Ontopic Health Thread: post your AIDS, diseases and infekshunz here.

Are any of the new moms and moms-to-be getting their kids immunized?

Please do.
I'm gonna, but there's a schedule and all. I think the only one they do before initial DC is just the first in the Hep B series. I mean there's other pokes & prods, but as far as actual immunizations go that's it. there's some series you start on pretty soon after hey get home but, for example, the initial MMR, VZV, and Hep A aren't recommended until 12mo, so for the whole first year they're not protected at all against those (which is why it's important for people old enough & not immunocompromised to get them)

I actually got a shot the other day, too! TDaP tho, not meningitis. I was already up-to-date on my TDaP, but when you're pregnant they want you to get it again anyway in the 3rd trimester bc some of the vaccinationy goodness (the antibodies yr body makes) can be passed to the baby, meaning they'll be ~slightly~ protexted against pertussis (they don't have a pertussis-only vaccine) until they can get their own vaccinations. they start the DTaP vaccinations pretty early for kiddos, but it's a series so they're only kinda protected until they get through it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I actually got a shot the other day, too! TDaP tho, not meningitis. I was already up-to-date on my TDaP, but when you're pregnant they want you to get it again anyway in the 3rd trimester bc some of the vaccinationy goodness (the antibodies yr body makes) can be passed to the baby, meaning they'll be ~slightly~ protexted against pertussis (they don't have a pertussis-only vaccine) until they can get their own vaccinations. they start the DTaP vaccinations pretty early for kiddos, but it's a series so they're only kinda protected until they get through it.

Has your heartburn lightened up any?

Kirkland Acid Reducer 196 pills for less than $9. I usually get by on 1/2. (Ranitidine)

• Gravy
Reactions: august
Has your heartburn lightened up any?

Kirkland Acid Reducer 196 pills for less than $9. I usually get by on 1/2. (Ranitidine)
I started taking omeprazole/prilosec & it's been glorious. I tried to stop after the first 2 week course & woke up in agony so I think I'm stuck with it for at least the next ~8 weeks while this probably hairy beastbaby still resides in my guts, but at least it works! @Mr. Asa was saying the ranitidine works for him, too, & my OB gave that as an option, so I'm keeping it in mind if the omeprazole starts doing anything funky

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I started taking omeprazole/prilosec & it's been glorious. I tried to stop after the first 2 week course & woke up in agony so I think I'm stuck with it for at least the next ~8 weeks while this probably hairy beastbaby still resides in my guts, but at least it works! @Mr. Asa was saying the ranitidine works for him, too, & my OB gave that as an option, so I'm keeping it in mind if the omeprazole starts doing anything funky

hope it doesnt happen to you, but when the kid gets GERD and feels what you were feeling, life is just awful for everyone. If your kid cant settle and cries all the time, in my sample size of 2, its fuckin gerd. Once you get that shit sorted out, life infinitely improves.

hope it doesnt happen to you, but when the kid gets GERD and feels what you were feeling, life is just awful for everyone. If your kid cant settle and cries all the time, in my sample size of 2, its fuckin gerd. Once you get that shit sorted out, life infinitely improves.
oh I surely fucking hope not, but I'll definitely keep it in mind. this isn't something I've normally experienced, so as much as I've joked about the hairy baby stuff I really just figured it was the combo of the excess stuff in my abdominal cavity smooshing my stomach & the hormones that make my stuff all loosely goosey not keeping the acid from being smooshed out my esophagus.

how has YOUR stuff been BTW? wasn't it you that was having a tough time with EoE?

Is it possible to spontaneously become lactose intolerant?

mine started as a young adult but as for spontaneous, like, there may have been a lead up to it and I just wasn't paying attention enough to the way my diet in general affected my bowel habits until the newfound lactose intolerance brought nearly-or-actually shitting myself to the table :lol:

so like as for spontaneous for me, it was spontaneous as in the condition hadn't always been present, but probably not spontaneous as in, like, acute onset. but lactose intolerance can share symptoms with other stuff like Crohns/IBD/colitis so if it's a concern it is probably worth getting checked out. this may result in getting a camera in the butt & colon biopsies taken so, you know, heads up.

mine started as a young adult but as for spontaneous, like, there may have been a lead up to it and I just wasn't paying attention enough to the way my diet in general affected my bowel habits until the newfound lactose intolerance brought nearly-or-actually shitting myself to the table :lol:

so like as for spontaneous for me, it was spontaneous as in the condition hadn't always been present, but probably not spontaneous as in, like, acute onset. but lactose intolerance can share symptoms with other stuff like Crohns/IBD/colitis so if it's a concern it is probably worth getting checked out. this may result in getting a camera in the butt & colon biopsies taken so, you know, heads up.
I just had a lot of dairy based stuff this weekend, and for the first time in a while had cereal and milk for breakfast for a couple days in a row and I've just been constant bubbleguts since.

It's the one thing I can really think of that may have done it. No real change outside of that

• Gravy
Reactions: august