hellllooooo recession

JAXvillain

Curly_Sue
Oct 13, 2004
Marklar
₥0
wasn't it pretty much blatantly obvious we were in a recession a full year ago+? it seems like the country's economic advisers were paid to not say the word because of the "shock & awe" factor...I think the worst is yet to come and didn't buy property when it was considered cheap recently because I thought the end of the fall was nowhere in sight...what say you? full blown recession or temporary drop?

I think there are a lot of buzz words going around because it's an election year. I think we should wait to see what happens after January to really get any sort of true grasp of the situation.

Good call zengoat but a lot of business have been closing and a lot of layoffs. It sure looks like a recession to me and it's going to get worse before it gets better. The bailout is just going to benefit the same assholes that started most of this due to their greed.

Good call zengoat but a lot of business have been closing and a lot of layoffs. It sure looks like a recession to me and it's going to get worse before it gets better. The bailout is just going to benefit the same assholes that started most of this due to their greed.

yeah there is that, my mom was just laid off this week because of "cutbacks". Quite a few people were laid off from Ryan's company for the same reason. However, each of these companies had been hit really hard by the high gas prices as of late (the companies involve lots of semi travel across country) and just couldn't pay the bills with upwards over $50,000 a month in fuel expenditures. I dunno. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I'm going to say things aren't as bad as the media is playing it out to be and things, while not great, will even off after the election. I mean, it's just like when the tech bubble burst... it had to happen because things were over inflated, they had to go back to their norm or whatever. I think that's what this is.

My wife is a hairdresser and her business is way way down as it is with all of her co-workers and friends in her field. People are all trying to spend less or either have less. My father and brother in law are both truckers and are struggling.

With the tech bubble you didn't see as many as the everyday man hit as hard as now.

My wife is a hairdresser and her business is way way down as it is with all of her co-workers and friends in her field. People are all trying to spend less or either have less. My father and brother in law are both truckers and are struggling.

With the tech bubble you didn't see as many as the everyday man hit as hard as now.

Truckers, particularly owner/operators, are getting screwed over big time with the price of diesel being so high.

Hasn't gas gone down everywhere though? A few months ago, it was well over $4.50 a gallon for regular and now I'm finding 7-11's for $2.75

I know around here the gas thing was good in a way because fewer people drove, more people either carpooled or used public transportation and traffic has been outstanding, which one has never been able to say about chicago in quite some time.

edit: I'm a glass half full kind of person I guess

Hasn't gas gone down everywhere though? A few months ago, it was well over $4.50 a gallon for regular and now I'm finding 7-11's for $2.75

I know around here the gas thing was good in a way because fewer people drove, more people either carpooled or used public transportation and traffic has been outstanding, which one has never been able to say about chicago in quite some time.

edit: I'm a glass half full kind of person I guess

Diesel is still a bunch more than even Premium gas.

To say nothing of the fact that an oil change on a big rig is lot's of money.

Diesel is still a bunch more than even Premium gas.

To say nothing of the fact that an oil change on a big rig is lot's of money.

yeah I guess I was talking more about people's spending money rather than cost of goods.

To fill up the tank on a Semi have been averaging $1100+ the past few months. Plus those things require a lot of regular maintenance which is expensive.

Last edited:

Actually for the one it's just him and his wife.

He has a 2008 Aston Martin which seems to be a real gas guzzler... along with a mercedes .... forget what kind, and another mercedes.

The doc with the bmw 7 series only spends ~ $600 a month, but that's for his estranged wife and 2 kids. He also has a $1200 per month cellphone bill. He and his wife are going through a divorce, so she's padding the expenses as much as she can to establish her financial need for the settlement :tard:

Actually for the one it's just him and his wife.

He has a 2008 Aston Martin which seems to be a real gas guzzler... along with a mercedes .... forget what kind, and another mercedes.

The doc with the bmw 7 series only spends ~ $600 a month, but that's for his estranged wife and 2 kids. He also has a $1200 per month cellphone bill. He and his wife are going through a divorce, so she's padding the expenses as much as she can to establish her financial need for the settlement :tard:

Yea, can't feel bad about what they are paying in gas when they have those kinds of cars at all. If they are going to buy those types of vehicles they just need to expect high gas prices and deal with it or buy smarter vehicles.

In a way, you could see this coming back when the Tech Bubble started it's fluctuating. This credit thing has been a long time coming, and by no surprise. Trying to base economic gains and movement on money that people don't have but will need to pay back is a poor way to keep the money flowing through the system, and is destined to have an endpoint when the credit being pushed out can't be supported anymore by those it's being pushed to.

The writing on the wall for this was actually out there more than 3 years ago, right before the housing bubble burst. Just like techs, people had to realise that the housing buying spree couldn't be supported (just like the PC buying spree of the late 90's couldn't continue either), but no one paid attention to that fact, and instead kept hopping on, hoping they weren't too late to cash in like everyone else.

The difference between the tech bubble burst before and when the housing bubble burst is the fact that with Tech, it affected company infrastructures, some stocks, and jobs, but, really, wasn't anything that was at the core of most american's wealth.

Houseing, however, was. It was a direct hit on the foundation of 90% of middle america's saved funds, which is equity. The increase in home prices had, incorrectly, become the primary foundation of which most of america was basing their largest source of retirement income. When that burst, most of america took a big freakin kick to the nuts, and many people panicked in the thought that what they thought they had saved for their retirement was now gone.

Part of the issue is people don't pay attention ENOUGH to the news. Sure, they may listen to it, and say 'OMG, thats bad', but they don't file it away in their brains, and start using all of the daily input to look for the longterm trends, and this is how everything gets fucked up.

I could go off for pages on this, but I'll keep it short to say that really, I'm hoping this recession teaches a lesson to people that it's time to be much more aware of the world around you. Keeping a 'situational awareness' of the economy and events around, and then using your brains and your voice to influence how it affects you, is the only true way control how badly these events hit you.