Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

Had the meeting with a nurse today who came to re-insert the catheter, and I talked her into holding off. I’ve successfully used the toilet a couple times, and the urinal twice. Left blood on the rim of it both times. So I said it’s in my best interest to heal for a couple three days and then decide. If I have accidents or weirdness before then, I can always call and address that if it happens.

Strange thing, and it happened yesterday AND today as well; I was asked what I did for a living prior to being injured at work and was met with dismay when I replied “warehousing and truck driving”. And I made my social worker feel very small when I got in her face last week when she came back into my room solo after a meeting with two other persons when I informed her that I’ve taken 8 college-level psychology classes and 3 sociology classes, and was on the President’s list 10 times and Dean’s list once. I’m sure I got better grades than her. When I got hurt at work, I didn’t even have a HS diploma. I talked my workers comp carrier into paying for me to get a GED and a few college classes until I got a settlement, and could pay my way after that, which I did.

The County hottie yesterday thought I was a “professor” or something. They have all admitted I’m not the typical hospice person they’re used to dealing with.

Thank goodness I started throwing the meds in the garbage. They’d think I was just another drooling old geezer. Nope.

(pats self on back)

Also about health and how I’m swelling up in weird ways. I have several scars on my right leg and foot and one of them blew open yesterday, and it’s been at least ten years since I’ve had any open wounds on either leg.

A97EED0D-47EC-49A2-AD4D-4F06D91440D6.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: adi
Also about health and how I’m swelling up in weird ways. I have several scars on my right leg and foot and one of them blew open yesterday, and it’s been at least ten years since I’ve had any open wounds on either leg.

View attachment 14874

All those little dots are where rods went through when I had the “external fixators” installed (I had two, one for 9 months, the othe, six) and I broke some of them a few times. My doctor wanted me to be a guinea pig of sorts to try out different rod alloys and I agreed. I used to walk and vacuum and everything with it, and it freaked the fuck out of people.

When people would ask what happened, I had two answers. Adults got the truth, kids were told “Shark attack”. They thought it was awesome.

whoa! that’s intense
does it hurt ?

Not really, yet. I’ve requested a med change and I’m practically not taking anything for pain (I hover around a 3-4 all the time anyway because of the ankles) and lately, they’ve been pretty bad. The swelling just feels weird and tight.

This fuckin place.

I’m asked by county representatives and aging department folks if I’m being treated well, and I hear praise on them for the food etc, then I get into a shouting match with a staff member who barely speaks Engrish over med dosages. I shouldn’t have to monitor them. There was one instance a few days ago where it took 70 minutes for a response (I documented it, but it’s just words on an iPad), and tonight, after 20 minutes of silence, they show up with various meds, two of which were wrong amounts. One gal insisted they were correct. Well, guess what? I’ve written down every god damn pill or drug I’ve taken since 2003 except for when in a real hospital. I’ve got it all written down.

I’ll be talking to the admin tomorrow for sure. Another worker (the guy who can read “Rental”) was like “Time for bed now” and it’s fucking 8:15 pm. Fuck that.

I talked to the admin earlier and explained that I liked it here, but right now I’m rethinking that. This is a bad time for people in my position. Covid has these places full. God damn it.

Umm, shouldn't your feet be like elevated or something so they drain?

Thats exactly what I did. The swelling is down most of the way today. It was abnormally hot in my room that day also, and I think that was a factor, but edema due to a weakening ticker is also normal for people being shown the door too.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
Compression socks help

I’ve used those before but I have an issue with them. They actually increase the pain in my ankles by forcing them into unnatural positions. I’m better off without.

Today’s issue? I’m too good about worrying about stuff. I had a phone (then Zoom) assessment yesterday to see if I remain on “hospice” or switch to “palliative” status. I’ve had a few really fucking great days in a row but I’m sure it was made clear to the interviewer assessor person that I’m doing worse now than I was when placed on hospice in May or April, whenever that officially happened. But fuck. I’m concerned this morning about that. And today started off great too. I’m awake way before everyone else (I always have been my whole life) and I’ve made my own coffee 3-4 days in a row now. I’m sure the admin here would like to keep me as “hospice” because I’m relatively easy to care for at this point.

But. There’s always a but. Yesterday afternoon, I had an incident where I couldn’t fucking breathe for a half hour or more and my O2 meter was between 75-85% and wouldn’t rise.

I’ve been worried for months that I’m not sick enough to be “hospice”, but then shit like that happens and it’s clear that I do. It’s not my fucking fault that I’ve exceeded my expiration date. The surgeon last January/February said June. Here I am.

I’m really good at stewing about shit, and that’s the stew that’s cooking right now. Which is dumb, because I have much bigger shit to be concerned about.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I’m wearing looser socks now.

And the lady on the phone said I clearly am sicker than I was and as far as she knows, I’ll be remaining on hospice.