HD tvs and repair

Sarcasmo

A Taste Of Honey Fluff Boy
Mar 28, 2005
Austin
Marklar
₥663
Does anyone here know anything about HD tvs and how to repair them?

I just picked up a 50" Toshiba (model 50H82) that's 3 years old from a friend of mine. The t.v. works, but the picture has lines all through it and of course it's off warranty at this point or this thread wouldn't exist. Out of frustration my friend gave me the t.v. for free and wished me luck just to get rid of it. Now I just have to fix it.

According to everything I've found online the cause is most likely bad capacitors on the scan converter (hyper module). People have been quoted $600 for a new hyper module (with labor) from repair shops, including Toshiba. The thing is, a pack of 25 10uF/16v capacitors costs $1.25. This particular part has 11 of them. If I can just take the scan converter to a shop and have them replace the bad capacitors and re-solder the converter to the motherboard I can then just reinstall the motherboard in the t.v...right?

Thoughts? Experience?

Last edited:
The electronic apartment building at the front is the scan converter. Again, it's soldered to the board which is fucking genius.

scanconverter.jpg

Do you own a soldering gun and a test set? If you know what's wrong it should be pretty easy to locate the bad parts.

There is only one way to find out!

Last edited:
I don't own a soldering gun or a test set. And I'd be nervous to use them if I did. The t.v. was free, but a fucked up board is more expensive than some capacitors.

my roommate does shit like this regularly...have any more pics? specifically of the other side?

I haven't seen a tv repair shop in years. They just haven't got a place in a world where even expensive items are disposable. Do you even realize that repairing consumer electronics just helps the turrists? Why do you hate America?

There's a place in Dallas that repairs most electronics including t.v.s, computers, radios, and (get this) vcrs. :fly:

w_a_w, I took a ton of pics last night while deconstructing this beast (I mean the t.v. itself), so I'd know how to put it back together again. It was my first foray into the guts of a new-fangled hd tv, and i can't believe the shit inside of them. It's worse than any PC I've ever seen. So yeah, I'll post a few more pics tonight if you want.

This will end in tears. Quote this post.

Seriously though you can give it a try. If you fail what have you lost? Nothing except some tinkering time and now you have a semi-interesting story to tell people.

If spending the $600 to get it repaired is even a consideration (which I doubt it is) I'd recommend getting a digital projector for that much instead.

There's a place in Dallas that repairs most electronics including t.v.s, computers, radios, and (get this) vcrs. :fly:

w_a_w, I took a ton of pics last night while deconstructing this beast (I mean the t.v. itself), so I'd know how to put it back together again. It was my first foray into the guts of a new-fangled hd tv, and i can't believe the shit inside of them. It's worse than any PC I've ever seen. So yeah, I'll post a few more pics tonight if you want.

if you can't get it repaired for a reasonable amount, send it to me...my buddy will do it for like ~$50 labor...we have a mad scientist's electronics lab in my basement :cool:

Take those RF shields off (the shiny tin metal), and take more pics of the caps. That way we can see if the caps blew, are leaking, etc. The shields should just snap off and out of the way.

This will end in tears. Quote this post.

Seriously though you can give it a try. If you fail what have you lost? Nothing except some tinkering time and now you have a semi-interesting story to tell people.

If spending the $600 to get it repaired is even a consideration (which I doubt it is) I'd recommend getting a digital projector for that much instead.

I have hope. Everything I've read about this problem has the same solution. Here's a good discussion about it.

http://www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/02-2006/msg00545.html

Calling all UF electronics people.

Anyone know anything about mounting v-chip aluminum electrolytic capacitors to PCB? I have to replace 11 of them and I don't know how to affix them to the board. Solder paste? Can I use reflow techniques with other temperature-sensitive components attached to the board?

These suckers:

829188-00012.jpg

That little plastic base is throwing me off, since the metal cap tabs are located beneath it.

Calling all UF electronics people.

Anyone know anything about mounting v-chip aluminum electrolytic capacitors to PCB? I have to replace 11 of them and I don't know how to affix them to the board. Solder paste? Can I use reflow techniques with other temperature-sensitive components attached to the board?

These suckers:

829188-00012.jpg

That little plastic base is throwing me off, since the metal cap tabs are located beneath it.

I'll ask my buddy tonight