Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

Things have changed since i was a kid. Fever is not a thing you treat anymore solely for the sake of fever apparently. You only treat it to alleviate discomfort.

Youngest kid had a 104.5 fever yesterday, and that was scary, but apparently a fever that high isnt an issue unless the kid is uncomfy.
Took my kid to the ER once for 104ish fever on pediatricians advice. The doc told me thermometers are useless and to judge by my kids behaviour, eating habits and such. He said sometimes lower fever can be worse than a higher one depending.

Took my kid to the ER once for 104ish fever on pediatricians advice. The doc told me thermometers are useless and to judge by my kids behaviour, eating habits and such. He said sometimes lower fever can be worse than a higher one depending.
therms are kinda worthless, we ended up buying the same ear therm they use at the docs office and its the only one thats been reliable. The axilary ones vary by like 2 fuckin degrees per reading

hey now, crocs may look dumb as fuck, but they're ridiculously comfortable when you have to be on your feet all day in a hospital. they're also really easy to clean. there are other good shoes you can wear, but they're more expensive and it's a lot more of a bummer to get viscera or fluids on your good danskos. you just have to make sure you get the kind that don't have holes - they make your feet sweater, but you don't have to worry about getting pissfeet.

My “ugh” should’ve been more clarified. Crocs are fine (and understandable) in a healthcare professional setting, but teamed with sweatpants and a dirty T-shirt is truly a fashion faux pas. Throw in a sixer of PBR under the arm and it’s indicative of totally giving up.

Crocs, outside of healthcare, are this generation’s tuxedo t shirt.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Back in the day thermometers had mercury in them so you knew what the temperature was and as long as you didn't break the thing open and drink it all was fine.

Of course that was when making a kid hold still for a few minutes was a matter of course and didn't involve psychologists and governmental studies.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and wetwillie
Back in the day thermometers had mercury in them so you knew what the temperature was and as long as you didn't break the thing open and drink it all was fine.

Of course that was when making a kid hold still for a few minutes was a matter of course and didn't involve psychologists and governmental studies.
They still make ones that style with non-hazardous liquid inside. Better ones are laminated glass like a windshield or Corel dishes, very little danger. A little slower but always highly accurate, with no electricity required. Except for with children, haven't seen an ear thermometer at a doctor's office in years. Disposable tips on an oral(electric). Did that yesterday - annual physical and flu shot.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Here's a good reason to not trust WebMD. I was looking for general information on fasting, specifically related to unhealthy blood sugar drops.

These dumbs actually believe that "starvation mode" has a legitimate effect on losing weight. Does metabolism slow down when you eat less? Yes. Will it keep you from losing weight? NO. The effects are miniscule.

The reason losing weight gets harder the longer you diet is because your body needs less energy to maintain your new weight, your metabolism is slowing down because you are eating less not because eating less caused you to go into "starvation mode".

Higher metabolism is great if you are an athlete. If you're sitting your ass on the couch all day, you want a lower metabolism so you don't get fat.

Energy in (food, calories) < Energy out (being alive, exercise) = weight loss.

• Gravy

I drank the mercury when I was a kid. It broke while under my tongue and when mommy removed it, no mercury left.

No, I wasn’t flopping around, acting up, or biting anything (pillow, thermometer, etc) but I’ll gladly accept any “that explains it” response.

Here's a good reason to not trust WebMD. I was looking for general information on fasting, specifically related to unhealthy blood sugar drops.

These dumbs actually believe that "starvation mode" has a legitimate effect on losing weight. Does metabolism slow down when you eat less? Yes. Will it keep you from losing weight? NO. The effects are miniscule.

The reason losing weight gets harder the longer you diet is because your body needs less energy to maintain your new weight, your metabolism is slowing down because you are eating less not because eating less caused you to go into "starvation mode".

Higher metabolism is great if you are an athlete. If you're sitting your ass on the couch all day, you want a lower metabolism so you don't get fat.

Energy in (food, calories) < Energy out (being alive, exercise) = weight loss.

View attachment 10215
Yah, no point in starving yourself for multiple days. Skip a meal and promise yourself to let the next meal sink in well before you double down. I skip breakfast about 4-5 times a week and feel fucking great. Hangry by lunchtime - yes.
My boss tries to do 3-4 day fasts. Lovely, becomes totally goofy in the brain. We hate it. Then he binges the other direction. Dude ate an entire can of Spam yesterday.:lol: 2 weeks from now he'll swear off meat.

• Haha
I drank the mercury when I was a kid. It broke while under my tongue and when mommy removed it, no mercury left.

No, I wasn’t flopping around, acting up, or biting anything (pillow, thermometer, etc) but I’ll gladly accept any “that explains it” response.

You are literally the first person I've ever heard of this happening to.