Guitar Players, Recommend me something to start with.

VladTemplar

Flaccid Member
Oct 17, 2006
Marklar
₥0
So I'm looking into learning to play the guitar. I've always been fascinated by it, and I really want something musical as a hobby besides singing. Thing is, I don't know much about guitars. I tried doing some research online, but there's simply so much stuff that I get lost in it all?

What's a good starting guitar? I'm pretty sure I want to go acoustic, that way I don't have to mess with an amp. That being said, i don't know what else I need in the way of extra stings, how thick a normal guitar pick is (or what the difference is), how to properly tune a guitar, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

the pick is a personal preference. I'd start with a medium (not too flimsy, not to stiff) pick. I wouldn't buy any strings to begin with. They vary so much that you won't know what you will need for a while. Besides, strings are weird based on how you play, how much you play and the weather.

The info about tuning and that business is all over the net, but I suggest you buy a basic chord book. Much easier when it's all put together. Any place that will sell you a guitar will have one.

Don't buy online. Why? You won't be able to hold it and play with it. Plus, most stores are VERY helpful when it comes to instruments. The people working at music stores aren't doin' it for just a paycheck. The LOVE music and are musicians. They'll steer you towards something that will suit you best. Also, if something is wrong with your instrument, they can help take care of that too.

Yamaha makes a pretty good beginner acoustic guitar that is sub $200. Not enough to break the bank, but enough to know that you will be committed. :)

oh yeah, get a pitch pipe.

Don't go to cheap on a starter guitar if you are planning accoustic. If you buy cheap you are going to get a cheap sound. If you are planning electric you can get away with cheap because you tend to hide behind effects. You can get a lower level Ibanzez accoustic with a nice bright sound for fairly a decent price. I agree with Spange don't but online. Every accoustic is different in size, shape, and wood type. All of these attributes will directly affect the sound you will receive. Go to a shop and take your time. Look around and feel what is comfortable for you.

Last edited:
Then again you could always go with a keytar.

Keytar.jpg

Some people would recommend starting with a nice low end or used electric rather than an acoustic. An electric is a lot more forgiving and easier to play; thus it is a lot less discouraging for a beginner. Acoustics usually have higher action, require a lot more precise and firm movements or else you will be hearing a lot of buzzing. Of course from the other end of the spectrum, if you learn on an acoustic then any electric will be a breeze to play later on.

Yamaha has a good starter acoustic, but I would suggest just going in to a music shop and playing around on a few floor models to see what feels right in your price range. For 300-350ish bucks you can get a decent low end electric and amp plus tuner, cords, and a case. Fender Mex Strats are good starters, or even cheaper would be the Squire line...but they tend to sound like shit. My first amp was a fender frontman for 100 bucks. Small, portable, and decent sound...but not magnificent by any means. Again, just hit up the music shop and try a few things out to see what feels good and what you like. Music shops are a fun place to shop around

Last edited:
Some people would recommend starting with a nice low end or used electric rather than an acoustic. An electric is a lot more forgiving and easier to play; thus it is a lot less discouraging for a beginner. Acoustics usually have higher action, require a lot more precise and firm movements or else you will be hearing a lot of buzzing. Of course from the other end of the spectrum, if you learn on an acoustic then any electric will be a breeze to play later on.

Yamaha has a good starter acoustic, but I would suggest just going in to a music shop and playing around on a few floor models to see what feels right in your price range. For 300-350ish bucks you can get a decent low end electric and amp plus tuner, cords, and a case. Fender Mex Strats are good starters, or even cheaper would be the Squire line...but they tend to sound like shit. My first amp was a fender frontman for 100 bucks. Small, portable, and decent sound...but not magnificent by any means. Again, just hit up the music shop and try a few things out to see what feels good and what you like. Music shops are a fun place to shop around

I'm surprised you didn't recommend your Mr. Potato brand guitar.

I'm surprised you didn't recommend your Mr. Potato brand guitar.

Price was the reason. Shipping one of those from Korea would be a total headache and costly. The costs would kill any value there. I was lucky enough to have a friend who was stationed in Korea to bring it home to me on his leave time.

Next time you are in Savannah, you and bast bring over your guitar hero controllers and I'll rock out the potato. It'll be so white and nerdy blondie will faint.

Last edited:
I learned to play on an electric. It was good and bad. The good was it was cheap, I could practice without bugging a lot of people (headphones or unplugged), and the lower action (ie the strings are closer to the fret board) makes it somewhat easier to play.

The bad was that I don't think it helps develop your ear at all. You learn to play mechanically instead of more musically. I couldn't tune the damn thing without an electric tuner and I couldn't play without watching my hand 90% of the time. I was memorizing hand movements instead of more music theory, mainly because I had to play most of the time with the headphones on or no amp at all. When I tried to play along with others, I found I was frequently flat or couldn't do simple things play a half step off from a lead. It wasn't till I took a class called "The Physics of Music" that I even began to understand any of this and realized what my problem was. When I tried out some of the stuff I was learning, I could actually hear what they were talking about (finally) and started to "get it". But by then I had lost interest and wasn't really playing much anymore.

So, I'd say if you just want to figure out how to play a couple tunes to impress girls, get an electric. If you want to really learn to play, get an acoustic. It will be harder, but it will probably be worth it in the long run.

So, I'd say if you just want to figure out how to play a couple tunes to impress girls, get an electric. If you want to really learn to play, get an acoustic. It will be harder, but it will probably be worth it in the long run.

Well I don't care too much about the former, and I've got the time to sit down and practice at it.

I just have to make myself do it.

Well I don't care too much about the former, and I've got the time to sit down and practice at it.

I just have to make myself do it.

If you have time and money for it, formal lessons are a big help from day one. Otherwise it is easy to develop bad habits and techniques. It's harder to cure a bad habit than to prevent one.

Edit: also, formal lessons teach you how to practice

Last edited:
Well, everyone else said what I was thinking. Lessons are a plus, acoustic is the way to go -learn the hard way, then switch to electric if you desire, and if you have small fingers like I do, the strings used for a 12 string guitar are smaller and easier to play with. If you want the best of both worlds, get an acoustic/electric. Mine cost me @ $350.

Well, everyone else said what I was thinking. Lessons are a plus, acoustic is the way to go -learn the hard way, then switch to electric if you desire, and if you have small fingers like I do, the strings used for a 12 string guitar are smaller and easier to play with. If you want the best of both worlds, get an acoustic/electric. Mine cost me @ $350.

that's the biggest problem i ran into...i have very small fingers and the strings on my learning guitar were very far away from the neck.