Growing up with or without siblings?

I would like for Ethan to have a sibling, I just have to find a suitable vagina to put my pecker in. And I think we all know how much I'm looking forward to that.

elpmis said:
in before Pandora recommends you stfu and buy a puppy
Puppies are just as bad as babies.

I have 5 brothers. I grew up with 2 of them, and then at 16 moved in with the other 3. I'm closer now to the younger 3 than the 2 I grew up with. It's weird.

I like having a lot of brothers, but I don't think my idea of brothers is the same as anyone else's.. because I'm the maternal type of the family. Since our families were so screwed up, the bulk of the caretaking was laid upon my shoulders so my brothers all consider me the "other mom" and even now say I've been more of a mom to them in their lives than their own. *shrug*

I just got a puppy and I think that's a lot of work, I dunno about that whole baby thing... and then doing it more than once? Not only is it a matter of dividing one's time, but also resources. I mean that's college tuition, weddings, proms, homecomings, and everything else that comes with being a kid.

I'm totally split on the issue... but I don't think a big family is for me. Maybe one.

kiwi said:
You figure things out. Technincally I'm sure most of you would think that we couldn't even afford Haylee, but we've figured things out and are doing just fine. Granted we don't plan on having a large family (5 or more kids) like our parents just cause it isn't as easy to have large families as it was 30 years ago with the cost of housing and the size of vehicle you need (as two major points, there are more), it's more due to the desire to only have about 3 kids.

I definitely agree having siblings is nice. My closest sister was always a best friend growing up and now that we are all getting older we do things together all the time and my sisters are some of my best friends. I know I can always count on them and vice versa.

how can i figure something out when i'm given limited information about your current financial state

KNYTE said:
I've never really understood that arguement myself.
what part of that simple statement don't you understand?

i'm simply asking if the potentianl parents have a stable financial futre and can afford rasing 2 kids rather than affording to take care of one child.

Onnotangu said:
how can i figure something out when i'm given limited information about your current financial state

I was simply stating you figure things out. I quit working when we had Haylee so our income was cut dramatically, there were some months I wasn't sure how we got through, but we did. I personally don't think that if the desire to have more children is there, that you should let worries of money stand in the way. On the flip side, you shouldn't have kids or tons of kids simply cause you can afford them, you truly need to have the desire to raise those children first.

Through a bizarre combination of marriages I wound up being the oldest of 7. I have one full sister, three half sisters and two step sisters, all younger than I am. The steps were full growed by the time my father married their mother (I was his best man for that, talk about wierd) so we never really bonded. I was in the hospital for the birth of the rest of them, and have watched over them their whole lives.

I come from a fairly large family, we have a 'reunion' every year on my great grandmother's birthday. Average attendance for the last 5 years is around 110 people. Most of my 1st cousins grew up in the area so there was always someone to play with.

Yeah, I grew up with siblings and I hope my children (if they ever show up) will do the same. 90% of my social skills and abilities started with my family, and I wouldn't be half the person I am today without them.

Fuxx doesn't have any siblings, or any cousins really. I have three older sisters, and way too many cousins (that I never see, thankfully).

It's been really interesting learning about the differences between us because of that, things that you'd never think of. She's learning to share, and I'm...well, I'm a guy, so I don't learn new things.

Anyway, it's certainly quite different. The most common difference with only kids is that they're spoiled, and sometimes have lifelong bad habits because of it. Too many kids, and you usually don't have a real close relationship with your parents, which can lead to problems of its own.

2 or 3 kids is I think most commonly the best, but it really depends on your style of parenting, too.

i'm the oldest of four and can't imagine my life without sibs.

spange and i are torn on this very subject. i just can't see spangelet having to go through life without siblings. there's nothing like them -- not even your closest friend.

we also don't have money, but i refuse to let that get in the way of a family. spangelet is now 2 1/2, and by the time you factor in nine months, it's almost too late to offer a sibling IN MY OPINION, FOR US. the way i see it? we still have options. i can go back to work. we can cut cable modem and cell phones. we can move to a smaller house. WE STILL HAVE OPTIONS. if we didn't, i wouldn't be comfortable adding another one.

on the other hand, spangelet is truly the easiest, smartest, best tempered kid ever, and i can't imagine someone else coming in and being comprabable. i'm scared i'd constantly compare them, even though i know that's not fair. being fair and being honest aren't the same sometimes.
we could totally focus on spangelet financially and by way of time and attention. do i want to add another to the mix?

but my heart says yes, and i can't ignore that, even as much as i've tried. i want to make spangelet the happiest i can, and that includes giving her a sibling. her type personality should be rewarded by being a big sister. so there you have it.

HydroSqueegee said:
I just dont want to wait too long since the age gap can alienate them from eachother.

I don't necessarily agree with this. My older brother and I were 5 year apart. We did the normal brother and siter fighting but a re closer now that we are older. My younger brother is 10 years younger than me (15 years younger than my big bro) and we are very close. He was my baby doll and still is. I think it may have to do more with the sex mix and order. But then again I am the middle child...

I'd like to have more than one child. Only children get spoiled. Look at Bast :fly:

JJ Lady said:
I don't necessarily agree with this. My older brother and I were 5 year apart. We did the normal brother and siter fighting but a re closer now that we are older. My younger brother is 10 years younger than me (15 years younger than my big bro) and we are very close. He was my baby doll and still is. I think it may have to do more with the sex mix and order. But then again I am the middle child...

I'd like to have more than one child. Only children get spoiled. Look at Bast :fly:

and to add to this argument, my sister is only 15 months older than me and I think she is a total bitch. So being close in age doesn't always mean being close in relationship.

I have 2 siblings. My sister is awesome and is currently lecturing in Argentina and my brothers just a ballsack.

It was a positive experience however. I may be biased though, as I was the youngest and favored the most.

ERage said:
and to add to this argument, my sister is only 15 months older than me and I think she is a total bitch. So being close in age doesn't always mean being close in relationship.

Truth.

I have one sister who is two years older than me. IBWIP is an only child. We are both spoiled rotten, but I think it is important to have siblings. I don't think we will really decide how many children to have until after we have our first. I personally hope for 2 or 3 children, but he wants just one. I love my sister and I think that having a close family is really special. My sister is the only person who knows all my secrets and has shared my entire past with me. I wouldn't trade that for anything.