Help, I WANT TO QUIT SMOKING

Shalimar

Like herpes - just appears
Feb 5, 2007
St Pete
www.minglemixx.com
Marklar
₥0
not ALL smoking , lmao, just cigarettes..

I got started smoking cigs about 18 months ago.. used to bum cloves (which are what i smoke) off a dj partner (who shall remain nameless) at strokers.. started out just bumming one or two a night..

a year later, and i'm picking up packs at the store.. smoking anywhere from 2 to 10 a day depending on that day's schedule (less during the week cause i'm working, more on wknds)..

I DON'T WANT TO SMOKE CIGARETTES.. fam got a history of lung problems already so it ain't smart..

but i've become attached.. I really think it's just a bad habit, and just that, a habit.. I find that I like to smoke at certain times.. like to sit down at the computer and fire one up.. don't like making the drive across the bridge without lightin one up.. obv like to have a few whilst drinking.. pretty common..

but i don't think it's TRUE NICOTINE ADDICTION.. don't even know how much nicotine in clove ciggys.. and i really don't even like marlboros or whatever, tho i will smoke one on occasion if i'm out in the spot and don't have a choice.. but i guess my point of sayin this is I'm not one for The Patch really.. would prefer to not have to medicate..

so i'm lookin for advice.. (this is funny from a man who writes an Advice Column)..

who has quit?
how?
any "little mind tricks" i can play on myself? ya know, gum, or a fuckin yo yo or somethin when i feel the desire.. although yoyo's are hard in the truck..
wean myself? or str8 cold turkey?

this may be lame or too personal to post, but thought yall might have some insight .. you folks seem to be a pretty good resource for most things..

thanks,
Mingle "I just fired one up and took 7 minutes off my life expectancy" Mixx

18 mos HA!

It's been 3 or 4 years, pimp.

I have quit a few times you just have to do it. I try not to carry them with me during the week or I'll smoke when I get bored. That seems to help. Just try to keep it to the weekends. It's only hard when I'm drinking. I'll walk to fucking Jacksonville for cloves if I'm drunk.

I was getting a ham ready for cooking yesterday afternoon and thought about Shawn while pluggin that thing full of cloves. I bummed one off of him at Stroker's, never had one before, and popped it in my mouth backwards. Waiting for him to light it, he mutters, 'might not work too well that way.'

Vodkas on the rocks does wonders for Mikey's smoking prowess.

You need something you can fiddle with in your hands. Chew gum and have something to fiddle with.

Also ask your doctor if you can have welbutrin. It's a mild anti-depressant commonly used to cut down on the urge to smoke.

You need something you can fiddle with in your hands. Chew gum and have something to fiddle with.

Also ask your doctor if you can have welbutrin. It's a mild anti-depressant commonly used to cut down on the urge to smoke.

I tried that crap years ago and immediately stopped...I don't think sane people are supposed to take anti depressants

I quit two years ago. Except I smoked two cigs at the Orlando party but I cannot be held accountable for behavior whilst drugging. Anyway, I decided to quit one day and I did. I smoked for 4 years at least a half pack a day. I tried to quit multiple times with help (smoking cessation products) and it didn't work. So one day I just had enough and quit. I have an extremely addictive personality and I am in no way saying thats its easy, because its not. I still crave cigs. I do not suggest going on an anti-depressant though. I have heard horror stories about that. I don't think that you should mess with mental medication unless you really need it.

I smoke cloves too o_O

Two things work, do something that involves concentration when you want one, like reading, or start smoking a pack a day (not reccomended) and youll be coughing blood in about a week and never want one again.

WHATEVER YOU DO

DO NOT PICK UP NORMAL CIGS. THEY ARE LIKE CANDY COMPARED TO CLOVES AND YOULL BE ON A PACK AND A HALF A DAY BEFORE YOU KNOW IT.

I am quitting on my birthday, I hate not being able to run 10 miles at the drop of a hat anymore.

I hate not being able to run 10 miles at the drop of a hat anymore.
afraid of falling hats?

If it's a habit the easiest thing is to transfer it to something else, like chewing gum or pens or your fingers or whatever.

don't chew nicotine gum! it has nicotine in it (duh), and it could easily be more than is present in clove cigarettes (if there's any nic in them at all). If you don't already have a nicotine habit it's a terrible idea to start now.

so, since all the nicotine replacement tactics are out the window it looks like cold turkey for you. again, gum, pens (your dentist will hate you for both) peanuts, weed, anything but smokes.

tell yourself how nasty it is everytime you smoke and everytime you want to smoke, pretty soon you'll be too disgusted to do it.

It's all a mental game

I remember the hubbub surrounding the possible halting of clove sales in 2004, but it hadn't dawned on me that this was teh reason:

In the United States, kreteks have been the subject of legal restrictions and political debate, including a proposed 2004 US Senate bill[7] that would have prohibited cigarettes from having a "characterizing flavor" of certain ingredients other than tobacco and menthol. The bill was motivated by concerns that flavored cigarettes, such as kreteks, were cutting into the market share of traditional cigarettes sold by large tobacco firms which had effective lobbyists

Thanks b