Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

Went to the ENT surgeon's office yesterday for a follow-up exam. Mentioned to her that I don't have much of a sense of smell and the only thing I smell is like dirty feet. All of the time. Lots of flem, still nosebleeds, and mucus. She said I don't have an infection and most of the swelling is gone. Anyway, she shoved a suction tool into my sinus (this was after supposedly numbing my sinus with vapor tool) and painfully ripped out crusts and other junk. Super fun that was. I am over this. Done. No more.

can you still smell the dirty feet tho

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Mom is going to visit my Aunt this weekend, staying for about a week. Aunt is going in for a biopsy in the next few days, they aren't sure but they think that her lung cancer is back. Gonna need to visit her soon.

Its funny, in a horrible way, but except for one person everyone on my mother's side of the family has died of cancer. My first memory is literally of my grandmother's, her mother's wake. Standing outside her house looking at a canal or stream or river that ran by (the house is up in Lutz, strangely enough, about 10 minutes away from where M and I lived for the first ~6 months we were in Tampa.)
I don't think anything of people dying by cancer anymore. Still hurts, still sucks, but its almost normal by now. Good friend from high school doesn't talk to me anymore because "I didn't support her on her battle" She blocked me on FB before I could tell her that she was about the 7th or 8th person I cared about to have cancer.

• Sad
Reactions: Mean Mr. Mustard
Mom is going to visit my Aunt this weekend, staying for about a week. Aunt is going in for a biopsy in the next few days, they aren't sure but they think that her lung cancer is back. Gonna need to visit her soon.

Its funny, in a horrible way, but except for one person everyone on my mother's side of the family has died of cancer. My first memory is literally of my grandmother's, her mother's wake. Standing outside her house looking at a canal or stream or river that ran by (the house is up in Lutz, strangely enough, about 10 minutes away from where M and I lived for the first ~6 months we were in Tampa.)
I don't think anything of people dying by cancer anymore. Still hurts, still sucks, but its almost normal by now. Good friend from high school doesn't talk to me anymore because "I didn't support her on her battle" She blocked me on FB before I could tell her that she was about the 7th or 8th person I cared about to have cancer.
Welcome to PTSD there are snacks

That's my family too. No relative has ever died of anything that wasn't cancer to the best of my knowledge

That isnt what PTSD is. Its called bereavement dude.

Sorry to hear Asa, I cant even imagine.
Thanks, but this isn't bereavement. Not yet at least.
This lady has had cancer literally almost as long as I can remember. Third grade, she got half a lung removed. Four or five years later, third of the other lung removed. Esophageal cancer, stomach cancer, lung cancer again. She gets it, she beats it. She's a damned Energizer Bunny.

One day it'll get her, it might be soon, but she's fought it off so many times that it feels like its normal.

Thanks, but this isn't bereavement. Not yet at least.
This lady has had cancer literally almost as long as I can remember. Third grade, she got half a lung removed. Four or five years later, third of the other lung removed. Esophageal cancer, stomach cancer, lung cancer again. She gets it, she beats it. She's a damned Energizer Bunny.

One day it'll get her, it might be soon, but she's fought it off so many times that it feels like its normal.
Sorry the comment was directed to ZRH.

She sounds like one tough lady.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Sorry the comment was directed to ZRH.

She sounds like one tough lady.
When she had the first lung section removed she had staples holding her side together. Doc came in to check on her and she forced herself to sit up cause she was tired of laying down to talk to people. She said he looked horrified and said no one had ever done that that quickly.

You think it's genetics or the environmental?
Bit of both. Lots of genetic factors in cancer. My family has no history of it at all. I worked in a clinical genetics department for a while and some family it just runs so strong. Of course some lifestyle factors like diet etc can play into but won't be overcoming genetics. It seems fairly common now to test for genetic factors with a family history so you can take preventative action eg mastectomy or hysterectomy etc

• Gravy
Reactions: Mikeawesome
My great grandmother drank a 6 pack a day and chain-smoked till she died at 102. My mom never smoked never drank and died of lung cancer. My Dad's family everyone dies of a heart attack mostly.

So we went up to Abalama to visit. Aunt is doing ok-ish for all the health problems she has had. In my memory she is built about like Dory/Nemo (last time I saw her, about 5ish years back?), however now she is about 80-90 lbs, I can't say if she has lost height, but I think she has.

She got biopsy results while we were driving back yesterday. Not cancer, thankfully. However they still don't know why she has trouble breathing. They are going to try a procedure where they wash (and scrub?) her lungs out and then examine the wash fluid. Supposed to help her breathe better as well as give a diagnostic test. Sounds absolutely horrible to me.