FYI Gun Control

Listening to Howard Stern this a.m. At frist he was really in shock that you can buy a gun so "easily" He was saying how it should be hard like it is in NY. Then he said.. well it's not going to stop anyone, but at least it would make people feel better...

Funny how gun knowledge is not a requirement when buying a gun in the US.. So I guess a lot of people can be a danger with guns.. Kinda supports his argument..

Funny how gun knowledge is not a requirement when buying a gun in the US.. So I guess a lot of people can be a danger with guns.. Kinda supports his argument..

I'd say itd be a good idea if a safety class was required before someone was allowed to buy guns, but its completely unenforcable. Itd hamper peoples efforts at a sporting good store but thats about it. You said you bought your handgun in a parking lot. I bought my 270 in a parking lot from a guy who posted an ad on the internet. I bought my ar lower at a gunshow this weekend from a guy who I paid cash...

these are the reasons why gun control is impossible and a waste of time.

classes aren't a bad idea to register/purchase. you have to take classes to get a motorcycle license, why not a gun? seems reasonable. it would also help weed out the nutjobs. if this guy had to take classes to get his gun this might not have happened. then again he might have just obtained it illegally so who knows.

I'd say itd be a good idea if a safety class was required before someone was allowed to buy guns, but its completely unenforcable. Itd hamper peoples efforts at a sporting good store but thats about it. You said you bought your handgun in a parking lot. I bought my 270 in a parking lot from a guy who posted an ad on the internet. I bought my ar lower at a gunshow this weekend from a guy who I paid cash...

these are the reasons why gun control is impossible and a waste of time.

I agree that you can not control how guns exchange hands. But if the people want regulation to stipulate that one must have proper knowledge of a gun in order to possess one, then they simply need to pass a law requiring a firearm license. Just like a car, if you are caught with one without a license then you will face penalties. By no means does this outright stop people from being in possession of a gun without the required knowledge, but it will reduce the numbers of gun owners ignorant to gun safety. Just like a driver's license reduces the number of people that drive without safe driving knowledge.

classes aren't a bad idea to register/purchase. you have to take classes to get a motorcycle license, why not a gun? seems reasonable. it would also help weed out the nutjobs. if this guy had to take classes to get his gun this might not have happened. then again he might have just obtained it illegally so who knows.
How many nutjobs do you see with drivers' licenses?

I the purpose of this licensing idea is not to weed out the criminals but rather to encourage gun safety.

I'd agree. Even if you had 90 days/6 mos, etc, after the purchase to complete it. That wouldn't prevent you from missing a purchase opportunity and still require some kind of training.

You have to have a lic to DRIVE a car or a Motorcycle. Not own one.

Waiting 90 days is bullsh*t,again I'll point out the LA riots, people ran out to get guns to protect themselves, they were told they had to wait 15 days. None of this stuff will keep CRIMINALS from getting a gun. You can still just buy one from anyone off the street. All these things do is make it harder for people that follow laws to get guns. Guns make NEWS, that's why all these stupid ideas come up. People use all kinds of things for crime, again you could just run some one the F over, or you could hit them w/ a bat. If you "force" training on people WTF is that going to do? I mean it's good for someone to learn how to handle one, but I grew up knowing how. I should not he forced to pay to take some class for it.

All of these ideas make it harder for people that follow the law to get guns.

Last edited:
If you want to shoot on an NRA range, you have to pass a basic gun safety test in order to do so.

If you buy a gun from bass pro they go over basic saftey rules.

You can fall off a ladder, should you be required to take a ladder saftey class and pass training before you can buy a ladder?

Artey ( from howard stern) His dad fell off a ladder and was a quad before he died. They tried to sue the ladder company...... The big LOL was he stole the f-ing ladder.

Laim, my ladder comment does not have anything to do w/ your comment, I just added it to the post.

Last edited:
If you buy a gun from bass pro they go over basic saftey rules.

You can fall off a ladder, should you be required to take a ladder saftey class and pass training before you can buy a ladder?

Artey ( from howard stern) His dad fell off a ladder and was a quad before he died. They tried to sue the ladder company...... The big LOL was he stole the f-ing ladder.

Laim my ladder comment does not have anything to do w/ your comment, I just added it to the post.

How many others can you easily kill on purpose and accidentally with a ladder?

You have to have a lic to DRIVE a car or a Motorcycle. Not own one.

Waiting 90 days is bullsh*t,again I'll point out the LA riots, people ran out to get guns to protect themselves, they were told they had to wait 15 days. None of this stuff will keep CRIMINALS from getting a gun. You can still just buy one from anyone off the street. All these things do is make it harder for people that follow laws to get guns. Guns make NEWS, that's why all these stupid ideas come up. People use all kinds of things for crime, again you could just run some one the F over, or you could hit them w/ a bat. If you "force" training on people WTF is that going to do? I mean it's good for someone to learn how to handle one, but I grew up knowing how. I should not he forced to pay to take some class for it.

All of these ideas make it harder for people that follow the law to get guns.

They don't have to use it to own it. The purpose was to make sure that someone who wanted to own a gun didn't miss out on an opportunity to own it. If a non owner walked into a gun show and decided he had a great opportunity to purchase a gun he could. He could also use it, but would also have 90 days to take some class and get some training. In this way the prospective owner isn't prevented from the purchase, nor the usage, but require them to get some basic training. It clearly doesn't make it harder to get guns for the law abiding citizen.

They don't have to use it to own it. The purpose was to make sure that someone who wanted to own a gun didn't miss out on an opportunity to own it. If a non owner walked into a gun show and decided he had a great opportunity to purchase a gun he could. He could also use it, but would also have 90 days to take some class and get some training. In this way the prospective owner isn't prevented from the purchase, nor the usage, but require them to get some basic training. It clearly doesn't make it harder to get guns for the law abiding citizen.

I still don't see the point of it. Again if something like that did pass, I'm sure I'd be exempt w/ my CHL.