FYI Gun Control

Incorrect. The fewer guns available in society means that only the law abiding that would use them for self defense will have a lower number of them. Those who obtain them illegally are not going to see a drop in access. Guns are here to stay. You can't uninvent it and it's simply impossible to rid the world of them. It's not going to happen. Trying to do so only removes the source for those that would use them to defend themselves.

No one is talking about the possibility of "uninventing" guns or ridding the world completely of them. However, if guns are made less easily accessible, then the number of shootings will surely decrease. Sure, maniacs who wish to get guns illegally will always be able to - I don't think any society will ever be able to rid itself completely of the occasional tragic mass murder spree such as that which inspired this thread. There is however a strong likelihood that there will be fewer one-off acts of violence caused by ordinarily law-abiding citizens, if guns were outlawed. It's the most obvious deadly weapon there is for those temporarily alienated by society, going through a difficult stretch in their life etc. to kill someone if things get a bit too tough for them to handle.

Oh and by the way, I don't know why you argue in such an arrogant way, baldly stating "Incorrect" as if it were a fact that your opinion is the truth. It's probably because as a US marine, you love guns and think everyone should have one, and have difficulty accepting others' viewpoints. Certainly I have encountered few people as dogmatic as you.

Exactly the same? Of course not. The problem is the assumption that you're actually making it more difficult to obtain one and it's simply not true. Any time you make something illegal you increase its availability in the black market.

So you admit that the number would be lower. Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: 1 person

So you are saying it isn't possible to draw that correlation? I was just saying that one might, not that I did. I've read books on why New York has such a low crime rate and gun control doesn't usually play into anyone's discussion, but I'm sure that someone who wanted to could manipulate statistics to show that it does. I think having cameras in every cab in New York City does though and I don't like that idea either. I think G-Shock points out some stuff too although I wasn't aware that the crack epidemic had come to an end, but then what do I know? I live outside of Baltimore.

Personally I think everyone should be armed to the teeth. Then we can talk revolution! It'll be great. We can take over and then start a government that makes sense and isn't controlled by rich people wanting to get richer. We can get rid of all the redundant laws and stupid laws and make some laws that make sense. We can go back to the constitution and start over from there. I wonder how long it's going to take for the dept. of homeland security to get to my door now...send out a search party if you don't hear from me soon.

Last edited:
Personally I think everyone should be armed to the teeth. Then we can talk revolution! It'll be great. We can take over and then start a government that makes sense and isn't controlled by rich people wanting to get richer. We can get rid of all the redundant laws and stupid laws and make some laws that make sense. We can go back to the constitution and start over from there.

Yanks have already done this..

No one is talking about the possibility of "uninventing" guns or ridding the world completely of them. However, if guns are made less easily accessible, then the number of shootings will surely decrease.
Not "surely" because if the reduction in availability is limited to those who buy them legally and use them for self defense, that's fewer shootings that would be stopped by people carrying in self defense. In most cases where a concealed weapon stops a crime a shot is never fired, it's the threat that deters the crime.
Sure, maniacs who wish to get guns illegally will always be able to - I don't think any society will ever be able to rid itself completely of the occasional tragic mass murder spree such as that which inspired this thread. There is however a strong likelihood that there will be fewer one-off acts of violence caused by ordinarily law-abiding citizens, if guns were outlawed.
Those one off acts of violence caused by ordinarily law abiding citizens would not make up for the hundreds of thousands of crimes that are stopped every year by people who carry concealed.
It's the most obvious deadly weapon there is for those temporarily alienated by society, going through a difficult stretch in their life etc. to kill someone if things get a bit too tough for them to handle.
Making it also the most obvious and most effective way to defend yourself against people like that. If someone is going to kill someone banning guns isn't going to stop them from getting one. The availability would not be reduced in the first place.
Oh and by the way, I don't know why you argue in such an arrogant way, baldly stating "Incorrect" as if it were a fact that your opinion is the truth. It's probably because as a US marine, you love guns and think everyone should have one, and have difficulty accepting others' viewpoints. Certainly I have encountered few people as dogmatic as you.
Incorrect. I don't think you should have one.
Incorrect. I didn't say it would be lower.

