Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

Stepped on the scale at the vets office thought there was something wrong with it they said no you need to go over to the bovine & equine side.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
Had an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat doctor today. She stuck a camera up my nose to look at the inside. I have nasal polyps from years of not taking care of my allergies. But I did find out that I have a deviated septum. So I'm looking at surgery next year to get that fixed. I wonder if I should go for the triple play and ask them to do a nose job as well. Damn these yuge Jewish nose genes.

Had an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat doctor today. She stuck a camera up my nose to look at the inside. I have nasal polyps from years of not taking care of my allergies. But I did find out that I have a deviated septum. So I'm looking at surgery next year to get that fixed. I wonder if I should go for the triple play and ask them to do a nose job as well. Damn these yuge Jewish nose genes.
I had a septoplasty & turbinate reduction done for a deviated septum that was obstructive, it wasn't a terrible experience. the worst part was when they pulled the packing out, but I do breathe better now so it was worth it.

I had a septoplasty & turbinate reduction done for a deviated septum that was obstructive, it wasn't a terrible experience. the worst part was when they pulled the packing out, but I do breathe better now so it was worth it.
Yeah the doctor was like this is all quality of life surgery but yeah seems worth it in the end.

Screenshot_20211122-125206_MyChart.jpg

so based on my MRI, I'm just unlucky enough to have idiopathic uveitis (bc they can't find a cause for it amongst the known causes) AND advanced osteoarthritis at 35. my follow-up appointment with the rheumatologist is in a couple of weeks but my guess is that it'll be our last visit.

idk if he or my PCP will refer me to ortho for it (& for the herniated lumbar discs seen incidentally on the CT) or if they're just going to say "huh, I guess you have boneitis. welp, ttyl." the rheumatologist was just focusing on the SI because it was visibly fucked up and it could have been up his alley had it been inflammatory (like Ankylosing Spondylitis), but I definitely have other joints that are fucky.

I'm half expecting them to write it off as caused by obesity, and while I understand it can play a role, I do not think I've been SO overweight nor for SO long to have caused this level of degeneration by itself, & some of the other fucky joints include my shoulders & thoracic/cervical spine & hands/fingers, which are not as heavily (get it) involved in carrying around my enormous, bloated frame.

View attachment 15265

so based on my MRI, I'm just unlucky enough to have idiopathic uveitis (bc they can't find a cause for it amongst the known causes) AND advanced osteoarthritis at 35. my follow-up appointment with the rheumatologist is in a couple of weeks but my guess is that it'll be our last visit.

idk if he or my PCP will refer me to ortho for it (& for the herniated lumbar discs seen incidentally on the CT) or if they're just going to say "huh, I guess you have boneitis. welp, ttyl." the rheumatologist was just focusing on the SI because it was visibly fucked up and it could have been up his alley had it been inflammatory (like Ankylosing Spondylitis), but I definitely have other joints that are fucky.

I'm half expecting them to write it off as caused by obesity, and while I understand it can play a role, I do not think I've been SO overweight nor for SO long to have caused this level of degeneration by itself, & some of the other fucky joints include my shoulders & thoracic/cervical spine & hands/fingers, which are not as heavily (get it) involved in carrying around my enormous, bloated frame.
Bottom line is that you're LITERALLY a pain in the ass?

I've seen some research that has said bone marrow edema and subchondral fat deposition/infiltration should be treated as evidence of sacroiliitis & when coupled with the erosions/sclerosis, it can represent the stage that happens between erosion & ankylosis, but it also sounds like the diagnostic criteria is still somewhat outdated, and also even if they did agree and say it's AS, the fancy meds for it don't seem to work as well for this presentation so either way I'm p much stuck with NSAIDs

Let's see...i know osteo means bones and lumbar is the lower back. You've never been anything I'd consider obese so I'm guessing carrying around what amounts to a backpack worn on the front 24/7 for over 20 years might have something to do with it.
How's your stomach? I means just functionally as far as the muscles, not indigestion or aesthetics or whatever. Good stomach muscles help support the back from the inside. Couple that with good posture and there's lots of things that can help your back that aren't in your back.

