Halp Having a box for checked luggage

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
Does anyone know the protocol now for checking a taped up box as luggage? I have scoured TSA's website as well as the airline's site but I haven't found anything specific to boxed luggage.

Does anyone know the protocol now for checking a taped up box as luggage? I have scoured TSA's website as well as the airline's site but I haven't found anything specific to boxed luggage.

Like a suitcase they run it through scanners and it can be subject to random check with them opening the box and searching through it.

My wife just brought a tripod all boxed up to Jamaica for her boss, and the customs guys down there tore it all open.

My wife just brought a tripod all boxed up to Jamaica for her boss, and the customs guys down there tore it all open.

That's why I am bring my packing tape just in case I have to reseal everything.

Why not just ship the package via UPS or Fedex? I bet it would be the same price or cheaper in the end. Just double box it and bubble wrap/packing peanuts for any valuables inside the box.

Side note: I've got a couple of mailboxes at the UPS Store and I frequently see people bringing their actual luggage to ship via UPS instead of bringing them to the airport. Cost I would bet is the same. Then you just pack a small bag with a few changes of clothes, mail your luggage a few days in advance, and be done with it.

Sad to say this is what airline travel has become. Pack too many people into the cattle car (aka a plane) with no luxuries (or even working bathrooms in some cases) and charge obscene amounts of money.

Last edited:
Why not just ship the package via UPS or Fedex? I bet it would be the same price or cheaper in the end. Just double box it and bubble wrap/packing peanuts for any valuables inside the box.

Side note: I've got a couple of mailboxes at the UPS Store and I frequently see people bringing their actual luggage to ship via UPS instead of bringing them to the airport. Cost I would bet is the same. Then you just pack a small bag with a few changes of clothes, mail your luggage a few days in advance, and be done with it.

Sad to say this is what airline travel has become. Pack too many people into the cattle car (aka a plane) with no luxuries (or even working bathrooms in some cases) and charge obscene amounts of money.

Um, what?

$25 for the checked bag vs. $201.17 Fedex

I need it there by Friday for the weekend.

uhhh, yes, you can put ANY lock on it. They might cut it, but you can put it on there...

Yes. I can tape a box, too, but they might cut it.

However, a bag can go on a plane without a lock just fine. A box that is not securely closed, however, will not.

Also my company is reimbursing the baggage fee, so even that $25 doesn't bother me at all. Could be Sprint Airline's $45 + $45 for a carry on for all I care.