No one is talking about the possibility of "uninventing" guns or ridding the world completely of them. However, if guns are made less easily accessible, then the number of shootings will surely decrease. Sure, maniacs who wish to get guns illegally will always be able to - I don't think any society will ever be able to rid itself completely of the occasional tragic mass murder spree such as that which inspired this thread. There is however a strong likelihood that there will be fewer one-off acts of violence caused by ordinarily law-abiding citizens, if guns were outlawed. It's the most obvious deadly weapon there is for those temporarily alienated by society, going through a difficult stretch in their life etc. to kill someone if things get a bit too tough for them to handle.

name a specific statistic you expect to be lower

Still, the fewer guns available in society, the fewer deaths/injuries from them there is likely to be.

Or are you saying that there would be exactly the same number of shootings no matter how easy it is to obtain a gun? I'm sure data could disprove that.

Crime is Crime, it does not matter if it's w/ a gun or a knife, or a stick. It just blows my mind that people think this is the answer. And like I said earlier, just because some one uses them for bad, does not mean that I can't own one.

Also if you could answer this one

If some one broke into your house and was about to cause harm to your family, would you like to have a shotgun full of buckshot, or some patchouli and a tree to hug?

I don't think he would have been able to get one legally here. He would likely not pass the mental health waiver submission.

have you ever taken the mental health waiver submission? i'd be interested to see what's on it... something tells me it probably isn't very difficult to pass.

Still, the fewer guns available in society, the fewer deaths/injuries from them there is likely to be.

Or are you saying that there would be exactly the same number of shootings no matter how easy it is to obtain a gun? I'm sure data could disprove that.

shootings my decrease but replica samurai sword attacks would increase. these swords typically don't kill people, just horribly maim them making them wish they were dead... then eventually the government would outlaw them too. that's when violent crime with axes will go on the rise...

well, if we use the UK as a case study anyways that's what happens.

From 1991 to 1995, crimes against the person in England's inner cities increased 91 percent. And in the four years from 1997 to 2001, the rate of violent crime more than doubled. Your chances of being mugged in London are now six times greater than in New York. England's rates of assault, robbery, and burglary are far higher than America's, and 53 percent of English burglaries occur while occupants are at home, compared with 13 percent in the U.S., where burglars admit to fearing armed homeowners more than the police. In a United Nations study of crime in 18 developed nations published in July, England and Wales led the Western world's crime league, with nearly 55 crimes per 100 people.

this guy is awesome :lol:

Sheriff: 'Maybe They Could Pass A Law That Would Require That Every Child Have An Uzi In Their Crib'

Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik has made some controversial comments in the wake of Saturday's shooting in his district. On Monday night, he was interviewed on "The CBS Evening News" with Katie Couric and defended his positions.

"If you are in law enforcement and you are not a right winger- you will get all kinds of heat from the right wing nuts," he told Couric.
Later in the interview, he took issue with laws that allow the carrying of concealed or non-concealed weapons at all times.

"That's the height of insanity," Dupnik said. "I don't know what else they can do. Maybe they could pass a law that would require that every child have an Uzi in their crib."

have you ever taken the mental health waiver submission? i'd be interested to see what's on it... something tells me it probably isn't very difficult to pass.

Yeah I've done it. It's a request form I filled out with the names of physicians and psychiatrists I've been to. I was told at the station that if I leave it with no names, I won't get the permit. When the state performs the background check on me, they check my patient file for information about my mental well-being: whether or not I've been diagnosed with depression or mental illness and what the current status of that ailment is.

In total it took me about 3 months to get my first pistol. I dragged my feet a little bit. The second and third were faster. You have to be really dedicated if you want a gun in this state.

Took me about 10 minutes to get my first. That was 10 minutes to run across the car park to the ATM and then back to where we were parked were I bought the gun from a guy who was about to sell it to a pawn shop.