Health Care in the US...

S

smileynev

...they say costs are rising and, subsequently, so will rates. More people are losing health care as a result. What is the solution? How do we provide coverage for every American while still keeping the quality of service?

long tall smiley said:
...they say costs are rising and, subsequently, so will rates. More people are losing health care as a result. What is the solution? How do we provide coverage for every American while still keeping the quality of service?

Its a combo of the insuance companys being greedy mother fuckers and fraudlent claims (by patients AND doctors) that drive the costs up.

Drool-Boy said:
Its a combo of the insuance companys being greedy mother fuckers and fraudlent claims (by patients AND doctors) that drive the costs up.
How do you stop that? How do you fight natural human greed, or prevent it from destroying the system?

why_ask_why said:
charge a dollar tax towards healthcare for every $5 of fastfood purchased
I don't think the fast food companies will like that too much, not to mention me.

long tall smiley said:
How do you stop that? How do you fight natural human greed, or prevent it from destroying the system?

The system would have to change
but as long as the guys at the top of the system are making assloads of money thats not likely to happen, so the "little guy" continues to get fucked in the ass so some rich insurance company guy can afford another mercedes.

long tall smiley said:
I don't think the fast food companies will like that too much, not to mention me.

considering they are the culprits for much of the US being by definition obese, they should have to shoulder some of the burden as well as the people eating all that fast food

Coqui said:
Yep. Greed is a human flaw. You can't get rid of it. Only possible way is to force sanctions on health companies, but there's only so much of that you can do.
Obviously you cannot fight human greed. It would be futile and wasteful to try. So, instead, you need to design a system that cannot be taken advantage of.

long tall smiley said:
Obviously you cannot fight human greed. It would be futile and wasteful to try. So, instead, you need to design a system that cannot be taken advantage of.

if rich white guys cant make boatloads of money on it , it wont happen

Drool-Boy said:

Those factors do play a part in it. The situation has become a contest between the physicians and the insurance companies over what will and will not be covered. I saw a number of cases in which the doctor thought the patient needed a particular study, procedure, etc. but because the patient did not have the exact ICD-9 code symptoms that the insurance company considered acceptable the doctor couldn't do what he felt was needed. I heard a number of phone calls, which devolved into a battle between the insurance company and the doctor.

In one case I heard a physician assistant tell the insurance company flat out that if the patient died because the test was not done that they (the insurance company) would be responsible. The test was authorized, was positive, and the patient was referred for surgery to remove the cancer. That was a few years ago. The patient is still alive, but probably wouldn't be had the cancer been allowed to go undetected at that time.

I don't know what the answer is.