Halp Has anyone ever distilled liquor?

Like Fly said earlier you can apply for a permit through ATF and distill whatever you want if approved. I would assume bourbon's and whiskeys are a bit easier to get approved since they are typically barrel aged.
Where did fly say this?

Also you can. The ability to apply for a permit doesn't mean you'll get one. Depends a lot on the local field office and stuff.

The ATF is notorious about exercising arbitrary power. They can technically approve a lot of stuff but never do.

The idea of building a still and tinkering with it to produce tasty products appeals to me deeply
The shady laws at the state level regarding this activity, however, causes me to balk at the idea
I do, however come from a long line of hillbillies and Ive no doubt there was likely a moonshiner or two in there somewhere.
Hmmmm...

Well it's less the follow through and more the time investment vs home brew. You're talking having it barrel age for multiple years to even make it decent bourbon.
Cleveland whiskey is proving this point. Their speed aged whiskey isn't all that delicious. Makes a decent mixer though.