Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

You seem to be moving the goalposts here from where we started. Now we're on to reinfection (which is extremely rare).

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, you're totally welcome to do whatever you want with your body. That's because *I* have the vaccine. But keep in mind, all around you are people like @Immigrant who can't take the vaccine, yet still have to live in a dangerous world because people choose to be uninformed.

You're not @TuhMollie, so I demand you to be a bit more sensible.

I actually had an appointment set to get the first shot then I had to cancel because I was admitted to the hospital instead LOL and called them to cancel from there. Then I got the lowdown and never bothered to reschedule because, well, you may as well vaccinate a canned ham instead. :p

We need early adopters/guinea pigs as data points so the rest of us sane people can make informed decisions, Eddie. Stop trying to change their minds. ;)

I got my shot when I did in part because it was moderna. Not because of anything to do with mrna but because of its extremely high effectiveness rating and because I personally know people who also got it with no Ill effects.
If it had been Pfizer it'd be a toss up but I "probably" would've gotten it and if it had been J&J's one-shot with the lower efficacy I would've passed on it and continued waiting for the better one. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that line of thinking.

What I do not agree with is this "you should just get whatever vaccine is available to you" stuff. It comes across as just get whatever the hell they got and do not think past that. Doesn't seem like a very smart way to approach something important to me. It also gets repeated so often and in the exact same wording it smells like a talking point and that is a cheese grater to my ears.

You'll get shot soon enough, Maureen will as well, don't let these guys rope you into something you're uncomfortable with. There is zero reason to do so.

We need early adopters/guinea pigs as data points so the rest of us sane people can make informed decisions, Eddie. Stop trying to change their minds. ;)

I got my shot when I did in part because it was moderna. Not because of anything to do with mrna but because of its extremely high effectiveness rating and because I personally know people who also got it with no Ill effects.
If it had been Pfizer it'd be a toss up but I "probably" would've gotten it and if it had been J&J's one-shot with the lower efficacy I would've passed on it and continued waiting for the better one. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that line of thinking.

What I do not agree with is this "you should just get whatever vaccine is available to you" stuff. It comes across as just get whatever the hell they got and do not think past that. Doesn't seem like a very smart way to approach something important to me. It also gets repeated so often and in the exact same wording it smells like a talking point and that is a cheese grater to my ears.

You'll get shot soon enough, Maureen will as well, don't let these guys rope you into something you're uncomfortable with. There is zero reason to do so.
I think it gets repeated so much because the importance of getting it soon rather than later is a big deal. That and we dont have enough to go around to be picky and quick about it.

Not that it matters much to me. In just playing the advocate for conversational purposes.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I think it gets repeated so much because the importance of getting it soon rather than later is a big deal. That and we dont have enough to go around to be picky and quick about it.

Not that it matters much to me. In just playing the advocate for conversational purposes.

I understand why it gets said but that doesn't make it any smarter of a thing to say, to me.
It makes sense as far as getting a bunch of people in some backwater place a pretty decent level of protection in a single shot.
We have choices here and choosing that instead of waiting a few more days or weeks for something even better doesn't seem like a wise choice to me, especially when we've been dealing with it this long with no vaccine at all, what's a little longer? Basically nothing in the grand scheme of things imo.

If someone else sees it differently and figures the other way around is the better way for them of course that's fine too. No big deal.

• Gravy
Re-infection was back-filling, not moving posts. The original g-posts remain. I'm getting a vaccine, just a particular one. It's like picking a sous vide - I was reading reviews. Besides, someone has to be part of the comparison or control group. And depending on how things work out, hard to say which is which right now.
I'm gonna be part of the other group. There are millions of people world-wide getting vaccines from other companies, based on adeno.
I hope we all end up safer.

@Mofugger - be well man. Hope it passes quickly.
I only burned 1.5 sick days so far. Right now, the worst part is the fucking brain fog. Pain in the ass to be working from home and finding myself distracted by the shit I should have been doing in the first place (work).

I understand why it gets said but that doesn't make it any smarter of a thing to say, to me.
It makes sense as far as getting a bunch of people in some backwater place a pretty decent level of protection in a single shot.
We have choices here and choosing that instead of waiting a few more days or weeks for something even better doesn't seem like a wise choice to me, especially when we've been dealing with it this long with no vaccine at all, what's a little longer? Basically nothing in the grand scheme of things imo.

If someone else sees it differently and figures the other way around is the better way for them of course that's fine too. No big deal.
If you have choices then pick the one you want. I didn't have a choice and probably wouldn't get another chance for several months. If it's only a few days for you to wait, that's great. I don't think anybody is presenting that argument to your situation.

Many shit loads of people have died and many shit loads more will, even more so the longer it takes. That's why a little longer is a big deal.

The worst talking point is "I read something on the internet, about stuff I don't really understand, therefore I'm qualified to doubt experts".

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Jehannum
The worst talking point is "I read something on the internet, about stuff I don't really understand, therefore I'm qualified to doubt experts".
He's just making conversation. He already got he's vaccine and his points a valid either way. "Get the best vaccine you can, if you can" is not doubting experts.

Runs to worst case extreme, then says see! all the ways are better!
That doesn't seem like very much thinking to me, man.

• Haha
He's just making conversation. He already got he's vaccine and his points a valid either way. "Get the best vaccine you can, if you can" is not doubting experts.
Thanks OOD you should be a diplomat, or at least get paid like one.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
If you mean ME, there are experts that feel this way about mRNA tech. They put the idea out there, I didn't hatch the idea myself. There are often a few groups of experts who don't agree with each other. They all may have some accurate parts of the correct answer, just not all of it.
I'm not stalling at all - my health plan says I am down the list because I have no health issues and work from home. As does my spouse - who HAS been vaccinated(Moderna) and continues to have issues. My main "long covid" issues seem to be slight decrease in energy(battery goes flat, suddenly) and soreness after hard work comes on fast, while previous it was usually delayed a bit, ala "I'll feel this shit tomorrow." Keep feeling it today - now that sucks.

I've explained before that I spent about half the year sick the first 13 years of my life. I'm always circumspect about the meds. I'm being very careful not to get infected and vice versa.

This is the spot where I usually jump in say something like "When Eddie was 13, modern medicine ment the Dr didn't charge for a Cave-call".
@wetwillie
Wrong direction mud - I came from the future. This crustacean was my primary. See why I'm afraid? Maybe I should change my name to "Fry". "Fried"? In the future @Domon is a heavy drinker. j/k

futurama whatever GIF

If you mean ME, there are experts that feel this way about mRNA tech. They put the idea out there, I didn't hatch the idea myself. There are often a few groups of experts who don't agree with each other. They all may have some accurate parts of the correct answer, just not all of it.
I'm not stalling at all - my health plan says I am down the list because I have no health issues and work from home. As does my spouse - who HAS been vaccinated(Moderna) and continues to have issues. My main "long covid" issues seem to be slight decrease in energy(battery goes flat, suddenly) and soreness after hard work comes on fast, while previous it was usually delayed a bit, ala "I'll feel this shit tomorrow." Keep feeling it today - now that sucks.
Is the Earth flat?

There's an 'expert' for every fringe belief you want to have. That doesn't mean you have to elevate them. It also defies logic to suggest that you're going to wait for a non-mRNA vaccine when there really isn't one.

Is the Earth flat?

There's an 'expert' for every fringe belief you want to have. That doesn't mean you have to elevate them. It also defies logic to suggest that you're going to wait for a non-mRNA vaccine when there really isn't one.
See, now you understand how I feel about Joe Rogan!