Help with putting in a mailbox

Why not set the post in a 10 gallon pain bucket, fill it full of cement while inside so it can set, but the thing outside, then bury it when the ground thaws.

get the mailbox on a post and cement it into a bucket with cement. then, in the spring when the ground has thawed, just cement the entire thing into the ground
edit: okay i don't feel so bad since we posted that solution at the EXACT SAME TIME

guess great minds think alike, huh? :p

Last edited:
Where I come from, a popular solution is to weld a case around the post and mailbox so the miscreants don't knock them over- mainly because they've been cemented to a bucket. It's kinda like bowling when people do that around here......

BigDov said:
Where I come from, a popular solution is to weld a case around the post and mailbox so the miscreants don't knock them over- mainly because they've been cemented to a bucket. It's kinda like bowling when people do that around here......
A guy I knew in CT had a problem with people nailing his mailbox, so he took a giant plastic mailbox, cut a hole in the bottom, welded a steel pipe to a smaller metal mailbox put inside, filled around the small mailbox with cement, cemented the steel pipe into the ground, then encased the steel pipe with some plastic.

A few weeks later he found a broken bat lying next to it :fly:

ChikkenNoodul said:
A guy I knew in CT had a problem with people nailing his mailbox, so he took a giant plastic mailbox, cut a hole in the bottom, welded a steel pipe to a smaller metal mailbox put inside, filled around the small mailbox with cement, cemented the steel pipe into the ground, then encased the steel pipe with some plastic.

:lol:

Yeah it's like some kind of sport with the kids around here- Halloween you see pumpkin pieces and broken mailboxes all over the place, pieces of bats, stupid shit like that.

On a more serious note though, a guy I went to school with was killed in a totally IDIOTIC way, the year after we got out of school. Him and 3 other guys were, you guessed it, pushing pumpkins out of the back of a truck and smashing mailboxes with 'em. Gary (the guy that died) was sitting in the passenger seat of the truck, leaned out to talk to Richard in the bed of the truck, and the back of his head impacted with a mailbox set up JUST like you described. One of my friends' dads was a paramedic on the scene, and he told us later that the only thing holding what was left of his head on was his windpipe and a fragment of his spine. One of the stupidest fucking ways to die I've ever heard of.

ChikkenNoodul said:

I would have love to see the guys reaction and the pain in his hands when attempting to hit it.

BigDov said:
:lol:

Yeah it's like some kind of sport with the kids around here- Halloween you see pumpkin pieces and broken mailboxes all over the place, pieces of bats, stupid shit like that.

On a more serious note though, a guy I went to school with was killed in a totally IDIOTIC way, the year after we got out of school. Him and 3 other guys were, you guessed it, pushing pumpkins out of the back of a truck and smashing mailboxes with 'em. Gary (the guy that died) was sitting in the passenger seat of the truck, leaned out to talk to Richard in the bed of the truck, and the back of his head impacted with a mailbox set up JUST like you described. One of my friends' dads was a paramedic on the scene, and he told us later that the only thing holding what was left of his head on was his windpipe and a fragment of his spine. One of the stupidest fucking ways to die I've ever heard of.
Daaaaaammmnnnnnn......

Guess he never listened when they said "Don't stick body parts out the window"

ChikkenNoodul said:
Daaaaaammmnnnnnn......

Guess he never listened when they said "Don't stick body parts out the window"

He never was accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed, but still....... common sense would tell me not to stick half my body out of a moving vehicle.

theacoustician said:
Why not set the post in a 10 gallon pain bucket, fill it full of cement while inside so it can set, but the thing outside, then bury it when the ground thaws.

Its too front heavy, it tipped in the pail I had it in filled with sand. Not to mention that the ground its on is iced over so it slips and slides.

ChikkenNoodul said:
How's your spore farm?

Good hopefully. They sealed up the walls again this week and we'll hopefully be sheetrocking over the next few days. I guess all I can do is hope and pray that the problem has been resolved.

How's your compound coming along?

smileynev said:
Good hopefully. They sealed up the walls again this week and we'll hopefully be sheetrocking over the next few days. I guess all I can do is hope and pray that the problem has been resolved.

How's your compound coming along?
Well that's good, you take time off work or something?

Well, the heater is supposedly in, but the water pump died last week and the new one was on backorder, so the house was still inhospitable last weekend.

It's a complete disaster area, currently we have a three story foyer though :fly: since the floor is gone in places

The new kitchen cieling looks AWESOME so far though, so at least there's hope