Help with putting in a mailbox

S

smileynev

I haven't been able to get our mailbox into the ground since we moved in. So, we've been without mail for the past month or so. And while I don't mind not receiving bills, I think the gas company disagrees.

I tried driving a green metal fence post into the ground, but it just chipped away at the dirt. I also tried a bucket full of sand but the wifes fancy mailbox wouldn't stay balanced in it. Any suggestions. All you warm weather fuckers can stay out of this.

Drool-Boy said:
Run a garden hose from inside the house with hot water to where you want to dig?
I dunno much about frozen tundra

I thought about using warm buckets of water. I just don't know if it would penetrate deep enough.

You dumbshit. You're supposed to dig a hole, set the post, and fill it full of cement. Should be at least 2 feet deep and a few inches clear around it. The level of the cement should be a few inches below the surface of the ground. Cover with dirt and you're done.

Edit: if the problem is the hole, rent a dirt auger from home depot.

Last edited:
theacoustician said:
You dumbshit. You're supposed to dig a hole, set the post, and fill it full of cement. Should be at least 2 feet deep and a few inches clear around it. The level of the cement should be a few inches below the surface of the ground. Cover with dirt and you're done.

:lol:

You southerners and your unfrozen soil.

theacoustician said:

that works real well when it is below freezing...

theacoustician said:
When you live anywhere there is permafrost, you're a fucking idiot.

You laugh now, but wait until the ocean currents stop moving.

thrawn said:
how large is the post? 4x4?

Yeah. She insisted we get one of those molde plastic mailboxes that fits around a 4x4 post and attaches via two screws.

smileynev said:
Yeah. She insisted we get one of those molde plastic mailboxes that fits around a 4x4 post and attaches via two screws.

dig the hole with a post hole digger and just fill it with dirt till spring when you can pour the cement

fatbox.JPG

thrawn said:
dig the hole with a post hole digger and just fill it with dirt till spring when you can pour the cement

It would be hard to dig with a shovel or a post hole digger. A pick axe would be easier.

smileynev said:
It would be hard to dig with a shovel or a post hole digger. A pick axe would be easier.

The auger Warmy up there mentioned would do it, so would a post hole digger if you wanted to take the time. I doubt you want to rent an auger just for a mailbox. Do what sober Drool said.

Drool-Boy said:

i am so strung out right now, i considered making a model of this. but then i remembered i have to drive two hours tomorrow morning to go visit westinghouse IN PITTSBURGH and then drive two hours home and decided i hate people so i scribbled with a crayon.