Grad School

Wren

Flaccid Member
Oct 16, 2006
Marklar
₥0
And so it begins.

64745fa4af80d4f5.jpg

I learned my lesson with undergrad and I'm going to be more on top of things this time around. I got into a good school mostly but shotgunning all the public colleges in the state, and getting lucky that a few of them don't suck. Or do I really not want to be here, but I already blew my undergrad academic load at the place so I repress my true feelings and justify the surrogate ones imposed by the superego? :p No really though. I got lucky once, I'm not counting on it again.

Fortunately I also could have a second run at it. I plan to graduate at the end of next year, which will be my third. If I don't get in anywhere, I could just put a hold on graduating and take more classes for a year, do more research, retake the GRE, and re-apply.

Siderant: I also went to a wedding for a friend that I went to highschool with. MY FRIENDS ARE GETTING MARRIED. I'M OLD. Another friend of mine got gout his foot, so I've been walking around with A GUY USING A CANE. AND I CAN'T EVEN GET A DRINK IN A BAR YET! :mad: My back hurts ...

Any of you been to grad school? Anything you wish someone had told you?

Train wreck.

Never been to grad school, but I plan to eventually. I was told by my last prof to make sure I don't pay for it. I think that's good advice. That only works if you enter the workforce first though, and get your employer to pay. If you're going straight from undergrad to grad you're SOL.

So what are you going to do with that psychology degree?

Get a PHD, do whatever combination of the following 3 that allows me to fill a good work schedule and pay the bills: teach, clinical work, and testing.

I'm taking a course-load over the summer to explore the various options in clinical work. Working with kids is a good option, males are always needed in that area -- many of the child clinicians I've met told me they want my card when I get a PHD because a lot of boys just need to have another male for a therapist, and they don't know many. Maybe just specialize in cognitive behavioral therapy ... They always have a lot of clients because insurance in most places will actually pay for it :D I dunno, I'm not quite to that point yet.

Teaching would be cool. I'd enjoy being a professor at a decent college, finding a nitch course or two and being in with the newbs in the profession. I don't want to be a full-time professor, though.

Testing means like giving people IQ tests, rorschachs (colloquially: ink blot), MMPI (gives various scales for types of psychopathy, often used for courts), etc. Several of the ones for kids sound fun, like House Tree Person. It's done with a big piece of paper and crayons. One way or another though, the laws require people that give these tests to have PHDs and many of the PHDs hate it so it's good money.

And yes, I'm quite aware of the subtext that if I don't get into some kind of postgrad I'll end up waiting tables or working in something like HR ... :(

Why not psychiatry? keke

Edit: Also accusing everyone of needing a post-grad degree to get a job is inherently unfair. Just because you picked a psuedo science of questionable integrity doesnt mean that everyone needs one :p

Last edited:
psych majors know that in order to do anything in pyschology, you HAVE to go beyond just getting a degree in psych. the only thing you do with a pysch degree is go on to more school so you can have a job. this is the reason i didn't go into psychology. :fly:

Why not psychiatry? keke

Edit: Also accusing everyone of needing a post-grad degree to get a job is inherently unfair. Just because you picked a psuedo science of questionable integrity doesnt mean that everyone needs one :p

Undergrad degrees are equivalent to high school diplomas these days.