• Gravy
Can you say that in regular folk speak?
osteoarthritis is the "wear and tear" type, mostly related to mechanical degeneration. it's most common in older folks, as well as athletes and obese people, and it happens when the joints get messed up and the boney bits rub against each other. there are also other kinds of arthritis that are caused by inflammatory processes, like autoimmune disorders that attack the cells in the joints/cartilage, or cause swelling or irritation.

in my case, the pattern of wear itself looks more like what you'd expect from something inflammatory (because of its extent and because it's bilateral), I had a different issue that has a strong association with a particular type of inflammatory arthritis, and I have a parent who has it, but they didn't find any evidence of active inflammation so that leaves the wear and tear type as the cause.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
osteoarthritis is the "wear and tear" type, mostly related to mechanical degeneration. it's most common in older folks, as well as athletes and obese people, and it happens when the joints get messed up and the boney bits rub against each other. there are also other kinds of arthritis that are caused by inflammatory processes, like autoimmune disorders that attack the cells in the joints/cartilage, or cause swelling or irritation.

in my case, the pattern of wear itself looks more like what you'd expect from something inflammatory (because of its extent and because it's bilateral), I had a different issue that has a strong association with a particular type of inflammatory arthritis, and I have a parent who has it, but they didn't find any evidence of active inflammation so that leaves the wear and tear type as the cause.
I read the report. Good news - your ass is fairly symmetrical. :)

Sorry babe. The weight - less will always result in less daily pain. Can be hard AF to diet when raising a kid(s) - been there. AS you probably know, sugar and insulin spikes cause inflammation. Less fat on you will mean your body can handle the peaks better. #FightingType2Daily.

We should do a "Things I do to avoid fat/sugar/whatever but not feel too deprived" thread.
cocaine GIF

• Haha
We should do a "Things I do to avoid fat/sugar/whatever but not feel too deprived" thread.
I haven't craved much for sodas (pop for you) or desserts for a long time. Will occasionally have a coke or something with lunch cause it does taste good but we don't keep that stuff in the fridge as a regular drink. Don't consider dessert as part of a meal, etc.
There's already tons of sugar in all kinds of stuff you wouldn't dump a spoonful of sugar on yourself. All kinds of commercially grown fruit is bred and engineered for high sugar content, etc.
Coffee, water, beer, milk, orange juice, ice tea about the vast majority of stuff you might find to drink around here. Not much for raw sugar in the house either, usually have to go specifically buy it if we're doing holiday pies or banana bread or something.

Used to have a big sweet tooth but just kinda lost it over the years somehow.
Still like a cookie or piece of pie once in awhile but a lot of that stuff is so sweet more than a little bit gets to be not enjoyable.

• Gravy
I haven't craved much for sodas (pop for you) or desserts for a long time. Will occasionally have a coke or something with lunch cause it does taste good but we don't keep that stuff in the fridge as a regular drink. Don't consider dessert as part of a meal, etc.
There's already tons of sugar in all kinds of stuff you wouldn't dump a spoonful of sugar on yourself. All kinds of commercially grown fruit is bred and engineered for high sugar content, etc.
Coffee, water, beer, milk, orange juice, ice tea about the vast majority of stuff you might find to drink around here. Not much for raw sugar in the house either, usually have to go specifically buy it if we're doing holiday pies or banana bread or something.

Used to have a big sweet tooth but just kinda lost it over the years somehow.
Still like a cookie or piece of pie once in awhile but a lot of that stuff is so sweet more than a little bit gets to be not enjoyable.
Same here on the sugar. Neither my wife or I have ever been soda drinkers, I in particular am a "once a year" on pop. Not using any sugar in my holiday meal and they will never know - erythritol. Perfect clean flavor, just takes 30% more by volume. Useless for things that need to carmelize - I've tried to make BBQ sauce but it won't bubble or glaze the same. Fine for pie or cake though.
Calorie cutter #2: we use powdered coffee creamer. There is almost a lb of fat in a large container. I mix it 5/50 with fat-free powdered milk.