GTA Made Me Psycho MAN!

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥20,457
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,215792,00.html

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Family members of three people slain by a 14-year-old on newsman Sam Donaldson's New Mexico ranch sued the makers of the video game "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" on Monday, claiming the crimes would not have occurred had the teenager never played the violent game.

The $600 million lawsuit names several companies and Cody Posey, who it alleges played the game "obsessively" for several months before he shot his father, stepmother and stepsister in July 2004. Posey, now 16, was sentenced earlier this year to state custody until he is 21.

The games and others in the "Grand Theft Auto" series depict police killings and other acts of violence. The lawsuit calls various editions of the game "virtual reality murder simulators."

"But for Posey's use of these products ... he would not have killed," the lawsuit claims.

The game trained him "how to point and shoot a gun in a fashion making him an extraordinarily effective killer without teaching him any of the constraints or responsibilities needed to inhibit such a killing capacity," according to the suit.

According to the suit, plaintiffs' lawyer Jack Thompson was told by a sheriff's deputy that the game and a Sony PlayStation 2 were found at the ranch.

Posey had told police he shot his family after his father, the ranch foreman, slapped him for not cleaning horse stalls fast enough. Prosecutors described Posey as a ruthless killer, but his lawyers claimed his father had abused him for years.

The plaintiffs accuse the corporate defendants — Sony Corporation of America, Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. and its subsidiary, Rockstar Games — of a "civil conspiracy," saying they should have foreseen their entertainment "would spawn such copycat violence."

"We believe the suit is without merit and we will strongly defend the company," Take-Two spokesman Jim Ankner said.

The Associated Press left a message Monday at Sony's New York headquarters seeking comment.

The lawsuit was filed by Verlin Posey of Texline, Texas, representing the estate of the teen's father, Delbert Posey; and Pat and Leona Basham of Elephant Butte, parents of Tryone Posey and grandparents of Marilea Schmid.

Thompson also is the attorney in a $600 million Alabama lawsuit against Rockstar, Take-Two and Sony that blames "Grand Theft Auto" for the 2003 murders of two police officers and a dispatcher at a rural police department. Devin Moore, now 20, was convicted of murder and sentenced to death in that case.

I know with all the time I've spent on the computer using a mouse and keyboard that my ability to shoot as gun has definitely improved.

I can't wait for the day that people start taking responsibility for their actions again. Yes it is sad that the 14 year old killed three people and he should be dealt with accordingly, but the family of the deceased shouldn't get millions of dollars from a video game company because of it.

So now we combine our two favourite topics here, gun rights AND free speech. Not to mention nanny state justice.

Its never bad parenting if you have no clue your kid is going to shoot up a mall or just randomly kill a bunch of people. I mean how would you know as a parent that has been raising this child for umpteen years that he is nuts. I mean you have only spent every day of his waking life with him teaching him "moral" values...

/sarcasm

ITS NOT BAD PARENTING

I agree with this statement. My mom was a good parent. I turned out well I think, and so did another of my brothers. But my other brother didn't turn out so well. Back in my teens my brother was supposed to go the junior high i was going to, which was in another school district. My mom for some reason didn't like the idea and thought it would be easier for him to go to the one closest to home. I told her that school had the worst reputation of all the highschools and the one i was at had one of the best. Still determined that it would be easier, she had him go there anyway. Well, sure enough it wasn't long before he was smoking and doing drugs and getting into fights. Our house got broken into by the people he had made friends with and he would get into fights with mom and his school grades went waaaay downhill. Alot of who people become depends on the people they hang out with from what i've observed.

I agree with this statement. My mom was a good parent. I turned out well I think, and so did another of my brothers. But my other brother didn't turn out so well. Back in my teens my brother was supposed to go the junior high i was going to, which was in another school district. My mom for some reason didn't like the idea and thought it would be easier for him to go to the one closest to home. I told her that school had the worst reputation of all the highschools and the one i was at had one of the best. Still determined that it would be easier, she had him go there anyway. Well, sure enough it wasn't long before he was smoking and doing drugs and getting into fights. Our house got broken into by the people he had made friends with and he would get into fights with mom and his school grades went waaaay downhill. Alot of who people become depends on the people they hang out with from what i've observed.

So wait, how is that not bad parenting?

Its just like how people tried to blame columbine on eric and dylan playing the game doom. A video game isnt going to make you commit a crime, your already pretty messed up in the head.

Its just like how people tried to blame columbine on eric and dylan playing the game doom. A video game isnt going to make you commit a crime, your already pretty messed up in the head.

These are the same people who will probably be suing the gun makers next. They don't care about common sense, only money.