Growing up with or without siblings?

HydroSqueegee

Flaccid Member
Nov 15, 2004
Marklar
₥0
So Hifi and I were talking about children the other day and we seem to be torn about having more than one child. She grew up an only child and didnt mind not having a sibling because she had cousins to play with. I grew up with a sister and we only had eachother to play with most of the time since we were military and either our friends or we moved away fairly often.
I just cant see not having more than one child, but its so damn hard on raising them when they're young. I feel like im being selfish for even thinking about not having another kid since my free time is scarce and i yearn for even an hour to do something that entertains me.
So I ask a question of you fine forum goers. What was your childhood like? Only child? Multiple Siblings? What are your views on how many children you would like to have and how did the siblings, or lack there of, affect your childhood.

I grew up with sisters and so did my wife so we will probably have another kid so my son has a sibling. So when we pass on he will have someone else in this world with him.

Both Kiwi and I grew up in a large family (6 kids) and are both happy we did, but we only plan to have 3 kids. My personal preference would be to have more than one, because you will get more of the positive experiences that come from having children.

And I agree with B_sinning about it being nice having family to connect with after your parents have passed on.

I have one sibling (sister) and we can only stand each other for short durations. Our problem was the age difference. We are five years and three months apart. The gap was just too big! I liked dolls, she laid in a crib. She liked dolls, I liked boys. She liked boys, I was already in college. We just never bonded with each other.

I grew up with my sister, and now that I've been away I've never really thought about my childhood that much. I don't think that it matters one way or the other, it depend more if you live in an area with children the same age, if the kid is social, and how good of a parent you end up being.

Onnotangu said:
thing is can you afford another kid?

You figure things out. Technincally I'm sure most of you would think that we couldn't even afford Haylee, but we've figured things out and are doing just fine. Granted we don't plan on having a large family (5 or more kids) like our parents just cause it isn't as easy to have large families as it was 30 years ago with the cost of housing and the size of vehicle you need (as two major points, there are more), it's more due to the desire to only have about 3 kids.

I definitely agree having siblings is nice. My closest sister was always a best friend growing up and now that we are all getting older we do things together all the time and my sisters are some of my best friends. I know I can always count on them and vice versa.

djduquet said:
I grew up with my sister, and now that I've been away I've never really thought about my childhood that much. I don't think that it matters one way or the other, it depend more if you live in an area with children the same age, if the kid is social, and how good of a parent you end up being.
you cant be in my wifes family and not be social. its almost forced upon you. I grew up with just my direct family. From age 8 and up, we lived out in BFE. Miles away from all the kids i went to school with. At about 10, all the kids my age in our housing are (tons of them) started to move away. I kept growing and the kids moving in just kept getting younger. I was left with one friend in the neighborhood, but once highschool hit, he went off to a catholic school, hung out with different people, and we drifted apart. then he moved. My sister was caught up in her own life and i just sat alone in my room playing video games.
But I fear not for my child. He will have lots of friends growing up. Our small clique of friends are having kids now. One just born and another just down the road. All will probably have multiple kids.
I just dont want to wait too long since the age gap can alienate them from eachother.

HydroSqueegee said:
you cant be in my wifes family and not be social. its almost forced upon you. I grew up with just my direct family. From age 8 and up, we lived out in BFE. Miles away from all the kids i went to school with. At about 10, all the kids my age in our housing are (tons of them) started to move away. I kept growing and the kids moving in just kept getting younger. I was left with one friend in the neighborhood, but once highschool hit, he went off to a catholic school, hung out with different people, and we drifted apart. then he moved. My sister was caught up in her own life and i just sat alone in my room playing video games.
But I fear not for my child. He will have lots of friends growing up. Our small clique of friends are having kids now. One just born and another just down the road. All will probably have multiple kids.
I just dont want to wait too long since the age gap can alienate them from eachother.

Have another one, all the cool kids are doing it. :fly:

kiwi said:
You figure things out. Technincally I'm sure most of you would think that we couldn't even afford Haylee, but we've figured things out and are doing just fine. Granted we don't plan on having a large family (5 or more kids) like our parents just cause it isn't as easy to have large families as it was 30 years ago with the cost of housing and the size of vehicle you need (as two major points, there are more), it's more due to the desire to only have about 3 kids.

I definitely agree having siblings is nice. My closest sister was always a best friend growing up and now that we are all getting older we do things together all the time and my sisters are some of my best friends. I know I can always count on them and vice versa.
Tell us more about your younger sister

Had a younger bro and sis... we are all three years apart from each other. (23, 20, 17) I was the oldest and did not get along with my sister - I think it was because we were too close in age. I got along with my younger brother fine tho.

April23 said:
Had a younger bro and sis... we are all three years apart from each other. (23, 20, 17) I was the oldest and did not get along with my sister - I think it was because we were too close in age. I got along with my younger brother fine tho.

You had a younger bro and sis? Are they older than you now? :fly: