Head Talk

eileenbunny said:
I sometimes feel like that, but more often it's different than that. For example, one day I found myself wandering around in the rain and cold in a town I had no reason to be in. The last thing I could remember was being on my drive home from work. It was 3 hours later than that and I had no idea where my car was. Sometimes I just lose an hour or two. Sometimes I have flashbacks of things that happened in the past and it's like I'm there again. It's really odd.
:(

Are you on any medication for it?

fly said:
oh yes it is.
Just curious is all. Sorta kinda why I chainsmoke anymore. It stems from one specific subject though, just try not to think about it.

fly said:
:(

Are you on any medication for it?

Yes, seroquel, but I don't have to take it all the time, just when I think I might have an episode. The going to a doctor got me the prescription and I also got to take classes to learn what was going on inside of me physically and to learn what to look for to avoid it happening all the time. The classes were pretty interesting actually.

eileenbunny said:
I hope you can learn to overcome it on your own, but don't let it take over your life. Sometimes the temporary help of medication makes the problem go away permanantly.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I had a friend who had them, took Paxil for 3 weeks, and never had the problem again.

I'm just stubborn. :p

FlamingGlory said:
Just curious is all. Sorta kinda why I chainsmoke anymore. It stems from one specific subject though, just try not to think about it.
Seems easy enough, until one creeps up on ya...

in fact, trying not to think about it IS thinking about it, which makes it worse for me...

eileenbunny said:
Yes, seroquel, but I don't have to take it all the time, just when I think I might have an episode. The going to a doctor got me the prescription and I also got to take classes to learn what was going on inside of me physically and to learn what to look for to avoid it happening all the time. The classes were pretty interesting actually.

How do you know when it 'might' occur - are there signs? Yeah! this is something I would see a medical doctor for.

eileenbunny said:
seroquel? That's some good sleep, huh?

fly said:

in fact, trying not to think about it IS thinking about it, which makes it worse for me...
That's what bathrooms and closets are for!

gottoys? said:
How do you know when it 'might' occur - are there signs? Yeah! this is something I would see a medical doctor for.

The oddest thing is that I wasn't even really aware of what was happening to me until after I was already in a hospital. I had an episode while I was there and then they were able to diagnose me. I can tell when it is going to occur because I know what might trigger it. Someone might say something, or there will be a sudden loud noise or I'll get scared by something and I'll notice myself sort of phasing out. It's hard to explain.

FlamingGlory said:

... and that's the question how do you train yourself to 'not think about things' on demand? Is there a secret to it? I think some people don't have this problem, so how does that work?

fly said:

I have a friend who had this problem and it became so bad she wouldn't leave her house anymore. Don't be as stubborn as she was about getting help. There is a lot of info out there though. Be sure you are reading up on it and not just thinking you are weak for having issues like this. It happens to the best of us.

gottoys? said:
... and that's the question how do you train yourself to 'not think about things' on demand? Is there a secret to it? I think some people don't have this problem, so how does that work?
Yeah, there is a word for it. Best I can think of is 'lack of empathy', I can dismiss thoughts without being affected by them. Of course it makes it much worse when they do creep up on ya or you dont have complete control of what youre thinking.

FlamingGlory said:
Yeah, there is a word for it. Best I can think of is 'lack of empathy', I can dismiss thoughts without being affected by them. Of course it makes it much worse when they do creep up on ya or you dont have complete control of what youre thinking.

I don't know about the empathy thing causing it ... my thoughts race about things like 'how am I going buy the 4 acres in NC' tick tick tick contemplate every possible way I can make it happen. Can I afford it, how to get the financing, don't want to sell anything for downpmt, maybe owner will finance. 'Why did the ODP forecast' run successfully for 10 hours but no data shows in the end user tool' tick tick tick - think of things to check. tick tick tick ...

gottoys? said:
I don't know about the empathy thing causing it ... my thoughts race about things like 'how am I going buy the 4 acres in NC' tick tick tick contemplate every possible way I can make it happen. Can I afford it, how to get the financing, don't want to sell anything for downpmt, maybe owner will finance. 'Why did the ODP forecast' run successfully for 10 hours but no data shows in the end user tool' tick tick tick - think of things to check. tick tick tick ...

Perhaps you can try to set aside some time every day to actually entertain these thoughts so they don't pop up when you don't need them to. Some people practice meditation to empty their minds and relax. Some people take sleeping aids to knock themselves out so they don't have time to entertain the thoughts at all. I bet that makes for some wacky dreams.

eileenbunny said:
I have a friend who had this problem and it became so bad she wouldn't leave her house anymore. Don't be as stubborn as she was about getting help. There is a lot of info out there though. Be sure you are reading up on it and not just thinking you are weak for having issues like this. It happens to the best of us.
Yeah, agoraphobia and panic attacks go hand in hand. You try to make sense of the attacks by avoiding things you think 'created' the attacks. I have had the avoidance thoughts, but try to charge right back into the situation to show myself that things will be okay.

And the problem is that I am weak. I can't control my mind, but I'm learning...

eileenbunny said:
Perhaps you can try to set aside some time every day to actually entertain these thoughts so they don't pop up when you don't need them to.
That is one of the things one of the books I was reading mentioned.

fly said:
That is one of the things one of the books I was reading mentioned.

So what was the name of the book?

as an aside alot of people have been talking about ambien lately - work , radio

fly said:
Many men try to calm their anxiety/agoraphobia with alcohol, which only compounds the problem. :D

Anxiety also runs in families, which may explain why my dad is a raging alcoholic... :fly:

we need to hang out, grab a beer and compare notes on family.