Grad school?

ChikkenNoodul said:
A 'Masters' degree or 'Master of Arts'

Traditionally a 2 year program at brick-and-mortar universities that you take after your 4 year 'Bachelors' degree

There are plenty of accelerated and decelerated programs online and in person for night/part-time students.
You can only do Medicine in the US as a grad subject, right?

Your whole academic life from the age of 5 onward determines whether or not you go on to study Medicine here. It's post-grad too, but still 5 years whatever way you look at it. After that it's a residency.

I know everyone is all gung ho about go for it, but

1. Do you know what you want to get the degree in?

2. Do you think you can handle two full time jobs (work & grad school)?

If you said yes, then this is a badass deal. Go for it.

If you answered no to either, don't do it.

theacoustician said:

I wasn't gung ho, all you can see is fuckers with MA's in Business Studies or Marketing. Do something that's not going to get you a job in a call centre.

Galen said:
You can only do Medicine in the US as a grad subject, right?

Your whole academic life from the age of 5 onward determines whether or not you go on to study Medicine here. It's post-grad too, but still 5 years whatever way you look at it. After that it's a residency.
You can take Pre-Med as undergrad, but I'm not sure if it's necessary - I'm guessing if you didn't take that program all you'd have to do is take any prerequisite classes that you missed before heading into a doctoral program.

theacoustician said:

I don't know yet which I would pick. I know it will either be CmpE or CS, though. And it will be at least a full year before it is an issue. As for having two fulltime jobs. The manager already told me if it gets to be an issue, he will let me drop down to part time while I'm taking classes. He laughed saying he has hired a lot of married people who were gung-ho about having the job supporting their family and getting a ph.d. About a year into it, they come to him looking like a zombie asking for help. :) So, he understands that it is a time commitment.

That being said, I don't know what the workload at the new job would be like.

All I really know is that I'm afraid that I simply have a dislike for programmers in their job environment. I know I like programming. But with how burned out I am from my job, i don't even want to look at a computer when I get home. (Which reminds me, Spange, I swear I haven't completely forgotten that project you wanted me to do.)

taeric said:
I don't know yet which I would pick. I know it will either be CmpE or CS, though. And it will be at least a full year before it is an issue. As for having two fulltime jobs. The manager already told me if it gets to be an issue, he will let me drop down to part time while I'm taking classes. He laughed saying he has hired a lot of married people who were gung-ho about having the job supporting their family and getting a ph.d. About a year into it, they come to him looking like a zombie asking for help. :) So, he understands that it is a time commitment.

That being said, I don't know what the workload at the new job would be like.

All I really know is that I'm afraid that I simply have a dislike for programmers in their job environment. I know I like programming. But with how burned out I am from my job, i don't even want to look at a computer when I get home. (Which reminds me, Spange, I swear I haven't completely forgotten that project you wanted me to do.)
If it makes you feel any better, I was that way with AV till I switched jobs. Made a world of difference. Since your possible new boss sounds cool, I would imagine that it'll be more laid back than your current position.

theacoustician said:
If it makes you feel any better, I was that way with AV till I switched jobs. Made a world of difference. Since your possible new boss sounds cool, I would imagine that it'll be more laid back than your current position.

My current position only sucks because I'm tired of "putting out fires." Especially when most of the disasters have resulted from the quick fixes my bosses have done.

It is so bad that they don't even know the API for most of the stuff they do. I argued that using things in a way that they API is not intended is a bad idea. Doesn't stop them, though.