Happy St Paddys day!

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Clam whisperer
Oct 15, 2004
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥14,427
Happy St Patrick's day, the patron saint of Ireland, who was English. w00t!

Anybody going to get horribly drunk? I'm probably not, I have no money, although we are going to the pub after work today so there is potential seeing as said pub has 8% scrumpy cider.

How do you Irish fellows feel about St Paddys? Commerical holiday? Time of celebration? Basically an excuse to drink and act like a knob?

Who cares, Wales is our submissive bitch. And I can say that because I'm Welsh.
You can thank Henry 8 for that. Though with devolution they can pass their own laws now. England cant though.

Im little bit welsh, and irish, unfortunately.

Was the Carnival in Brazil only created after missionaries made it down there? Because from shows I've seen lots of indigenous tribes have similar things and they've not been touched by Christianity.

I don't know when it was made. All I know is that it's the party right before Lent begins.

And from what I understand about Mardi Gras as well it wasn't created due to anything to do with Christianity. Maybe FG will wikipedia this to contradict me though :p

Mardi Gras = Fat Tuesday = eat, drink, and debauchery prior to fasting and giving up vices for Ash Wednesday, the official start of the Lenten season.

Most festivals and celebrations are dictated by the holidays of the major religions, Christmas is only December 25th because of a pagan festival etc. I thought mardi gras in Brazil etc. was a tribal/voodoo type origin.

I dont need to wikipedia shit yo, Im catholic.

Coqui is right anyway. It's almost completely Catholic induced, they have similar festivals in Denmark which was never a Roman province and Voodoo is based on Christianity.

Christmas wasnt an important day until the Reformation. Before that Epiphany was the big feast and they didnt really care when Jesus was born. In Egypt they celebrated it sometime in late may. Then it got moved to when there were a bunch of roman and germanic winter festivals so that people would stop celebrating them.

Better than fucking Cinco De Mayo, bleeding mexicans. We might as well do guy fawkes night if they do cinco de mayo.