Movie HBO: The Pacific

Atan Nolme

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
Karningul,Eriador, Endor
Marklar
₥431
Has any one seen this mini-series? If so, then what did you think of it? I have read the book which is different from the mini-series. The book pretty much ignores Private First Class Robert Leckie and instead adds a marine officer who as in the Philippines when the war broke out and a navy carrier bomber pilot.

I thought it was all over the place. It didn't give you time to relate to the characters and give a damn about them before it moved on. Way too big an adventure to be covered so quickly.

I thought it was all over the place. It didn't give you time to relate to the characters and give a damn about them before it moved on. Way too big an adventure to be covered so quickly.

Well put, and totally accurate.

Most of the characters are almost totally interchangeable, and I had trouble remembering who was who (even while watching it) because they never really did anything to set themselves apart. Except for Leckie, whom I only remember because they did an entire episode about him pissing himself, no I'm not making that up.

Last edited:

The book is very similar in that it jumped from person to person. While keeping the the time-line correct. Agreed on the shortness of some battles. I think the Battle of Midway was 2 to 3 pages at most.

In addition to those failures it seemed like they tried too hard to make it more appealing to women with unending romantic rhetoric. The switch from awesomely sick and terrifying episodes like Bastogne in Band of Bros to the lame love stories of Pacific was too much to bear.

Also, Pacific should win an award for most unnecessarily drawn out opening sequence/theme song.

Has any one seen this mini-series? If so, then what did you think of it? I have read the book which is different from the mini-series. The book pretty much ignores Private First Class Robert Leckie and instead adds a marine officer who as in the Philippines when the war broke out and a navy carrier bomber pilot.
I actually enjoyed the pacific. There was a show or two somewhere in the middle where it focused on the difficulty of having a serious relationship during war time that I think turned a lot of viewers off. If you can get through this it transitions back to the good stuff and wraps up very well. I recommend it

as for my thoughts on pacific vs. band of brothers: the pacific does special effects, cinematography, and sheer brutality better than BoB and BoB does everything else (especially character development) better.