Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

mRNA tech is gonna make trillions in the years to come. Dont worry too much about them.
I guess I'm not conveying myself properly? I'm not worried about the companies, I have a slight worry about them shoving the technology down our throats. We don't *need* the capacity of a billion doses a month, but these companies still *need* to pay their bills.

It will almost certainly be fine, but just something I thought about.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
You're talking about early child deaths and women dying during childbirth. Yes stuff like that is much better now but back then, if you made it into adulthood and didn't die in a work accident or something, people then lived into their 70s, 80s, and even 90s just like the do now.

The increase in life expectancy in modern times is mostly to do with child mortality, not making old people live to be even older. Sure we got cancer treatments and things that can stretch it out for 6 months or a year or two, maybe even save one here and there, but it ain't enough to make much of a dent in a rate that's projected across millions and billions of people.

Progress keeps happening, things keep getting better, but in the big picture they're baby steps that happen across generations.
another big bump in life modern expectancy was discovery of antibiotics, which does tie back into hygiene.

soaps in general are emollients, they work to help the water wash away the dirt and particles that are in your skin/hair oils, because that oil is hydrophobic so water alone is fairly ineffective. some soaps also have additional ingredients, like moisturizer or antimicrobials.

but what that means is, different people will have different needs for various soaps depending on their bodies, which parts on their bodies, and what kind of things they do with those parts (before or after cleaning).

antimicrobial stuff is obviously important when you're worried about germs, but it's also good to use on any of your dark, dank, moist spots because most body odors are actually caused by bacteria (including bad breath). it's also good to scrub those parts good, because the bacteria can hang out, or be situated in a layer of cells or grime (like how brushing is better than just using mouthwash).

I do agree that some people are very afraid of normal body odors & it can be horrible for you. decades of advertising & media have a lot of people with vaginas thinking there's something wrong with them if it smells like a vagina, or doesn't smell like perfume. and, just as with the previously described cycle of over-shampooing and oil production, they use products that over-clean and fuck up their microbiome which causes overgrowth - in this case, they're usually killing off the beneficial bacteria that keep the bad bacteria in check & they end up with BV or a yeast infection, which makes them have more odors & discharge, so they use more products, etc.

another big bump in life modern expectancy was discovery of antibiotics, which does tie back into hygiene.

soaps in general are emollients, they work to help the water wash away the dirt and particles that are in your skin/hair oils, because that oil is hydrophobic so water alone is fairly ineffective. some soaps also have additional ingredients, like moisturizer or antimicrobials.

but what that means is, different people will have different needs for various soaps depending on their bodies, which parts on their bodies, and what kind of things they do with those parts (before or after cleaning).

antimicrobial stuff is obviously important when you're worried about germs, but it's also good to use on any of your dark, dank, moist spots because most body odors are actually caused by bacteria (including bad breath). it's also good to scrub those parts good, because the bacteria can hang out, or be situated in a layer of cells or grime (like how brushing is better than just using mouthwash).

I do agree that some people are very afraid of normal body odors & it can be horrible for you. decades of advertising & media have a lot of people with vaginas thinking there's something wrong with them if it smells like a vagina, or doesn't smell like perfume. and, just as with the previously described cycle of over-shampooing and oil production, they use products that over-clean and fuck up their microbiome which causes overgrowth - in this case, they're usually killing off the beneficial bacteria that keep the bad bacteria in check & they end up with BV or a yeast infection, which makes them have more odors & discharge, so they use more products, etc.
Yes to all. I had a co-worker when I worked in a shop - they sent him to the clinic, dude had nasty sores. FUcking ringworm. Because he was a filthy piggy.
Groce hips, groce.

Naw, won't get it unless it's recommended for me.
BTW, this study showed that vaccination is unlikely to help much at all in recovered individuals.

