Happy Turkey Day!

Well, we had a dinner, between my father's atrocious table manners and everyone calling each other bitches I finally left when my little brother called me a faggot.

Sarcasmo said:
I'm a very non-traditional person. I like, no NEED, to try new things. I'd like to have Christmas on a beach in Bali some year.
The first Christmas with my inlaws we ate at this really REALLY nice restaurant in Tampa (Burns). I thought I would hate it (I likes my traditional holiday meals). But I must say I look forward to that more than the traditional meal now. It's nice to get gussied up sometimes and go out for a nice meal. No dishes to clean up+++

FlamingGlory said:
Well, we had a dinner, between my father's atrocious table manners and everyone calling each other bitches I finally left when my little brother called me a faggot.

Sounds like you have an interesting family.

Pandora said:
The first Christmas with my inlaws we ate at this really REALLY nice restaurant in Tampa (Burns). I thought I would hate it (I likes my traditional holiday meals). But I must say I look forward to that more than the traditional meal now. It's nice to get gussied up sometimes and go out for a nice meal. No dishes to clean up+++

I've always been a bit of an elitist about traditions in general. I tend to view them as a bizarre rut that keeps you from trying new things.

On the other hand, as I grow older, and especially now that I have a child of my own, I'm starting to view them as more of a source of identity. Like something you know you can count on regardless of how fucked up life gets or how many troubles it throws at you. It's a source of continuity and strength and a sense of self.

But when I was growing up we did Christmas in the Canary Islands 3 years in a row, and it was amazing. Listening to Stevie Wonder ("I Just Called To Say I Love You was the number 1 hit at the time) while following my parents through an underground "mall" of bars and restaurants and taverns, dropping black cats in peoples' beer... God we had some good times. I miss that. Lots of truly unique memories. I want to expose Ethan to a lot of travel some day, but I'm starting to see why people stick to their same routines for generations.

Sarcasmo said:
I've always been a bit of an elitist about traditions in general. I tend to view them as a bizarre rut that keeps you from trying new things.

On the other hand, as I grow older, and especially now that I have a child of my own, I'm starting to view them as more of a source of identity. Like something you know you can count on regardless of how fucked up life gets or how many troubles it throws at you. It's a source of continuity and strength and a sense of self.

But when I was growing up we did Christmas in the Canary Islands 3 years in a row, and it was amazing. Listening to Stevie Wonder ("I Just Called To Say I Love You was the number 1 hit at the time) while following my parents through an underground "mall" of bars and restaurants and taverns, dropping black cats in peoples' beer... God we had some good times. I miss that. Lots of truly unique memories. I want to expose Ethan to a lot of travel some day, but I'm starting to see why people stick to their same routines for generations.
Funny that I read this while following my fathers time honored tradition of eating cold dressing Thanksgiving night. There is something to be said about the comforts of tradition. It certainly does give one a sense of identity. However I have mixed feelings about the traditional family holiday gathering. It's almost like people gather out of a sense of obligation, sit around reminiscing about old times, and talk about superficial things or who's sick or dying, promise each other keep in touch better, then quickly run out the door and forget all about it. Or is that just my family?

Pandora said:
Funny that I read this while following my fathers time honored tradition of eating cold dressing Thanksgiving night. There is something to be said about the comforts of tradition. It certainly does give one a sense of identity. However I have mixed feelings about the traditional family holiday gathering. It's almost like people gather out of a sense of obligation, sit around reminiscing about old times, and talk about superficial things or who's sick or dying, promise each other keep in touch better, then quickly run out the door and forget all about it. Or is that just my family?

That's definitely not just your family. I've recognized that since I was very young. I was always the weird, quiet, analytical kid. My family gatherings were the same way, except mix in gossip too. I would listen to them and just shake my head. Even as a kid.

I hate gossip. I absolutely hate it. My family members would sit around and feed each other morsels of completely unfounded and invalidated horse crap, and they would each hang on every thought and word like it was gospel. It just infuriates me that people are that stupid. My immediate family realized it too though, so we never really kept in touch with our extended family while living overseas. That's just what happens when you grow up and stay in the same small town forever. You never evolve or achieve any wisdom or perspective on the world.

My mom used to tell me "Just think, that could be me. Thank God I met your father and we moved the hell out of there."

The funny part is that because my dad had the balls to go to college and make something of himself and earn his wealth he and my mom are now mostly ostracized and known only as "the millionaires". "The millionaires are too good to come here and spend time with us for the holidays." Shit like that.

Thank God we gave up on the family gathering garbage.

Onnotangu said:
fat sassy and happy.
Good now here's a tip, stop posting.

edit: This is by judgement of other thread posts, not this one alone.

Last edited:
2320051125h.jpg

FlamingGlory said:
Ah, yes, the time of year when people get together and are forced into the same house for days on end until tension finally breaks ending in broken dishes and shattered dreams.

Ain't that the truth. That's why I spend holidays with immediate family-meaning my kids-and stay the hell away from the rest of my so-called 'family'.

A day late, but HAPPY T-DAY EVERYONE!

I had to many people here yesterday and they wouldn't understand me being at the computer, but I still want you to know that I was thinking about you all and I hope you had a very nice day and continue throughout the weekend :heart: :heart: