Grad School

Employers are looking for Masters, PhD, Doctorates yadda yadda... they see bachelors and think.. "meh"

That's every field.
Eh, just saying. I've been in charge of people with M.A.s and I dont even have an "official" HS transcript, of course they were Philosophy and Music but still!

Job experience looks a lot better than anything else.

Eh, just saying. I've been in charge of people with M.A.s and I dont even have an "official" HS transcript, of course they were Philosophy and Music but still!

Job experience looks a lot better than anything else.

That's not always true either. In my line of work I could have all the experience in the world and they would hire a masters over me.

Why?

Because it feels "safer" to a company to hire someone that has the document to prove what they can do other than just believing what I'm telling them.

Hence why I am back in school. Only going for that god damned document.

That's not always true either. In my line of work I could have all the experience in the world and they would hire a masters over me.

Why?

Because it feels "safer" to a company to hire someone that has the document to prove what they can do other than just believing what I'm telling them.

Hence why I am back in school. Only going for that god damned document.
Ah, I thought you were going for undergrad. This explains much.

You do know you could probably earn as much with a trade? :lol:

Why not psychiatry? keke

Edit: Also accusing everyone of needing a post-grad degree to get a job is inherently unfair. Just because you picked a psuedo science of questionable integrity doesnt mean that everyone needs one :p

Getting an MD is unnecessary and inefficient for what I want to do. I thought about doing it just for money, but if I was going to go that route I'd just get an engineering degree -- spend a lot less time in school, and I think I'd enjoy it more than psychiatry.

I think I'll suffer from A-Rod Syndrome at some point anyway. That is to say, if I'm fully employed with a PHD in psychology, plus the money from spending less time in school than for a real training in psychiatry, the difference remaining in possible income hikes really isn't going to make that big of an impact on my life. Especially if I marry a woman who works as well ... which I'd like to do, at least part time or reduced time. That way we can provide more for our kids and not be a burden on them later in life. Although that would have to be balanced with ability to spend time with them ...

That's the other nice thing about psychology: it's not a 9-to-5 5/week 48/year for 40 years job. So when I have kids I might be able to cut back on work some and spend time with them.

Yeah! Accounting! It's... practical!

745fb3bdfee603.gif

Deciding about grad school is tough. I nearly went to the Uni of Colorado to get my PhD in Toxicology. Couldn't bring myself to agree to go once they accepted me. They were offering 23k a year stipend, but doing basic science research and begging for grant money for the next 40+ years of my life didnt look that appealing. I already had a PharmD and decided just being a pharmacist was a better route.

As for advice, i would just make sure you have a plan (which is sounds like you do). Grad school can be expensive if you dont do it the right way, but post-graduate degrees are cool =P I still kinda wish i was working for my PhD, but only because it'd be cool to have...

Jason