Growing up with or without siblings?

eileenbunny said:
I have one sister who is two years older than me. IBWIP is an only child. We are both spoiled rotten, but I think it is important to have siblings. I don't think we will really decide how many children to have until after we have our first. I personally hope for 2 or 3 children, but he wants just one. I love my sister and I think that having a close family is really special. My sister is the only person who knows all my secrets and has shared my entire past with me. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

I guess we should have several children in hopes that at least one of the ungrateful bastards will care for us in our old age.

Fat Burger said:
Anyway, it's certainly quite different. The most common difference with only kids is that they're spoiled, and sometimes have lifelong bad habits because of it.
I kinda disagree with you. That's a huge misconception with being an only child. I had people say to me all the time "OMG you're an only child? You must be so spoiled?!?!?!?!" Well no, not really. I mean, my parents cared for me, I always had cloths to wear and food to eat, and toys to play with (do you consider your child's well being as spoiled rotten?) It was very rare that if I didn't get something I wanted I would act up because of it (I did it once and learned my lesson). They didn't buy me everything and anything I wanted. I got a job as soon as I was old enough, they didn't buy me a car when I turned 16- I got their shitty old one.

My point being, not all only children are spoiled rotten brats. As like anything in life, there are a few out there who ruin it for the rest of it. If anything, I'm more spoiled now then I ever was as a young child.

I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I have an extremely close relationship with my parents and I've very greateful for it.
Being with FB and getting to know his family, has made me even happier that I had no sibblings. Being the youngest of 3 kids, by the time we got married
(or even when we have kids) it's very much the feeling of "been there THREE TIMES done that..."

His parents hardly know him or have time for him. Just really different from my family. My parents know me very well. You can ask them anything (my fav band, shows, movies etc... ) and they know. Josh's family on the other side, (from an outsider looking in) don't really know him.

Im torn also whether or not I want 1 or 2 kids. Most likely we will have 2. I guess it depends on how we feel after the first one.
But seriously, I'm an only child and I turned out fine :heart:

*Fuxx Burger* said:
I kinda disagree with you. That's a huge misconception with being an only child. I had people say to me all the time "OMG you're an only child? You must be so spoiled?!?!?!?!" Well no, not really. I mean, my parents cared for me, I always had cloths to wear and food to eat, and toys to play with (do you consider your child's well being as spoiled rotten?) It was very rare that if I didn't get something I wanted I would act up because of it (I did it once and learned my lesson). They didn't buy me everything and anything I wanted. I got a job as soon as I was old enough, they didn't buy me a car when I turned 16- I got their shitty old one.

My point being, not all only children are spoiled rotten brats. As like anything in life, there are a few out there who ruin it for the rest of it. If anything, I'm more spoiled now then I ever was as a young child.

I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I have an extremely close relationship with my parents and I've very greateful for it.
Being with FB and getting to know his family, has made me even happier that I had no sibblings. Being the youngest of 3 kids, by the time we got married
(or even when we have kids) it's very much the feeling of "been there THREE TIMES done that..."

His parents hardly know him or have time for him. Just really different from my family. My parents know me very well. You can ask them anything (my fav band, shows, movies etc... ) and they know. Josh's family on the other side, (from an outsider looking in) don't really know him.

Im torn also whether or not I want 1 or 2 kids. Most likely we will have 2. I guess it depends on how we feel after the first one.
But seriously, I'm an only child and I turned out fine :heart:
I had a similar upbringing, my parents didn't give me a car at all - and I certainly didn't get near the amount of toys that many of my friends had.

My dad spoiled himself rotten instead :fly:

I have a younger sister (by 7 years) and a brother 5 years younger. Because of the age difference we never had a relationship until now. My sister is by the far best friend I have, and ever will have.

Shawn and I want babies and when we take that step we are going to have two, within a year or two of each other.

Obviously there are many positive and negative experiences out there for both sides of this argument. I think the only way to make a decision is to sit down with your wife and have a very serious dicsussion about what the two of you want your family to be.

kiwi said:
Obviously there are many positive and negative experiences out there for both sides of this argument. I think the only way to make a decision is to sit down with your wife and have a very serious dicsussion about what the two of you want your family to be.

Or have unprotected sex until things work themselves out naturally.

Fat Burger said:
"Most common"
You're not actually disagreeing with me, you just didn't read what I typed :p
And don't make me remind you of all the times you've said "I'll gladly admit I was a spoiled brat" :D
oh dang!

:egads: