Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

caffeine in particular is one that affects people differently based on a bunch of different factors.

if you normally drink x amount of caffeine, your body gets used to that amount, so much like with other drugs you can build up a tolerance to it. it doesn't mean you couldn't get the jitters, it just means it would take more to get you to that point.

some people's brains also function differently, and for those people, stimulants can have a more calming effect in the right doses. some stimulants increase dopamine production (nicotine, Adderall), some prevent/delay reuptake of dopamine (methylphenidate), some increase availability of dopamine receptors (caffeine), and each gives the dopamine a chance to work as intended (assuming it was not functioning appropriately before).

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
caffeine in particular is one that affects people differently based on a bunch of different factors.

if you normally drink x amount of caffeine, your body gets used to that amount, so much like with other drugs you can build up a tolerance to it. it doesn't mean you couldn't get the jitters, it just means it would take more to get you to that point.

some people's brains also function differently, and for those people, stimulants can have a more calming effect in the right doses. some stimulants increase dopamine production (nicotine, Adderall), some prevent/delay reuptake of dopamine (methylphenidate), some increase availability of dopamine receptors (caffeine), and each gives the dopamine a chance to work as intended (assuming it was not functioning appropriately before).
Normally I have a big cup (plus about 1/3rd, to finish off the remaining coffee in the urn) in the morning. Yesterday I had that, plus two black coffees at Cars and Coffee.

so, a bit over double my normal intake, but yeah, I'm not übermensch like @wetwillie or @HipHugHer. Personal failing, I guess.

Normally I have a big cup (plus about 1/3rd, to finish off the remaining coffee in the urn) in the morning. Yesterday I had that, plus two black coffees at Cars and Coffee.

so, a bit over double my normal intake, but yeah, I'm not übermensch like @wetwillie or @HipHugHer. Personal failing, I guess.
nah, I really should cut back. Waaaaaay back. Sometimes I go on a coffee-free kick for a few weeks, just green tea. And oddly, not nearly as much volume.

As @august said, it's partly I get a true calming effect and part just being addicted/tolerant. I'm fairly snob/picky about my beans. I like a mild roast - no Starfucks burnt beans for me. Bigby - mmmmmmmmm.

i cannot drink coffee unless it’s decaf and even then i barely drink it

it absolutely fucks me up, makes me shake and i feel super sketchy

Hi. This is immigrant’s son.
My father passed away early this morning. He wanted me to login and post this, and I’m not sure if it’s the right thread or whatever.
I know you probably want more details, but all I’ll say right now is that he passed in his sleep. He is at peace now. He was 60.
I don’t post at forums myself, but he wanted me to send this out.

thank you. - son of Immi

My father passed away early this morning. He wanted me to login and post this, and I’m not sure if it’s the right thread or whatever.
I know you probably want more details, but all I’ll say right now is that he passed in his sleep. He is at peace now. He was 60.

thank you. - son of Immi
Thanks for the update. And thank your dad, in whatever way you think is appropriate, for being a good dude.

thank you. - son of Immi
Thanks for the update
I reckon you wont read this, but know that a stranger on the internet is gonna miss him a lot.

thank you. - son of Immi
Fuck man. I'm sorry. Your dad was a cool dude and I know he's going to be missed.

thank you. - son of Immi
oh honey, I'm so sorry.

I know this has been coming for a while now, and I know he was ready for this, but I also know that knowledge doesn't make it hurt any less for the folks he left behind. I want you to know that he was so proud of you & he was so glad to have been your dad. please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

thank you. - son of Immi
I feel so grateful for being able to get to know your dad! He’s a great guy.

thank you. - son of Immi
So sorry Joe. I agree, he is at peace and that is what is important.

For those curious, he was Patrick W. Franks.

He was a good dude, gonna miss him and all his commentary. He lived it right up to the end,

I'll dedicate this to immi's good 'tude up to the end.

thank you. - son of Immi

oh Immi …

My absolute deepest condolences to you and Im so sorry for your profound loss.
We love your dad here and we had been “keeping him company” during his final months..
I know it’s prob hard to understand our connection here but we really enjoyed your dad’s wild + fun stories. He loved you very much!

He’s at peace now and not suffering anymore.
Sending you strength and light during this time.

RIP Pat

thank you. - son of Immi

Your dads a cool dude. Sorry for your loss.

thank you. - son of Immi
Man, im so sorry for your loss. He was a friend to all, and Im glad he's at peace. He talked about you a lot, and always said how proud he was of you, posted pictures of the work you did at the meat displays (man, that stuff looked great).

I know the internet may not be your thing, but you're welcome to stick around and chat with us if you need someone to talk to, or even if you just want some acquaintances or friends. Thats how your dad ended up here, and we sure are glad he did.

thank you. - son of Immi
So sorry for your loss. Your dad was a good man. We will miss him around here. May he rest in peace. Goodness knows he deserves peace.

Last edited:

thank you. - son of Immi
Thanks for posting this.
Your Dad was and is a very well-loved man around here. He thought the world of you as well. The word "proud" was used a lot whenever he spoke of you. I know you have a lot to deal with now, but for what it's worth, if you ever want to share some stories, get some morale support, or just vent or hangout and goof off or whatever, there's no need to be a stranger here, you're welcome any time.
Sorry to meet under these circumstances, son of Immi.

thank you. - son of Immi
am so sorry
RIP immi baba
big hug