While vaccinations are highly effective at protecting against infection and severe COVID-19 disease, our review demonstrates that natural immunity in COVID-recovered individuals is, at least, equivalent to the protection afforded by full vaccination of COVID-naïve populations. There is a modest and incremental relative benefit to vaccination in COVID-recovered individuals; however, the net benefit is marginal on an absolute basis. COVID-recovered individuals represent a distinctly different benefit-risk calculus. Therefore, vaccination of COVID-recovered individuals should be subject to clinical equipoise and individual preference.

BTW, this study showed that vaccination is unlikely to help much at all in recovered individuals.

So this seems to be missing a critical axis: time

How long does covid-exposure grant a similar (or better) level of immunity. Does it tail off quicker than a vaccine, etc

Also, the COVID vaccine has fundamentally zero side effects

COVID on the other hand: The lung damage, brain damage, possible kidney damage, possible liver damage, possible pancreatic misfunction, possible heart attack, possible stroke, and possibility of death are of significant concern.

So this seems to be missing a critical axis: time

How long does covid-exposure grant a similar (or better) level of immunity. Does it tail off quicker than a vaccine, etc

Also, the COVID vaccine has fundamentally zero side effects

COVID on the other hand: The lung damage, brain damage, possible kidney damage, possible liver damage, possible pancreatic misfunction, possible heart attack, possible stroke, and possibility of death are of significant concern.
Time is the same as a vaccine. It doesn't matter if its actual COVID or a lab generated spike protein, your body doesn't care. It will take 10-14 days for the antibodies to develop.

Immunity does not appear to wane as fast as a vaccine. edit: As a reminder, people who got SARS twenty years ago still have immunity to it.

You really seem stuck on this. No one is advocating that everyone get COVID instead of the vaccine. The only thing we're talking about here is the research that shows natural immunity is as good, or better, than the vaccine. Full stop.

The only thing we're talking about here is the research that shows natural immunity is as good, or better, than the vaccine. Full stop.
This is (IMHO) a major problem with modern science. The removal of context from everything.
Everyone (mostly) here has no issues with getting vaccinated instead of a natural immunity, but I guarantee that if I click that link and hit "sort by controversial" I'll get some stupid shit that has likely been deleted by mods. Scientists are trained to put up bland, basic facts. The idiots in the world take em and twist em cause they just see the bottom line.

Time is the same as a vaccine. It doesn't matter if its actual COVID or a lab generated spike protein, your body doesn't care. It will take 10-14 days for the antibodies to develop.

Immunity does not appear to wane as fast as a vaccine. edit: As a reminder, people who got SARS twenty years ago still have immunity to it.

You really seem stuck on this. No one is advocating that everyone get COVID instead of the vaccine. The only thing we're talking about here is the research that shows natural immunity is as good, or better, than the vaccine. Full stop.
wheres it say that bit about the time? Also, covid isnt sars, or we wouldnt need two shots and a booster.

Heres an contradicting study: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm?s_cid=mm7032e1_w. Reinfection almost 3x as likely with natural immunity.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
This is (IMHO) a major problem with modern science. The removal of context from everything.
Everyone (mostly) here has no issues with getting vaccinated instead of a natural immunity, but I guarantee that if I click that link and hit "sort by controversial" I'll get some stupid shit that has likely been deleted by mods. Scientists are trained to put up bland, basic facts. The idiots in the world take em and twist em cause they just see the bottom line.
I'd say they do a pretty good job of moderation there. And that sub is chocked full of actual scientists.

wheres it say that bit about the time? Also, covid isnt sars, or we wouldnt need two shots and a booster.

Heres an contradicting study: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm?s_cid=mm7032e1_w. Reinfection almost 3x as likely with natural immunity.
Time? Maybe I don't understand. Are you contesting that it takes the immune system 10-14 days to make antibodies, or are we discussing something else?

And that report actually came up a couple of times in that thread. It seems this is a much larger study for one. Here's one of the sub-threads about that report.

One of the main reasons I got vaccinated was so I could travel. I figured I'd be required to show proof of vaccination.
Yeah, traveling to Iceland without being vaccinated was a bit more of a pain for one of our friends. She had a prior infection, but it was more than six months ago. She's gonna get vaxxed now just cause it makes life easier.