Help me choose a pistol (another gun thread + massive pic thread)

Just get you one like this:

Colt49RepeatingPistols.jpg

KNYTE said:
Ok, here's what I've had my eye on, any info you may on the guns listed, or others not listed that are comparable, would be appreciated.

The Para Warthog (a compact pistol in .45 with a 10+1 capacity. Supposedly Para makes one fine weapon, but I've never shot one.)
[MG]http://uselessforums.com/files/030105/para.jpg[/IMG]

The Smith & Wesson Model 99 (in 9mm or .40, capacity varies on round size. The pic is of the compact style, I personally like the full-size better, but this was pic was easy to find).
[MG]http://uselessforums.com/files/030105/sw99.jpg[/IMG]

Glock 23 (in .40, slightly smaller than a full size Glock for my delicate-girly hands and easier CCW.)
[MG]http://uselessforums.com/files/030105/glock23.jpg[/IMG]

Sig Sauer 226/228/229 (any of the three in 9mm, .40, or .45. I've shot all three in all calibers and love Sig ergos, but they're a little more expensive.)
[MG]http://uselessforums.com/files/030105/P228.jpg[/IMG]

Beretta 9000 (I LOVE Beretta compacts but they're pricey and hard to come by. I've heard good things about the Cougar series as well.)
[MG]http://uselessforums.com/files/030105/beretta9000.jpg[/IMG]

Out of the models you have listed here, I've owned the Glock 23 (loved it btw), shot a friends Sig 228 and my father in law has one of those Beretta's (stupid cop discount crap :mad: ) that I've shot a few times- the Sig has a funny trigger pull to me and the Beretta is just plain sweet. I've heard pretty good things about those Para's too, but have never had the chance to get my hands on one. I don't see where you could really go wrong with any of those.

BigDov said:
Out of the models you have listed here, I've owned the Glock 23 (loved it btw), shot a friends Sig 228 and my father in law has one of those Beretta's (stupid cop discount crap :mad: ) that I've shot a few times- the Sig has a funny trigger pull to me and the Beretta is just plain sweet. I've heard pretty good things about those Para's too, but have never had the chance to get my hands on one. I don't see where you could really go wrong with any of those.

I'm having trouble deciding as well, and most of the reviews I've been reading have been positive for every gun on the list. Last night I was swaying towards a Walther P99/990, but over the course of the afternoon I was firmly in the Glock camp. I guess I'll have to go a rent a few of them when I get back home and see how they shoot for me.

My .02

Arnt all the S&W's double action only?? If this is going to be a CC gun you don't want to have to worry about lot's of trigger pull.

I have shot 2 S&W's (auto's) both in 40 cal and the accuracy sucked!

I almost bought the Beretta 9000s in 9mm but the handle was so fat (because of the staggered rounds in the mag) that my wife could barely get her hands around it.

You should have a look at the "springfield armory XD series." Very nice weapons for the price.

www.springfieldarmory.com

If you want cheap but reliable take a look at the "bersa" handguns. I have the "thunder 380" in 380 auto that I like a lot. Its a PPK knockoff that IMOP shoots better than the PPK. It is a DA/SA with the trigger pull for double action being around 15 lbs where the walther PPK is over 18. It was $209 brand new. I have put 8-10 boxes of rounds (UMC 90gr FMJ) without one jam or misfire. This will be my CC weapon.

http://www.bersa-llama.com/bersa_about.html

Good luck!

I thought about putting the XD40 on list, as it's one of the ones I've been considering, but didn't want to make the post too long. ;)

b_sinning said:
Beretta. Good for shooting wives.

They should use that as their next sale point.

KNYTE said:
I'm having trouble deciding as well, and most of the reviews I've been reading have been positive for every gun on the list. Last night I was swaying towards a Walther P99/990, but over the course of the afternoon I was firmly in the Glock camp. I guess I'll have to go a rent a few of them when I get back home and see how they shoot for me.

It's nice that you've got a place you can do that- here in Portland there used to be a chain of ranges that would rent guns by the half hour, and they had an awesome selection. I'd say it's worth whatever you spend in rental fees to find the one you really like.

Somewhat on this topic: I'm really starting to dislike that other place, it's getting to the point that I can't even visit the non-idiot forums without them being overrun by morons.

synopsis: Guy rigs his front coat closet with fake/unloaded weapons with the hope that someone will break in and try to steal them and he is then authorized to use deadly force. He spends the next 6 pages arguing that this is all in the good name of self/home defense, which I (on the last page) argue that it borders on sadism and a Hollywood feeling of "there is a muderer around every corner, I must be prepared".

Last edited:
KNYTE said:
Somewhat on this topic: I'm really starting to dislike that other place, it's getting to the point that I can't even visit the non-idiot forums without them being overrun by morons.

synopsis: Guy rigs his front coat closet with fake/unloaded weapons with the hope that someone will break in and try to steal them and he is then authorized to use deadly force. He spends the next 6 pages arguing that this is all in the good name of self/home defense, which I (on the last page) argue that it borders on sadism and a Hollywood feeling of "there is a muderer around every corner, I must be prepared".

I don't visit "that" place anymore for many reasons, yours included :)

Anyone ever shot a Walther P99, by the way? I like the ergos and the front-mount rail, but have never shot one myself.

Drool-Boy said:
Just get you one like this:

http://www.texasranger.org/dispatch/15/graphics/Colt49RepeatingPistols.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

I think some day I may buy a Colt Single Action Army, but that's entirely because of Metal Gear Solid.

Last edited:
KNYTE said:

Stupidity is unfortunately not against the law.

KNYTE said:
which I (on the last page) argue that it borders on sadism and a Hollywood feeling of "there is a muderer around every corner, I must be prepared".
At least Chikken isnt here to see this part of your post. :tinfoil: :happy:

fly said:
At least Chikken isnt here to see this part of your post. :tinfoil: :happy:
Well, there *is* a murderer around every corner and I must be prepared.

(If anyone's ever been to my part of Boston, it's about as safe as a city gets and last night a woman's body was dumped in an alley accross the st from my building)

But I do that by paying attention, and packing heat - not by 'baiting' criminals to break into my house. :p

The landmines and punji sticks in the front yard get 'em first.