Halp Hard Drive Recovery Services help needed

Atan Nolme

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
Karningul,Eriador, Endor
Marklar
₥431
Last March I bought a 1TB HHD as a backup option and large USB "stick". It lasted ~ 3months before the drive died completely and suddenly (I.e. no mechanical noises). Looking at the HHD, it looks like one coils is physically busted. There is nothing monetarily on the HHD, mostly mods for games (4Gb just for the KotOR series :fly: ) some of which I could never get back do the sites going off the interweb.

For those that have used hard drive recovery services, which one would you recommend?

I nave looked at this review of some of them;

http://hard-drive-recovery-services-review.toptenreviews.com/

Right now I am leaning towards Drive Savers

What's the name of fag program (or CD) Geek Squad uses to "fix" computers? MRI?

Will that help?

...................................................................................................................................................................................................

It really depends on how bad you want that data back. You can use SW or a pay service. OnTrack is the best we use but it's crazy expensive.

I nearly a terabyte of music while back. All perfectly aligned rips done on plextor drives >.<

Aside from like some japanese albums nothing was irreplaceable though. "Sites going offline" >.> believe me, if you found it on the net, it's still out there, just might require some ingenuity to get at. Unless the data is worth more than the replacement cost of the drive, like family photos or something, or you have money to burn...

I'm culturally Jewish >.>

Post a photo of said broken coil. If you are referencing an electronic component found on the PCB on the bottom of the harddrive, you have a slight chance that if you can find an exact PCB match from a donor harddrive, then you can swap the PCB and see if that gets your harddrive going again. Otherwise you'll need to send the harddrive to a drive recovery expert who has all kinds of PCBs to swap with. I'm partnered with Ontrack, though I haven't had to used them yet.

Post a photo of said broken coil. If you are referencing an electronic component found on the PCB on the bottom of the harddrive, you have a slight chance that if you can find an exact PCB match from a donor harddrive, then you can swap the PCB and see if that gets your harddrive going again. Otherwise you'll need to send the harddrive to a drive recovery expert who has all kinds of PCBs to swap with. I'm partnered with Ontrack, though I haven't had to used them yet.

I've had luck in the past doing exactly this. Of course, what are the odds of him having another board of similar revision level lying around his house?

This reminds me I should sell these PCBs I have laying around here somewhere that I got off dead harddrives. Make a few bucks for people needing to recover critical data off old harddrives without any backup. :fly: