HDMI and DVI

S

smileynev

Are there any benefits to an HDMI connection over a DVI connection if your audio is run through a receiver anyway?

BigNev said:
Are there any benefits to an HDMI connection over a DVI connection if your audio is run through a receiver anyway?
HDMI spec allows for longer cable runs. Run whatever is native to the monitor because the converters introduce loss and points for RF interference.

BigNev said:
ah. I didn't know there were other places on the internet besides here. Thanks!

:lol: If I were more informed about that stuff I just would say it. However, the link I posted also has a well written article on top of it (in case you didn't click on it since it said forum on it) that might help you.

Coqui said:
:lol: If I were more informed about that stuff I just would say it. However, the link I posted also has a well written article on top of it (in case you didn't click on it since it said forum on it) that might help you.

I skimmed through it. Very informative actually.

theacoustician said:
HDMI spec allows for longer cable runs. Run whatever is native to the monitor because the converters introduce loss and points for RF interference.
I plan on just running conduit to where the tv and/or projector will be. I figure this stuff changes so often I don't want to be set with just one standard.

BigNev said:
I plan on just running conduit to where the tv and/or projector will be. I figure this stuff changes so often I don't want to be set with just one standard.
You can't terminate HDMI or DVI yourself. If you're running conduit, be prepared to fill it with fiber and use a video RX/TX set.

another question. fly says that using a project for daily tv viewing is fine, even during the daytime. While I trust fly and his judgement, I would like more opinions on using a projector as the primary tv for a family as compared to a DLP or LCOS tv.

BigNev said:
another question. fly says that using a project for daily tv viewing is fine, even during the daytime. While I trust fly and his judgement, I would like more opinions on using a projector as the primary tv for a family as compared to a DLP or LCOS tv.
1. you need to buy a projector that's bright enough
2. you need to use a screen
3. you're not going to buy a lcos set because the current jvc lcos rptv sucks and sony's version of lcos rptv cost about $70k.
4. you're going to spend less money and brainpower going with a nice rptv.

theacoustician said:
1. you need to buy a projector that's bright enough
2. you need to use a screen
3. you're not going to buy a lcos set because the current jvc lcos rptv sucks and sony's version of lcos rptv cost about $70k.
4. you're going to spend less money and brainpower going with a nice rptv.

So a bright enough projector + decent screen >$ DLP 50" or greater tv?

need one of these for high quality video watchin
cci_films.jpg