Heliodisplay

SchmilK

Flaccid Member
Jun 22, 2005
Marklar
₥0
So the guy that runs the projector and teh hardware here at work showed me this today.
http://www.io2technology.com/

Basically a 2d hollographic VIDEO projected from a box...AND when plugged in via usb, becomes a touch...ummm...since it's not a screen....touch display??? So $18,000 for a 22" model $24,000 for a 42" model. We are trying to get one for demo purposes to see if we can have a presenter at one side of the world, and have him giving the speach to a ballroom while he is just a hologram on the stage! :eek: BUT, at the same time, Mike (the projectionist) wants to find a way to mimic this with the hardware we have...just need to find a way to project onto air. :tard: ouch my brain hurts...but read that...freakin super sweet stuff for sure!!!!

I wonder how many geeks from StarWars.com will pool their money just to reenact the Leia/R2-D2 scene.

Last edited:
That is cool, but I don't really see any real life applications for it except simply to impress the other guy. I guess that's what most of the technology we have today started out as though, so who knows, maybe it will become practical someday.

1. You need a laminar flow fog screen to make it work. http://www.fogscreen.com/ . You'll have to basically turn the AC off so as not to screw it up.

2. The touch aspect is IR laser painters. Good luck getting them to work if you have any measure of outdoor light shining in the room.

3. No matter how you tweak it, its never going to look like the person is there. It always looks 2D.

4. How do you feel now that Sony axed Aibo?

theacoustician said:
1. You need a laminar flow fog screen to make it work. http://www.fogscreen.com/ . You'll have to basically turn the AC off so as not to screw it up.

2. The touch aspect is IR laser painters. Good luck getting them to work if you have any measure of outdoor light shining in the room.

3. No matter how you tweak it, its never going to look like the person is there. It always looks 2D.

4. How do you feel now that Sony axed Aibo?

Sony sucks for that :( But the community will live on! ;) SUPPOSELDY there's goinig to be one more update to the Aibo software for the new one to fix some bugs people are reporting and HOPEFULLY throw some new dance/trick/speach data in as well!! Shit they're gonna support it until 2013, i'd hope there would be some new stuff to loook forward to running Aibo for the next 7 years.

The company I work for does ALOT of corporate meetings..and if we can get a speaker to speak with out being there, but MOSTLY look like he's there *WAMBAMHOLEYFAAAAK* the people will say!

Yeah it's mostly a wow factor..but that's what we're about...Think about this..Why the fark would someone speaking to 100 people need to have a power point presentation displayed on a 60'x20' screen with him standing in front of it and telling us that we have to get rid of the company logos, inserted images, fancy text, and fancy background, because it distracts from the audience looking at the speaker...WTF...you got this massive huge SUPER SHARP image being projected from 6 projectors making a seamless image all the way across, but we can't make it look fancy because then the audience won't be looking at the speaker...Isn't visual support SUPPOSED to keep the audience's attention!?!? Why not just put him on stage in front of a curtain.

Corporate world is so retarded...I'm so glad i'm don't work IN corporate...instead I now work FOR corporate. hee hee

theacoustician said:
I saw that and you were the first thing that came to mind. I thought "Oh shit, I know someone that's gonna be PISSED".

Not REALY pissed..just a bit upset, but glad that I got to get one...and the "limited edition" champagne color which, from the sounds of it, is REALY hard to find now! Sony Corp sent a letter to all Sony Style stores to box up remaining Aibo stock, regardless if they got a shipment YESTERDAY containing an Aibo that someone Pre-Ordered weeks/months ago!! 2 people reported NOT being able to buy their Aibo the day after Sony Style called and said that their pup was received. When they got to the store, they showed them the letter and had to deny their sale. now WTF kind of business sense is that? I think the new CEO saw AI too many times and saw the Aibo and Qrio and how bad ass they were and was scared that SONY was going to be the one that actually released the robot that turned around and took over the world!! That's MY theory, and i'm spreading it like wildfire!! Fuck that new pussy...he just wants a bigger paycheck.

