Health Class with ERage

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
Sushi lovers, beware! When it comes to food safety, eating it "has become the new Russian roulette," Reuters reports of a new campaign from the California-based Sea Turtle Restoration Project. Why? It's the high level of mercury in the fish.

The group tested mercury levels in the fish served by six top sushi restaurants in Los Angeles. The results? There was so much mercury in the fish that tester Eli Saddler of gotmercury.org warned the food should not be served to the public. Mercury can permanently damage the nervous system in fetuses and may cause temporary memory loss in adults, reports Reuters.

The mercury level in the sushi at those L.A. restaurants was 0.721 parts per million, which is 88 percent higher than the reported Food and Drug Administration level of 0.383 ppm for all fresh and frozen tuna. Some of those samples were so contaminated with mercury that by FDA standards they were unsafe for anyone to eat. Fish that are most notably laced with mercury are big-eyed tuna and blue and yellow-finned tuna, which are also the most popular varieties used in sushi restaurants. Older and bigger fish, such as tuna, have more mercury than smaller fish with shorter life spans, such as salmon and shrimp, which have almost no risk of carrying mercury.

Sushi restaurateurs, such as Nobi Kusuhara, who owns Sushi Sasabune in Los Angeles, insist that sushi is still healthy to eat. "As long as restaurants warn pregnant women and people to eat smaller fish, it is definitely safer and healthier than beef or chicken," Kusuhara told Reuters.

Story found at: http://channels.netscape.com/whatsnew/default.jsp?story=20060307-0842

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I know some of you like sushi so I thought I would pass this story along. Will it change your habits? Probably not. I hate sushi. Personally, I'd rather suck on a broken thermometer to get my mercury content.

Who else here likes/dislikes sushi? What is your favorite kind if you like it? I was okay with the salmon rolls but that was about it.

YOU MEAN UNCOOKED MEAT CAN BE BAD FOR YOU????

nowai.jpg

Drool-Boy said:
sushi bars & bait shops are the same thing as far as Im concerned.

No kidding, every time I'm in a sushi bar i can't help but think that some big ass hook is going to jerk out of the food and into my mouth and yank my ass right off of this planet. Then it will be ERage rolls for the aliens. Circle of life baby.

I've been reading articles about mercury in tuna for quite a while now. Cooking fish with high mercury content doesn't do anything though, canned tuna is cooked and there's still mercury warnings for that as well.

I love sushi and won't give it up, I'll just eat less tuna.

CletusJones said:
I've been reading articles about mercury in tuna for quite a while now. Cooking fish with high mercury content doesn't do anything though, canned tuna is cooked and there's still mercury warnings for that as well.

I love sushi and won't give it up, I'll just eat less tuna.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Mercury_in_fish?OpenDocument

Some fish contain more mercury than others
Mercury levels differ from one species of fish to the next. This is due to factors such as type of fish, size, location, habitat, diet and age. Fish that are predatory (eat other fish) are large and at the top of the food chain, and so tend to contain more mercury. Fish that contain higher levels of mercury include:

* Shark
* Ray
* Swordfish
* Barramundi
* Gemfish
* Orange roughy
* Ling
* Southern bluefin tuna.

Fish with lower mercury levels
Examples of fish that contain lower levels of mercury include:

* Shellfish including prawns, lobsters and oysters
* Salmon
* Canned tuna.<---??

I think you are right though: cooked fish is just as bad in regards to mercury content.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Steak tartare, pork chops rare, raw oysters and clams oh my :drool:

The only thing I won't eat raw or rare (again) is poultry

Again!?!?!??? did you try this? :barf:

never really had sushi, dont care to try it. i like fire, it likes me and my food gets to know it quite well.

ERage said:
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Mercury_in_fish?OpenDocument

Some fish contain more mercury than others
Mercury levels differ from one species of fish to the next. This is due to factors such as type of fish, size, location, habitat, diet and age. Fish that are predatory (eat other fish) are large and at the top of the food chain, and so tend to contain more mercury. Fish that contain higher levels of mercury include:

* Shark
* Ray
* Swordfish
* Barramundi
* Gemfish
* Orange roughy
* Ling
* Southern bluefin tuna.

Fish with lower mercury levels
Examples of fish that contain lower levels of mercury include:

* Shellfish including prawns, lobsters and oysters
* Salmon
* Canned tuna.<---??

I think you are right though: cooked fish is just as bad in regards to mercury content.
I usually stick to salmon, and when I do eat those larger predatory fish it's in small quantities. It's not my fault they're delicious.

For sure, mercury isn't something that can cook off. It's absorbed into the tissues and stuff. If you limit your contact to only occasionally though your body can process it and get rid of it without much trouble. It's the people who eat those foods often that will see the problems.

edit: it's nature's way of teaching us moderation

ChikkenNoodul said:
I love sushi, my favorite is the mackerel :drool:

Mercury, schmercury, people used to drink the stuff as medicine

don't eat anything caught in lake george...the mercury content has been off the charts there for decades

I love sushi too