Help me choose a pistol (another gun thread + massive pic thread)

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
Ok, here's what I've had my eye on, any info you may on the guns listed, or others not listed that are comparable, would be appreciated.

The Para Warthog (a compact pistol in .45 with a 10+1 capacity. Supposedly Para makes one fine weapon, but I've never shot one.)
para.jpg

The Smith & Wesson Model 99 (in 9mm or .40, capacity varies on round size. The pic is of the compact style, I personally like the full-size better, but this was pic was easy to find).
sw99.jpg

Glock 23 (in .40, slightly smaller than a full size Glock for my delicate-girly hands and easier CCW.)
glock23.jpg

Sig Sauer 226/228/229 (any of the three in 9mm, .40, or .45. I've shot all three in all calibers and love Sig ergos, but they're a little more expensive.)
P228.jpg

Beretta 9000 (I LOVE Beretta compacts but they're pricey and hard to come by. I've heard good things about the Cougar series as well.)
beretta9000.jpg

I keep threatening to take the wife & myself down to the range and get our CC permits.
When/if I do, Ill probably just pick us up a nice S&W revolver with a 4" or so barrel. Probably in a .375, but Id like a .45.

ChikkenNoodul said:
You looking for a carry piece? Take a look at the Steyr M/S 9/40 as well

And the Walther P99 instead of the S&W, the triggers on those are sweeeeeeet for a semiauto.

It would be a permitted carry-on-occasion weapon, yes. Are there really major benefits of the P99 over the SW? All I saw was the $100 price difference because it's made in the UK. :rolleyes:

How much do Steyr pistols go for?

edit: I just had the idea to make a poster of some fat woman holding a knife that says ".45, for full-figured assailants". Why that came into my head I don't know, but I should go copyright the idea.

Last edited:
KNYTE said:
It would be a permitted carry-on-occasion weapon, yes. Are there really major benefits of the P99 over the SW? All I saw was the $100 price difference because it's made in the UK. :rolleyes:

How much do Steyr pistols go for?

edit: I just had the idea to make a poster of some fat woman holding a knife that says ".45, for full-figured assailants". Why that came into my head I don't know, but I should go copyright the idea.
The Steyr's are around $300 or so, sometimes less in the Shotgun News.

The Walther's come in olive drab or grey as well :drool: There used to be some pretty big quality differences, I don't know if that still holds true.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I'd suggest that, but they're more than Sig's in most shops :p

I want one :drool:

Actually, I want a P2000 for carry and a USP Tactical for my backyard

I've got a P2000, and it's great for carrying. The HK Compact .40 is what my buddy carries. Also great. Definitely recommend both due to their reputation, and the fact that HK recently sold 65,000 P2000s to law enforcement agencies here in the US, so you know they've been field tested beyond measure.

I'd go with the Sig or the Glock. Sigs hare awesome DA/SA action with quality and heft :drool:

Glocks... Well it's a glock, they're cheap and never break. I dont like the action though personally. Just feels funky.

SWs have never been worth it for the price. I've never shot a beretta though.

Get something cool! ...like a big ass desert eagle, yeah!

Saw some 'Security Guard' in Subway the other day. Had a black security shirt and a 9mm tucked in a holster tucked into the back of his pants. No loop over the handle or anything...I could have walked right up to him, pulled the thing out of his pants, shot him with it and robbed the fucking store. Felt real secure there.

Millions said:
Get something cool! ...like a big ass desert eagle, yeah!

Saw some 'Security Guard' in Subway the other day. Had a black security shirt and a 9mm tucked in a holster tucked into the back of his pants. No loop over the handle or anything...I could have walked right up to him, pulled the thing out of his pants, shot him with it and robbed the fucking store. Felt real secure there.

I have a standing life policy: If I'm in a place that is guarded by rent-a-cops I am even more responsible for my own safety than usual.

Anyone have any experience with the Glock 20? It's a 10mm full-size.

KNYTE said:
I have a standing life policy: If I'm in a place that is guarded by rent-a-cops I am even more responsible for my own safety than usual.

Anyone have any experience with the Glock 20? It's a 10mm full-size.
Yes, they are huge and the ammo is expensive. OTOH You have the most powerful (for practical use) handgun around.

FlamingGlory said:
Yes, they are huge and the ammo is expensive. OTOH You have the most powerful (for practical use) handgun around.

I spoke to a dealer today about them and he gave me both the good and bad of 10mm.

His words: "The good of course being that it's incredibly fast and powerful for a pistol round. The bad being that it's incredibly fast and powerful for a pistol round."

Apparently Glock is the only one to build a handgun that people are able to hit anything with. I'd like to find one at my local gun rental place and see what they're like, but I doubt anyone readily carries one.

KNYTE said:
I spoke to a dealer today about them and he gave me both the good and bad of 10mm.

His words: "The good of course being that it's incredibly fast and powerful for a pistol round. The bad being that it's incredibly fast and powerful for a pistol round."

Apparently Glock is the only one to build a handgun that people are able to hit anything with. I'd like to find one at my local gun rental place and see what they're like, but I doubt anyone readily carries one.
Prolly not. The state troopers here carry them or I wouldnt even know much about them.

FlamingGlory said:
Prolly not. The state troopers here carry them or I wouldnt even know much about them.

Yeah, I'd heard that a lot of law enforcement agencies are carrying tenies, I figure anything that's good enough for them will work for me. I'm just worried about ammo expense.