Last edited:
elpmis said:
between the cost of that and a solid flow fog machine, it's like a billion trillion dollars

Yeah but we can rent that for like a quarter a billion trillion dollars per day and before you know it, it's paid for!!

We build these super fast "graphics" computers for running power point at 3450x1050 resolution, and after 4 days of rental, the computers are paid for, and then it turns into profit. pretty crazy if you ask me.

SchmilK said:
Yeah but we can rent that for like a quarter a billion trillion dollars per day and before you know it, it's paid for!!

We build these super fast "graphics" computers for running power point at 3450x1050 resolution, and after 4 days of rental, the computers are paid for, and then it turns into profit. pretty crazy if you ask me.
Powerpoint at 3450x1050. That's about the dumbest thing I've heard today. Have your clients never taken a class on how to give a presentation? What is it, something like no more than 6 bullet points per slide and no more than 8 words a bullet point?

theacoustician said:
Powerpoint at 3450x1050. That's about the dumbest thing I've heard today. Have your clients never taken a class on how to give a presentation? What is it, something like no more than 6 bullet points per slide and no more than 8 words a bullet point?
most of the presentations we do these days are on Flash - to be honest I think it's been about a year since I've seen PowerPoint used for a presentation

elpmis said:
most of the presentations we do these days are on Flash - to be honest I think it's been about a year since I've seen PowerPoint used for a presentation

No shit? We use Powerpoint daily, and in every trial.

1st...In Chicago, Power Point operators get $75/hour

Unfortunately that's not me :( i'm salary :(

But..WE create the presentation at that resolution because the screen it's being projected on is usually 60 foot wide and 20 foot tall. TRUE Widescreen 3:1..not that lame ass 16:9 bullshit that people CALL 'widescreen'. So try taking a standard 11x8.5" ppt file and blowing it up to 60 feet wide. It's REAL freakin ugly!!!

So with that there are 6 projectors behind the screen. 2 on top of each other lined up in a row of 3..Then with this Encore system, the output is split to the projectors, manually calibrated and then no one knows there are 6 projectors making 1 picture. The problem we have now is that the picture is SO fucking good, that the images/videos that wee get from people look like shit! The last show i was on people were taking 320x240 videos off the intenret and asking to play them full screen.. NOO WAY!!! Wihtout blowing it up, that gave us about a 3'x2' window on teh screen...and looked like hell! So those guys called around to see fi they can get a dvd with the videos on it...thos asses had the original 320x240 videos UPSAMPLED to 720x480 and authored to a dvd so they looked EVEN WORSE!!! So we were up the day before the show went on until 3am arguing with the CEO who was saying "the video looks great on teh computer, why wont it play correct on the projector, are you projectors not good enough to play it? OMG did THAT ever piss my boss of. So they contacted the ad agencies that created these original videos, had them overnighted by courier on beta tapes, and then played that back for the CEO and boy i tell ya...if he had ANY blood left anywhere in his body EXCEPT HIS FACE, i would be amazed!! He appologized for not understanding what the problem was and will require all presenters in teh future to have original footage for any videos that are played back.

Here's the first pictures i could find to show you what we do. Our guys make all the screens, the frames, and the drapery. We own and rent all the lights, speakers, projectors, mics, etc...We have had 360 tubes that have text messages scrolling all the way around, or just random psychadelics, or videos or pictures, all seamless video!!

LW 1.jpg

LW 2.jpg

LW 3.jpg

LW 4.jpg

LW 5.jpg

LW 6.jpg

LW 7.jpg

Got $60grand laying around and need a projector? Here's teh Barco R12, we have 10 of these, and thats' the CHEAP one by the way! We have 8 of the GOOD ones which retail for a little over $100,000. oh and that does NOT include a lens...the lens is another $5-10,000. It's crazy seeing the equipment that goes through here!!

Barco r.jpg

I think we have had a misunderstanding. I realize its about the resolution. Most people don't have 3000x1050 screens and it doesn't matter if you have the best wall scaler from Jupiter Systems or Barco, a 800x600 picture is still all that's there. You can only get so much info on a slide of any resolution and have it still be meaningful. That's all.

As for the equipment one-up-manship, I think you forget where I work and what I do.