Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

One thing I’ve learned that I find interesting is, when you have weak insurance, the sicker you get, the more you qualify for. It has lead to a misunderstanding in my “care”.

After one of my earlier hospitalizations, I mentioned that I was considering ways to off myself in case I started to wither away and suffer without help. I had a visit yesterday with another new social worker (they keep going through them) and she asked, “Are you still considering harming yourself?” and I was like “What?!? LOL! Where’d you get THAT?” and she described the “doing myself in” thing.

I had to explain that when you are being discharged after being told that you’re going to get a LOT worse and no, you don’t qualify for any home help or nurses, you’re going to consider other options to avoid going through what I’ve seen but without help (drugs, people, etc). THAT’S what I meant. Then after a later hospitalization, I suddenly qualified for more stuff (nurse, etc). After another, even more I qualified for.

And now I know, even though it’s still gonna suck, I’ll be somewhat comfortable via drugs and nursing etc when I pass. That wasn’t an option when I was asked about doing myself in.

So, I had to ask her. “Who in their right mind WOULDN’T consider a quicker, less torturous way to go if they’re facing months of laying there, shitting themselves, after being told they don’t qualify for help DYING?”

I mean, my surgeon said I’m facing one of the worst possible ways of dying. Yeah. I wanna experience that straight.

One thing I’ve learned that I find interesting is, when you have weak insurance, the sicker you get, the more you qualify for. It has lead to a misunderstanding in my “care”.

After one of my earlier hospitalizations, I mentioned that I was considering ways to off myself in case I started to wither away and suffer without help. I had a visit yesterday with another new social worker (they keep going through them) and she asked, “Are you still considering harming yourself?” and I was like “What?!? LOL! Where’d you get THAT?” and she described the “doing myself in” thing.

I had to explain that when you are being discharged after being told that you’re going to get a LOT worse and no, you don’t qualify for any home help or nurses, you’re going to consider other options to avoid going through what I’ve seen but without help (drugs, people, etc). THAT’S what I meant. Then after a later hospitalization, I suddenly qualified for more stuff (nurse, etc). After another, even more I qualified for.

And now I know, even though it’s still gonna suck, I’ll be somewhat comfortable via drugs and nursing etc when I pass. That wasn’t an option when I was asked about doing myself in.

So, I had to ask her. “Who in their right mind WOULDN’T consider a quicker, less torturous way to go if they’re facing months of laying there, shitting themselves, after being told they don’t qualify for help DYING?”

I mean, my surgeon said I’m facing one of the worst possible ways of dying. Yeah. I wanna experience that straight.
Ask for fentanyl!

You are completely right and rational under the circumstances. Who WOULD? Fuckers are heartless at times. @fly is right - fentanyl is the shit.

god damnit.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Ask for fentanyl!

I have liquid morphine somewhere around here. It was recommended that I keep a freshly filled syringe (it’s sublingual) in my bathroom for when I get stuck.

I don’t know if I’ve described that. I’ve had a few “incidences” where I go take a leak (I’ve been sitting to do that for a couple years), pull my pants up, park it on a barstool I keep in there now, and it takes a half hour to catch my breath. All while hitting an albuterol inhaler, which I keep a half dozen in a hospital barf bowl on the counter.

Supposedly, the morphine will relieve the breathing issue enough almost immediately. I plan on trying it soon. I have some pretty powerful shit on hand but I don’t see using it until absolutely necessary, because there’s no sense in building up a tolerance unnecessarily. It’s becoming necessary now. I’m also currently allowed up to 160 mg of oxycodone a day but take 50. I recently upped that from 40 and it has helped my breathing. Weird.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and fly
Damn. Everything is a book these days.

Speaking of books. Fun fact. I think I’ve read less than six books, cover to cover, in my entire life. Not counting textbooks. That stuns my family.

• Love
  • Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and fly
Abe Lincoln biography (Scholastic Book Club)
Hammer of the Gods Led Zeppelin bio
Eyes of the Dragon Stephen King
Jobs Isaacson

I’m sure there are a couple others.

I also got a Scholastic Book Club book in sixth grade called “101 Pollack Jokes” where I learned this:

There once was a Pole from Nantucket
Who said about sex, well, just fuck it
A young man did hear
Who had a dong like a spear
Did she like it? She took it.
she sucked it

I went to a Catholic school for 11 years

Books can be fun. Seems like you might as well start!

I probably should, if I find something that can successfully grab and keep my attention. Lately, my brain goes in some strange places. Like what do I want to make sure I binge watch before I go? Or re-watch? I finished Veep in two weeks. I just started True Detective, up to episode 7.

I catch myself falling asleep when I start reading long stuff. Boo

I probably should, if I find something that can successfully grab and keep my attention. Lately, my brain goes in some strange places. Like what do I want to make sure I binge watch before I go? Or re-watch? I finished Veep in two weeks. I just started True Detective, up to episode 7.

I catch myself falling asleep when I start reading long stuff. Boo
What grabs you?

What grabs you?

Good question. I dunno. When I read Jobs, I plowed through it in a couple days but the next book I tried reading, I lasted about two days and gave up. I can’t even remember what it was.

I have short attention span really bad now, and I think my increased intake of opiates has to do with that.

Good question. I dunno. When I read Jobs, I plowed through it in a couple days but the next book I tried reading, I lasted about two days and gave up. I can’t even remember what it was.

I have short attention span really bad now, and I think my increased intake of opiates has to do with that.
So gotta be good and novel. I tell you, short poetry books can be good for that. I read one, milk n honey, it was short and sweet and really exemplified young life. I really enjoyed reading each short page :)

So gotta be good and novel. I tell you, short poetry books can be good for that. I read one, milk n honey, it was short and sweet and really exemplified young life. I really enjoyed reading each short page :)

Thanks! I may try something that’s a compilation of shorts instead of a lengthy thing. Good idea!