Graduate School Intarviews

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
So in case anyone cares I've been trying to get accepted into the MBA program at GA Tech for admission into the Fall '08 term.

Finally I heard back today that they would like to set up an interview next week. I guess that is a good sign...anything other than a denial letter is a good sign.

I humbly request from those of you who have been through the admissions process for a graduate program, what was the interview like? What kind of questions were you asked? Is it mostly a deal where they are trying to get a feel for your goals and of the kind of person you are, or are they sizing up your academic abilities at the same time?

Thanks guys, the interview will be next week, wish me luck!

So in case anyone cares I've been trying to get accepted into the MBA program at GA Tech for admission into the Fall '08 term.

Finally I heard back today that they would like to set up an interview next week. I guess that is a good sign...anything other than a denial letter is a good sign.

I humbly request from those of you who have been through the admissions process for a graduate program, what was the interview like? What kind of questions were you asked? Is it mostly a deal where they are trying to get a feel for your goals and of the kind of person you are, or are they sizing up your academic abilities at the same time?

Thanks guys, the interview will be next week, wish me luck!

The biggest interview tip that I have is to make sure that you wrap up any questions that they may have BEFORE you leave. There's no graceful way of saying it but in general say, "Is there anything that you feel that I am lacking to receive this opportunity?" If there are any issues then you can face them then and there.

I'm working on my second graduate degree, but I didn't have to do interviews for admission to either one. I think the most important qualification was my ability to pay the tuition.

My wife had to do an interview to get into her MBA program, and she was told they asked her because they have to interview a certain number of applicants for some ranking/accredation type thing. She said it was a breeze. They more or less just wanted to see that she would be able to play well with others. It was the sort of interview that wouldn't help her get into the program but it could have removed her from consideration if you know what I mean.

All I did was act like a normal person. The only thing I sort of regret saying was when the director asked me where I saw myself in 10 years.

I told him that he won't be working forever and that his desk looked really comfortable. I got in, though, so I guess it didn't go that bad.

Just remember that their primary focus is for you to be as successful in their program as possible. You will be probably be doing work that will bear both your name and theirs. Plus, it's necessary for them to have students they can be proud of who will represent them and their program well.

Just be cool.

Assertive>Aggressive

Personality goes a long way. Work on your body language.

Maintain eye contact and a small smile that says you know something they don't know but if they are nice you will share it.

Personality goes a long way. Work on your body language.

Maintain eye contact and a small smile that says you know something they don't know but if they are nice you will share it.

he's got that down. you're automatically comfortable with erage. :heart:

good luck!! let me know when i can hook you up with a couple of realtors. :fly:

The biggest interview tip that I have is to make sure that you wrap up any questions that they may have BEFORE you leave. There's no graceful way of saying it but in general say, "Is there anything that you feel that I am lacking to receive this opportunity?" If there are any issues then you can face them then and there.

Good Idea, I'll keep that in mind.

I'm working on my second graduate degree, but I didn't have to do interviews for admission to either one. I think the most important qualification was my ability to pay the tuition.

My wife had to do an interview to get into her MBA program, and she was told they asked her because they have to interview a certain number of applicants for some ranking/accredation type thing. She said it was a breeze. They more or less just wanted to see that she would be able to play well with others. It was the sort of interview that wouldn't help her get into the program but it could have removed her from consideration if you know what I mean.

I'm hoping that being on the short list means that I'm all but in, however this is a top 25 program so I'm pretty sure they are selective. This late in the admissions process I'm thinking that there aren't too many seats left. I assume they are just trying to get an idea of who I am, what I'm about, and whether or not I seem like a likely candidate to complete the program.

he's got that down. you're automatically comfortable with erage. :heart:

good luck!! let me know when i can hook you up with a couple of realtors. :fly:

Thanks for the good faith. I'm hoping this goes well because we are so ready to move.

All I did was act like a normal person. The only thing I sort of regret saying was when the director asked me where I saw myself in 10 years.

I told him that he won't be working forever and that his desk looked really comfortable. I got in, though, so I guess it didn't go that bad.

Just remember that their primary focus is for you to be as successful in their program as possible. You will be probably be doing work that will bear both your name and theirs. Plus, it's necessary for them to have students they can be proud of who will represent them and their program well.

Just be cool.

Assertive>Aggressive

:lol: yet another example of mr. david being obnoxious under the guise of "charming"... .;)

So I interviewed last Thursday with the Director of MBA admissions at GA Tech's college of mgmt. Awesome lady, great interview skills. She totally kept an informal approach, no formulaic questioning. I really got the sense that she was just trying to get a feel for who I was, what I was about, and what my goals were. She gave me the usual rundown like you would expect in any interview and all in all it was a good experience. She said I would likely know the decision in about 3 weeks.

Well, just today I was logging in to see if there was any status update. There is still no admissions decision rendered yet...but for some reason somebody in IT created me a campus login name and email account that hasn't been there for the last 2 months.

Is this a good sign that I'm in and IT just is a lot quicker with processing than the Admissions people? I sure hope so!

Hope you're right. Congratulations on getting in. (though I'm knocking on wood so as to not tempt fate etc. etc.)

Just to update you guys, I got my admissions decision this weekend and it was not as I hoped. No go on the full time MBA program at GA Tech. After I received the decision and had a chat with the director of admissions for the program, it turns out that they don't feel that me going to school with them full time and keeping a full time job as a telecommuter with my current institution is a formula that is likely to succeed.

I worried that might be the case before I interviewed but when they asked me direct questions regarding my current job and what I planned to do with it I couldn't bring myself to fib. Besides we all work with the same people in the USG system so word would have gotten around and then I'd be dealing with integrity issues.

On the upside, I've gotten an indication that if I reapply for admission into the Spring semester for the evening MBA program, I will likely gain acceptance due to the fact that it is designed more for working professionals and would apparently fit my needs a little better. the downside is that it could take up to 3 or 3.5 years to complete.

We'll see.

So for now I'm looking to apply to UGA's evening MBA at their Buckhead campus, GA Tech's evening MBA on their main campus, and GA State's full time program on their main campus.

Let's see what happens.

Thanks for the good vibes for those of you who posted them. I'll update you all as i hear more over the next month or 2.

Either way, I will have to be living in ATL by next spring or I might end up divorced. Blondie is ready to blow this pop stand so for better or worse, we'll be moving.

bummer dude

well, yes and no. GA Tech's MBA has always been known for admitting students who will best add to their MBA experience and also who will benefit most from their MBA experience.

They were honest in saying that they thought it would be too much work to carry the job and their full time program...they would know better than I would how much work their program really requires.

If I get in the evening program it will be more paced and still allow me to keep my job, which is vital for my personal situation.

So, all in all, it will probably work out for the best. I'd rather do an evening MBA and complete than bomb out of the full time or lose my job from being over worked.

Besides, the evening program bestows the same degree as the full time...so it's all good :D