some dirt on your knees and run some CAT6 through that office.
Got nothing but laptops? pony up for some docking stations.

You still generally need wireless for guests and contractors...

we have 3 or so access points spread across every floor of every building in the company. that's gotta be maybe 1000 or 2 of them. cisco makes a lot of money from us. that's not even touching on the zillion switches and routers

one WAP in the conference room then, depending on your config, set it up seperate from the corporate LAN, and tightly restrict it. make sure you set up a WPA passcode and only give it out to guests, maybe change it every so often.

thanks. you wanna tell me how to do that in cisco speak? that's what i was trying to do.

this thing is a couple years old now, it isn't at all easy to configure. 851W

Last edited:
The guest Wifi in Cisco's own offices is fairly unrestricted interestingly enough.

That doesn't surprise me. I'll bet they have geek brain power behind it to build an isolated VLAN with it's own direct port to the internet and a modicum of access to internal network resources while being locked down to the rest of their enterprise network. I'd kill to get a look at their router configs to see what kind of magic they work with them.

That doesn't surprise me. I'll bet they have geek brain power behind it to build an isolated VLAN with it's own direct port to the internet and a modicum of access to internal network resources while being locked down to the rest of their enterprise network. I'd kill to get a look at their router configs to see what kind of magic they work with them.

that's what we do here. you have to vpn in from our wifi