Have I mentioned

Most nose hits won't kill a guy. A broken nose takes the fight out of them quickly. But a chin blow has a better chance of knocking them out. Or am I wrong?

b_sinning said:
Most nose hits won't kill a guy. A broken nose takes the fight out of them quickly. But a chin blow has a better chance of knocking them out. Or am I wrong?

With that angle (in the pic) I think your knuckle would get more damage than the chin

b_sinning said:
true but never hit the chin the way the picture shows unless you're wearing gloves, otherwise you'll damage knuckles like coqui stated. if you're crossing, go for the nose, eyes, cheek. if you're hooking try to get the lower jaw. knockouts are typically the result of too much stimulation to the brain; it shuts down to protect itself. you've got a lot of nerves right around that area including a very important branchial motor set, the mandibular branch. when you break a jaw those nerves are stretched, compressed, and twisted which feeds a massive amount of stimulation to the brain.

Last edited:
b_sinning said:
Is it better to go for the chin or nose? Which will end the fight the fastest?

You're aiming about 3.5 feet too high if you're looking to end a fight fast.

As for the original topic... It's his fault he didn't show his interest when it would have mattered to her. Also it's her fault she allowed him to get that close to her without being interested in him.

And if she snuggled with him she deserves whatever hell she gets from all of this.

There 2 ways to knock someone out from a single punch (this does not necessarily mean everyone can easily do it).

One is to "bounce" the brain on the front or the back of the skull. You can do this by striking the forehead with an abrupt "snap" like strike, or similiarly the back right beneath the "dome" of the head. Hitting it from the sides do not work because there usually isn't enough room.

The other is to "torque" the neck in such a way that the Carotid arteries "spurt" blood into the brain too quickly and it temporarily shuts down. Hitting someone in the chin can do this from an upwards angle. And hitting someone in the jaw can do this from a sideways angle. You can also strike the arteries directly and accomplish the same kind of knockout. The easiest way to do this is to make a fist and hit the target on the side of the neck with the bottom (fleshy) part of your hand.

A blade hand (like a Karate chop that everyone in the movies use) isn't as reliable as a fist because the impact is to thin across the artery. So it can work, just not as well.

Last edited:
reverendsaintjay said:

As for the original topic... It's his fault he didn't show his interest when it would have mattered to her. Also it's her fault she allowed him to get that close to her without being interested in him.

And if she snuggled with him she deserves whatever hell she gets from all of this.

I think I like what the topic morphed into. Makes for great notes. :)

And alas, I don't think there has been any snuggling. God knows he would be a happier person for it. May have even worked up the courage to ask her out at that point.

reverendsaintjay said:
Truth. There is also the whole concept of moving in that people dont understand. Don't reach, stay balanced and rush inside. Usually a show of overwhelming violence even without a great deal of pain is enough to end a fight.

why_ask_why said:
neither...solar plexus
if the guy knows how to fight and how to breathe properly when being struck it may not be as effective. it'll still hurt him but if you're not knocking the wind out of him then it may only make things worse for you

FlamingGlory said:
Truth. There is also the whole concept of moving in that people dont understand. Don't reach, stay balanced and rush inside. Usually a show of overwhelming violence even without a great deal of pain is enough to end a fight.
for sure, rushing in in a flash of fury is more than most people can handle.

FlyNavy said:
if the guy knows how to fight and how to breathe properly when being struck it may not be as effective. it'll still hurt him but if you're not knocking the wind out of him then it may only make things worse for you

solar plexus shot will drop the avg dude no problem :p

FlyNavy said:

Chop to the throat. Now breathe

why_ask_why said:
solar plexus shot will drop the avg dude no problem :p
true :cool: just gotta be sure you're actually going up against an average dude :o

Coqui said:
Chop to the throat. Now breathe
Different than a shot to the chest. Boxers learn to breathe properly during their bouts and release a short, controlled explosion of breath during each strike as well as when they take a hit. Won't prevent getting the wind knocked out but it decreases the likelihood.

A "chop" to the throat...well that all depends on where it lands. Hitting the trachea will cause a lot of pain and with enough force can crush it, possibly leading to death. Pressure on the carotid arterty will slow the flow of blood to the brain and eventually knock the person out but typically constant pressure would be needed unless you manage to actually damage it with the strike. In either case the throat is a very bad place to get hit - another reason to keep your head down during a fight in addition to protecting that jaw and chin area.

FlyNavy said:
A "chop" to the throat...well that all depends on where it lands. Hitting the trachea will cause a lot of pain and with enough force can crush it, possibly leading to death. Pressure on the carotid arterty will slow the flow of blood to the brain and eventually knock the person out but typically constant pressure would be needed unless you manage to actually damage it with the strike. In either case the throat is a very bad place to get hit - another reason to keep your head down during a fight in addition to protecting that jaw and chin area.

And what ends a fight the fastest? ;)

Coqui said:
And what ends a fight the fastest? ;)
Um...

fn_hg_hpsa.jpg

Coqui said:
Either you have to already have one or the fight takes at least 2 months to end (whatever the waiting period is now)
If you dont have one you shouldnt even consider it (there is no waiting period in most states though). There is no way in hell you'll cap someone legally in a stressfull situation without training.

Regardless CCW is the fastest way to end a life threatening fight. I'm also a huge advocate of hitting people in the balls.